Everyone needs a handful of easy, go-to recipes that never disappoint. Let us introduce you to our new favorite. This simple, comforting one-pan baked ziti comes together in an hour. So get your skillet ready—and get this recipe into your dinner rotation, stat.
4 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
1 pound ground Italian sausage (we used a blend of regular and spicy)
3 garlic cloves, minced
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups water
12 ounces ziti pasta
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1¼ cups fresh mozzarella, finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat a large (12-inch) oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until it’s golden and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Crumble the sausage into the pan and sauté until fully cooked, 4 to 5 minutes more. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
3. Add the tomatoes to the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and oregano. Add the water and bring the mixture to a steady simmer.
4. Stir in the pasta and make sure it’s fully submerged in the sauce. Simmer until the pasta is al dente and the sauce has thickened a bit, 10 to 11 minutes.
5. While the pasta cooks, preheat the oven to 400°F. When the pasta is al dente, stir the Parmesan into the sauce/pasta mixture.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and then sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the surface. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and let the pasta cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with basil and parsley, and serve immediately.