Whether you’re making a big batch of soup, baking bread, braising beef or roasting a whole chicken, nothing gets the job done like a Dutch oven. Technically a French oven (a real Dutch oven is a deep, cast-iron pot that was invented by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 1700s…but we digress), these big pots can do it all on the stove and in the oven alike. Here are the 50 best Dutch oven recipes to try this winter.
The 50 Best Dutch Oven Recipes to Cozy Up with This Winter
1. Slow-cooker Whole Chicken With Potatoes
Just swap the Crock-Pot for your Dutch oven and roast them low and slow.
2. French Onion Brisket
You’ll want to bookmark this genius mashup now, so you remember to add it to your Hanukkah menu later.
3. Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
OK, so pasta might not be what comes to mind when you think of Dutch oven recipes. But cooking the garlic oil in a high-sided pot allows you to toss the spaghetti more evenly and vigorously.
4. Restorative Miso Noodle Soup
Hearty soba noodles, meaty mushrooms and umami-rich miso paste star in this probiotic, soul-warming dish.
5. Slow-cooker Korean Short Rib Tacos
Fact: No pot or appliance braises beef like a Dutch oven. Once the meat is fall-apart soft, pair the tacos with crunchy cabbage and briny pickle spears.
6. Jamaican Oxtail
Speaking of fork-tender braised beef, this Caribbean staple wants to make your acquaintance. The oxtails are simmered in homemade jerk BBQ sauce.
7. No-knead Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
Baking bread in a Dutch oven gives your loaf the perfect inner texture and outer crust, thanks to the circulation of steam in the pot.
8. Steak Chili
Oh, you fancy, huh? Ground beef has nothing on this recipe that uses cubed stew meat instead.
9. Cranberry Beef Bourguignon
This one’s an adaptation of an Ina Garten recipe, in case the mashed potatoes, herbed cremini mushrooms and cognac aren’t enough to convince you.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar Pulled Pork
The acidity of the vinegar helps tenderize the bone-in pork shoulder.
11. Dutch Oven Idaho Potatoes
Oh, scalloped spuds and sliced bacon drenched in heavy cream, white wine and sharp cheddar… where have you been all our life?
12. Seafood Gumbo
Between the shucked oysters, jumbo shrimp and juicy crab claws, we truly can’t decide where to start. We’ll munch on the okra while we mull it over.
13. Super Easy No-knead Pumpkin Bread Bowls
Aka the simplest way to upgrade your favorite fall soup.
14. Braised Beef Short Ribs
Don’t have Cabernet Sauvignon? Pinot Noir is also a great red wine for cooking beef.
15. One-pot Orange Honey Garlic Roasted Chicken
Ain’t she a beaut? Whip this up for your next winter dinner party—it’s citrus season, after all.
16. The Best Damn Tomato Soup
Want a grilled cheese to go with that? We have a few ideas…
17. Bourbon Peach Bbq Baked Beans
Yup, you’ll be making these for every cookout you host or attend ’til the end of time.
This Latin pork shoulder dish is a no-brainer when it comes to feeding a crowd. Even better, most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
19. White Wine Braised Short Ribs With Buttered Mushroom Cream Sauce
We can’t stress the comfort food factor of this entrée enough.
20. Whole Roasted Chipotle Chicken
No one at the table will believe it only took you four ingredients (including the bird).
21. Curried Parsnip And Apple Soup
Warm spices like curry powder, coriander and ginger are just the match for tart apples and nutty parsnips.
22. Jamaican Rice And Peas
Creamed coconut offers just a touch of sweetness to kidney beans and rice.
23. Braised Short Ribs
Psst: Want to know the secret to the sweet-and-savory sauce? Root beer.
24. Autumn Braised Chicken Escabèche With Roasted Apples And Grapes
No turkey? No problem. This main is sure to steal the show at Thanksgiving.
25. Lemon And Herb Roast Chicken
It truly doesn’t get simpler than butter, lemon and fresh herbs. Shred up the leftovers for salad, soup or pasta.
26. Slow-cooker French Onion Soup
Fair warning: Your home is about to smell exquisite.
27. Cuban Mojo Roast Pork
Traditional mojo is made with olive oil, garlic and citrus juice. This one stars pan drippings (um, yum).
28. Cheater’s No-knead Dutch Oven Sourdough Bread
Because you’re basically an expert after all that quarantine baking.
29. Spicy Lemon-ginger Chicken Soup
Citrus, jalapeño and fresh greens give this winter recipe some much-needed brightness.
30. Antoni Porowski’s Chile-maple Roast Chicken
Take it from Queer Eye’s resident foodie: “A roast chicken is a blank slate. Once you have the technique down, you can apply any flavors you like.”
31. Garlic And Ginger Braised Chicken
Just whip up a batch of steamed jasmine rice and dive in.
32. Quick And Easy Spicy Coconut Black Bean Soup
Since the recipe calls for canned beans, the soup only takes 35 minutes from start to finish.
33. Whole30 Chili
It’d taste even more delicious with a side of skillet cornbread…just sayin’.
34. Cheater’s White Wine Coq Au Vin
One bite and boom: You’re in Paris, mon chéri.
35. Middle Eastern Spiced Chicken With Baked Rice And Pistachio
Cumin, turmeric and za’atar, oh my!
Get the recipe
36. Toasted Cauliflower And Brie Baked Rosemary Risotto
Hey now, hey now, this (read: cheese) is what dreams are made of.
37. Cider Braised Pot Roast With Caramelized Onions And Cauliflower Rice
P.S.: There’s sage brown butter in the rice, plus cubes of butternut squash.
38. Butternut Squash Lentil Stew
Sure, a hunk of crusty baguette is *technically* optional. But why deprive yourself?
39. Potato Soup With Bacon And Truffle Oil
A creamy soup is only as good as it’s toppings, and this one’s got bacon, cheese, green onions and sour cream. You do the math.
40. Easy Beef Stew
Coat the meat in flour before browning it. This not only ensures a flavorful outer crust, but also helps thicken the stew.
41. Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Like a snuggly liquid blanket.
42. Osso Buco
Want to impress? Look no further than this Milanese gem.
43. Garlic Roasted Chicken With Vegetables
BRB, slathering everything we own in homemade herb butter.
44. French Dip Sandwich
Fork-tender flank steak? For us? Au jus shouldn’t have.
45. Blueberry Lemon Oven Pancake
Tell your casserole dish to sit this one out.
46. One Pot Chicken Stuffing Casserole
For anyone who always makes a second plate of nothing but stuffing on Thanksgiving.
47. Pot Roast With Tart Cherry-black Pepper Sauce
Salty, funky Gorgonzola is a genius finishing touch.
48. Baked Balsamic Vegetables
Check the veggies halfway through cooking to make sure there’s enough liquid still in the pot to keep them from burning.
49. No-knead Cinnamon Rolls
Come for the rolls, stay for the tangy cream cheese glaze.
50. Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
Gild the lily with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.