23 Grapefruit Recipes to Make While It’s in Season
Oranges, limes and lemons always get the spotlight, but we’re all about the grapefruit this season. Its tangy, complex flavor and sweet-and-savory versatility make us want to cook (and bake) with the citrus from now until spring. Enter these 23 grapefruit recipes, which we plan on making all winter long.
1. Broiled Citrus Ricotta Toast
Avocado, shmavocado. We’re topping our brioche with honey, ricotta and plenty of fresh grapefruit slices for the ultimate morning treat.
2. Ruby Red Grapefruit Panna Cotta
We took the timeless Italian dessert and gave it a modern and chic upgrade, with segments of bitter citrus to balance the sweet custard.
3. Citrus, Fennel and Avocado Salad
Peppery arugula, sharp fennel and creamy avocado are a match made in salad heaven, but the mixed citrus really ties everything together.
4. Grapefruit Wine
Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice is hard to beat on its own…but everything is better when you add a little rosé, right?
5. Citrus, Shrimp and Quinoa Salad with Feta
This bright, satisfying lunch bowl is make-ahead-friendly and takes just 20 minutes to whip up. That 1 p.m. slump won’t know what’s coming.
6. Ruby Vermouth Spritzers
Meet the Aperol spritz’s moody, wintry counterpart. This cocktail looks impressive, but you don’t have to be a fancy bartender to make a batch.
8. Broiled Grapefruit with Honey Yogurt and Granola
Grapefruit is a classic morning pick-me-up, but it’s not particularly filling on its own. Pair it with homemade granola and protein-rich yogurt and now we’re talking.
9. Baked Salmon with Grapefruit Salad
This looks like just the thing to lift us out of our carb-laden winter dinner rut.
10. Winter Kale Salad with Grapefruit and Balsamic Delicata Squash
Grapefruit has a slightly bitter finish, which makes it a fabulous pair for super-sweet delicata squash and hearty kale.
11. Glowing Citrus, Avocado, Quinoa and Blackened Salmon Salad
This is the prettiest bowl we’ve ever seen. (It doesn’t hurt that it takes just 30 minutes to make.)
12. Frosé Palomas
Oh look, two of our favorite cocktails decided to get together and make something delicious.
14. Winter Citrus Ricotta Breakfast Bowl with Honeycomb
Hello, plain oatmeal? Sorry, but we’re breaking up with you for this fancy-pants citrus situation.
15. Small-Batch Grapefruit, Olive Oil Yogurt Baked Doughnuts
They’re baked not fried, so you can have two. (At least that’s what we’re telling ourselves.)
16. Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
Shrimp is the ideal lazy dinner component because it takes almost no time to cook. Case in point? This 18-minute stunner.
17. White Chocolate Cardamom Blondies with Grapefruit Frosting
We never would have thought to combine cardamom and citrus, but it totally works. It doesn’t hurt that these sophisticated blondies are laced with brown butter.
18. The Mean Green Detox Salad
The chickpea-cabbage-kale combo feels virtuous, while the tahini dressing tastes indulgent. Yep, we’ve found our official post-holiday healthy-ish lunch.
19. Grapefruit Greek Yogurt Cake
Serve a slice to your one friend who says grapefruit is too sour. She’ll be smitten at first bite.
20. Spicy Grilled Salmon Salad with Grapefruit and Coconut
Are we on a tropical vacation? Nope, but it sure tastes like it.
21. Grapefruit Cardamom Gin Fizz
This would be just as appropriate at a casual Christmas gathering as it would at Sunday brunch.
22. Mixed Citrus, Gem Lettuce and Couscous Salad
If you’re convinced that winter has nothing to offer in the way of produce, think again.
23. Avocado, Grapefruit and Fennel Salad
The creamy avocado…the sharp, juicy grapefruit…yep, we officially have a crush on a salad. Can you blame us?