Oh, grilled cheese. We’ll never get over you. While it’s still appropriate for a 6-year-old (no crust, please), it can also be a pretty sophisticated treat for us grown-ups. Here, 23 grilled cheese ideas that go beyond white bread and American singles.
23 Grilled Cheese Ideas That Will Seriously Upgrade Your Lunch
1. Blackberry-peach Grilled Cheese
Not only does a triple-dose of fontina, goat and Emmentaler make this sammy salty and creamy, but the fresh fruit gives it a burst of tart, juicy sweetness too.
2. Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup Casserole
A match made in heaven that’s ready to devour in an hour.
3. Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches With Balsamic Beets
Fancy enough to have for dinner with a side salad and glass of Sauv Blanc.
4. Cheesy Roasted Mushroom Melts
Crusty Italian bread, Portobello mushrooms, mozz, ricotta and cream cheese. And the crowd goes wild.
5. Triple-decker Grilled Cheese
The easiest way to level up the classic dish? Extra cheese (and bread).
6. Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Bites
You should probably make a double batch—your kids won’t be able to control themselves.
7. Rainbow Grilled Cheese
A few drops of food coloring give this basic sandwich a magical spin.
8. Hummus Grilled Cheese
Roasted garlic hummus is just the pairing for spicy arugula and sharp cheddar.
9. Tomato Soup In Grilled Cheese Bread Bowls
Panera who? We turned the bread bowl topper into a mini handheld that was born to be dunked.
10. Kennebunkport Lobster Grilled Cheese
Oh, you fancy, huh? This gem stars mascarpone and provolone cheeses, as well as hearty chunks of meaty Maine lobster.
11. Crispy Kale Grilled Cheese With Fried Eggs
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you eat grilled cheese for breakfast.
12. Blueberry, Brie And Lemon Curd Grilled Cheese
Honey and store-bought lemon curd make this lunch almost decadent enough to eat for dessert.
13. Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Cranberry Mustard
Holiday leftovers never looked so good.
14. Spicy Mini Meatball Grilled Cheese
Sorry, spaghetti. No hard feelings?
15. Recovery Cherry Basil Provolone Gluten-free Grilled Cheese
You’re looking at the ultimate post-workout meal, loaded with anti-inflammatory cherries, restorative chia seed bread and immunity-boosting basil.
16. Reuben Grilled Cheese
We weren’t sure it was possible but pressing the sandwich in a waffle iron will make it even more golden-brown and crispy.
17. Avocado Grilled Cheese
So simple it’s foolproof. The goat cheese and mozzarella are mixed right into the avocado filling.
18. Patty Melt Grilled Cheese
Traditional rye bread, ground beef and sautéed onions meet mayo, sharp cheddar and Swiss.
19. Peach Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese
The recipe calls for store-bought preserves, but we won’t blame you for throwing in a few fresh peach slices too.
20. Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Because there’s no better home for cheesy scrambled eggs and crumbled sausage than between two slices of toast.
21. Chicken Parmesan Grilled Cheese
Sure, you can use grilled chicken breast if you insist. But we’ll take ours breaded and fried.
22. Easy Air-fryer Bacon Grilled Cheese
There’s officially nothing your air fryer can’t do. Toss a few shoestring fries in there while you’re at it to round out your meal.
23. Grown-up Guacamole Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Salty bacon, creamy guac and gooey grilled cheese? The gang’s all here!