Giant Brown-Sugar Snickerdoodle Cookies
Introducing giant brown-sugar snickerdoodle cookies, the over-the-top comfort food of our dreams.
“Extra brown sugar makes these cookies crackly and chewy,” chef and recipe developer Erin McDowell tells us. “They’re rolled in cinnamon and granulated sugar, which causes delicious caramelization to occur on the bottom.”
Our only question: Milk or no milk?
1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¼ cups (226g) dark brown sugar
2 large (113g) eggs, at room temperature
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups (362g) all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
Pinch of fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make the Cookie Dough: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until well combined, about 1 minute each. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and ½ teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and mix until combined, about 2 minutes.
5. Scoop the dough into ⅓ cup portions and shape into balls. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, sea salt and remaining 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll each ball of dough in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until well coated.
6. Transfer the balls to the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 3 inches of space between each one to allow room for spreading. Press each cookie to about ½ inch thick using your hand.
7. Bake until the cookies are set and slightly golden at the edge but appear almost underdone in the middle, 10 to 11 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheets.