You’ve just watched The Sandlot on TV. (Again.) You’ve got a craving for s’mores. (Naturally.) You’ve got the ingredients on hand. (Yes.) Just one little problem: There’s no way you’re building a fire to cook them the traditional way. (Crap.) So what’s the solution? Make them in the oven. Layer graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows in a cast-iron skillet and pop that bad boy under the broiler for a few minutes. The ’mallows will be toasty and the chocolate melted just enough--without all the fuss. (You’re welcome.)
12 graham-cracker squares
3 chocolate bars, broken into pieces (or 1⅓ cups chocolate chips)
12 jumbo marshmallows
1. Preheat the broiler on high heat.
2. In a medium cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, arrange half the graham crackers in the base of the pan.
3. Place the chocolate on top of the graham crackers in an even layer. Top the chocolate with marshmallows. You can let them touch, but give them a little room to spread.
4. Place the pan under the broiler and watch for the marshmallows to toast, about 1 to 2 minutes. (This can happen pretty fast, so keep an eye on them.) When the marshmallows are golden brown, remove the pan from the broiler, using an oven mitt.
5. Let cool slightly, then top with the remaining graham crackers. Serve immediately.