25 Hearty Winter Dinner Ideas That Take 1 Hour or Less
It’s cold. Like, really cold. And while you’re craving a stick-to-your-ribs meal, you also don’t want to wait eight billion hours for a pot roast to take its sweet time in the oven. No worries, friend. Here are 25 hearty winter dinner ideas, all of which take an hour or less to make.
1. One-Pan Spaghetti and Meatballs (30 minutes)
A classic choice with an updated twist. Consider this the lazy cook’s spaghetti and meatballs.
2. Cheater’s Italian Wedding Soup (1 hour)
It’s packed with beans, kale, Parm and tiny meatballs, so it’ll warm you from the inside out.
3. Roasted Squash Salad with White Beans, Bread Crumbs and Preserved Lemon (1 hour)
Salad? In winter? Trust us: This one has plenty of filling toppings that won’t leave you hungry in an hour.
4. Cheater’s Beef Stroganoff (30 minutes)
It’s buttery and rich, just like your mom used to make…except so much easier.
5. The Ultimate Pasta Pie (55 minutes)
This one is pretty much guaranteed to impress your dinner guests—even more so when they find out it took you less than an hour to make.
6. Kale Minestrone (1 hour)
It’s got all the usual suspects (greens, beans, cheese), plus a spoonful of pesto for a hint of freshness.
7. Skillet Gnocchi with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe (30 minutes)
You’re telling us you didn’t spend all day making this? Hmm, it definitely tastes like you did.
8. Baked Coconut-Curry Meatballs (45 minutes)
We’d like to dive straight into this sauce, but we’ll settle for dipping some naan in it instead.
9. Pasta Alla Norma (1 hour)
Cozy up to a bowl and you’ll feel like you’re in the sunny Italian Riviera.
10. Chicken with Feta Cheese, Dill, Lemon and Harissa Yogurt (50 minutes)
You had us at feta cheese (and again at harissa yogurt).
11. Ina Garten’s Baked Pasta with Tomatoes and Eggplant (30 minutes)
This 30-minute baked pasta is bubbly, cheesy and almost as good as a warm hug from the Barefoot Contessa herself.
12. Honey Mustard Sheet-Pan Chicken with Brussels Sprouts (50 minutes)
Fast, easy and minimal cleanup? Check, check and check.
13. Swedish Meatballs (40 minutes)
If you don’t serve them over a steaming bed of buttery mashed potatoes, are you really living?
14. Dijon-Maple Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash (55 minutes)
Not only is this a one-pan meal, it’s also surprisingly good for you. We call that a win-win.
15. Gluten-Free Cauliflower Gnocchi Pomodoro (50 minutes)
Tender pillows of cheesy heaven that happen to be low-carb? Sign us up.
16. Healthy Zuppa Toscana (50 minutes)
You can have a hearty, satisfying dinner without it being gut-busting or heavy, and this soup is proof.
17. One-Pot Cheater’s Bouillabaisse (30 minutes)
One bite and you’re not huddled under a blanket on your couch; you’re in the French countryside sipping a glass of white wine.
18. Loaded Baked Potato and Cauliflower Soup (1 hour)
Cold days call for creamy soups with lots of irresistible toppings, like sour cream, bacon and cheddar cheese.
19. Cheater’s White Wine Coq au Vin (55 minutes)
It’s hearty, yes, but it’s also elegant and damn easy to make. You’re basically Julia Child.
20. Skillet Steak with Asparagus and Potatoes (1 hour)
It’s too chilly to go out to eat, but with this foolproof, restaurant-level dish, you don’t even need to leave your house.
21. Chickpea and Vegetable Coconut Curry (30 minutes)
If you’ve got chickpeas and coconut milk in your pantry, you’re already halfway to dinnertime.
22. Easy One-Pan Baked Ziti (1 hour)
Baked ziti? A favorite. All the cleanup afterward? Not so much. Here, thankfully, the dishes are pretty much already done.
23. Greek Chicken and Rice Skillet (40 minutes)
Everyone is coming over for dinner and you don’t know what to cook? We have an idea.
24. 5-Ingredient Smoked Gouda-Thyme Mac and Cheese (50 minutes)
Few meals are more comforting than a bowl of ooey-gooey mac and cheese. This one is kind of fancy, because you’re better than a blue box.
25. Chicken Gnocchi Soup (40 minutes)
Chicken soup, we could never forget you. Crumble in some crackers and we’re in business.