Eating good chocolate is my ultimate vice. Whether it’s a flavorful bar with a satisfying crunch or a piece of sweet truffle with an innovative twist, I can never turn down an opportunity to indulge. But not all chocolates are created equal. There’s the mainstream candy bar, which is all the rage during Halloween season, and then there’s gourmet chocolate, the decadent treat that can take your palate to a whole new level.
Given my obsession with artisanal chocolates, I decided to taste test the best of the best and rank each of them, from ice cream-inspired bonbons to cocoa truffle bars. But before I dive into each review, here’s a breakdown of how I rated them:
- Value (Is it worth the price?)
- Quality (Is it rich? Does it melt on the tongue or does it taste like wax?)
- Aesthetics (Does the packaging catch your eye?)
- Texture (Is it creamy and smooth, or grainy and chalky?)
- Flavor (Is there depth of flavor? Does it taste artificial?)
I’ve sampled my fair share of chocolates over the years, but the following 25 brands definitely stand out.