Sure, you can binge The Watcher on Netflix or try reading that self-help book (again…). But why resign yourself to the couch when the oven is calling your name? Feel productive—and reward yourself with dessert—with these 70 fun things to bake instead. Whether you’re just bored or need to whip something sweet up on the fly, your taste buds will thank you for the following cookies, cakes, pies and more.
70 Fun Things to Bake When You’re Bored and Craving Something Sweet
- Time Commitment: 20 minutes
- Why We Love It: gluten free, dairy free, <30 minutes, <10 ingredients
These sweet-and-salty handhelds, made with sugar-free peanut butter, keep in the freezer for up to three months. (That means you can bake some whenever you get a craving.) Bonus: You probably have everything you need to make them already on hand.
- Time Commitment: 55 minutes
- Why We Love It: beginner-friendly, crowd-pleaser, make ahead
The key to this fall-inspired cake is boiling apple cider until it reduces into a highly concentrated, flavorful syrup. One bite, and it'll become your new favorite lazy Sunday baking project in the fall.
- Time Commitment: 5 minutes
- Why We Love It: beginner-friendly, <10 ingredients, <30 minutes
Because graham crackers, chocolate and toasted marshmallows still taste divine together in the dead of winter. And in this iteration, you don't have to brave the great outdoors when it's below freezing to enjoy the combo.
- Time Commitment: 45 minutes
- Why We Love It: special occasion-worthy, kid-friendly, make ahead
There’s truly nothing your muffin tin can’t do. Oh, and FYI, there’s no way you’ll be able to stop after just one.
- Time Commitment: 2 hours and 15 minutes
- Why We Love It: no-bake, gluten free, vegan, special occasion-worthy
A sprinkling of rose tea is a great substitute if you don’t have dried rose petals in the spice cabinet (or don’t feel like searching for them at the store).
- Time Commitment: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Why We Love It: gluten free, special occasion-worthy, crowd-pleaser
Think meringue topped with roasted, spiced apples and honey-vanilla whipped cream. So light, yet so decadent.
- Time Commitment: 1 hour and 25 minutes (plus chilling time)
- Why We Love It: gluten free, dairy free, vegan, special occasion-worthy, crowd-pleaser
We fell hard for both the gingersnap crust and the candied ginger-pistachio topping, but they merely gild the chocolate lily.
Taryn Pire is PureWow’s associate food editor. A former bartender and barista, she’s been writing about all things delicious since 2016, developing recipes, reviewing restaurants and investigating food trends at Food52, New Jersey Family Magazine and Taste Talks. When she isn’t testing TikTok’s latest viral recipe, she’s having popcorn for dinner and posting about it on Instagram @cookingwithpire.