35 Halloween Dinner Ideas for Adults
It’s Halloween: If you’re lucky enough *not* to be chaperoning a gang of candy-seeking, costumed children, you’re probably making dinner plans. And whether your night involves burrowing into the couch with a spooky movie or hosting a low-key (and socially distant) dinner party with your fellow non-trick-or-treaters, we’ve got 35 Halloween dinner ideas that are festive, seasonal and scary-delicious. Need a few more menu ideas? We've got you covered with spooky Halloween cocktails to serve and Halloween desserts that will round out your meal.
1. Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Herbed White Wine Sauce
While everyone else is out trick-or-treating, you’ll be lounging on the couch with a big bowl of this homemade gnocchi (and a glass of wine).
2. Easy One-Pot Lentil Kielbasa Soup
Tonight is all about staying cozy. This hearty, healthy dinner will do just fine.
3. Yotam Ottolenghi's Roasted Butternut Squash with Lentils and Gorgonzola
After all, it is squash season.
4. Cheater’s Sicilian-Style Pizza with Jalapeños and Honey
Skip the subpar takeout pizza (talk about spooky) and make this homemade version instead. It’s cheesy, spicy and—best of all—ready in 30 minutes flat.
5. Slow-Cooker Chicken Potpie Soup
This soup has not one but two tricks up its sleeve: store-bought biscuit dough and your trusty Crock-Pot.
6. Kale Salad with Persimmons, Crispy Chickpeas and Fried Shallots
This is to offset all the Halloween candy we’ll inevitably eat in the upcoming days (or weeks).
7. Instant Pot Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is all about maximum flavor and minimum effort, so naturally it takes just 30 minutes to whip up. Psst: Use pre-chopped squash to make it even easier.
8. Cornish Hens in Parchment Paper
We think we just found the easiest Halloween dinner in the history of ever—the veggies and chicken steam in their packets, so the parchment does all the hard work. Even better, the cleanup is a breeze.
9. Cheater’s Slow-Cooker Beef Bourguignon
Beef stew, but make it fancy…and then tell everyone at the party you’re being Julia Child for Halloween.
10. Healthy Slow-Cooker Turkey and White Bean Chili Recipe
Few things are more comforting than a steaming bowl of chili on an, ahem, chilly evening. This one has ground turkey to keep it light.
11. Low-Carb Zucchini Enchiladas
Sure, they’re healthier for you—that’s not why we’re making them on repeat. It’s because they’re also really delicious.
12. Antoni Porowski’s Moroccan-Style Pasta Bolognese
The next best thing to getting Queer Eye’s food expert in our kitchen? His meaty, tasty pasta sauce. Make it ahead and store it in the freezer if you’re into dinner meal-prepping.
13. Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowls
Guys, come on. This is a Halloween no-brainer.
14. Spicy Turkey Enchiladas with Pumpkin Seeds
Enchiladas, but make it autumnal.
15. Hearty Stuffed Butternut Squash
Who needs a bowl when you’ve got a gourd? They’re filled with quinoa, chickpeas, Gruyère and all the good stuff.
16. Pumpkin Pizza Crust with Arugula and Prosciutto
While we’re here, we might as well stay on theme. This easy and festive pizza recipe makes great use of the canned pumpkin you already have in your pantry.
17. Macaroni and Cheese in Acorn Squash Bowls
This is—dare we say it?—better than a bowl of Halloween candy.
18. One-Pan Creamy Chicken Fricassee with Sage
What’s the opposite of spooky and scary? Glossy, saucy chicken in a skillet (with almost no cleanup) is what.
19. Pumpkin Polenta
Rich, creamy and oh-so-seasonal. You can use fresh or canned pumpkin, depending on how fancy you want to get.
20. Split Pea Soup with Ham
Raise your hand if you grew up eating your mom’s split pea soup every fall. This one will bring back all the nostalgic dinner feelings.
22. Butternut Squash Risotto with Crispy Leeks
Risotto is the ultimate comfort food, even when unadorned. Add creamy squash to fall-ify it, and you’ll be going back for seconds (or thirds).
23. Spicy Bucatini Amatriciana
Spooky? Nope. Spicy? You bet. This pasta will become a weeknight regular long past Halloween night.
24. Sausage, Corn and Poblano Chowder
When you’re sufficiently chilly and tired from handing out candy, come inside to a bowl of chowder that will warm you right up.
26. Honey Mustard Sheet-Pan Chicken with Brussels Sprouts
On our ideal Halloween dinner checklist? Fast, easy, minimal cleanup and tastier than a king-size chocolate bar.
27. Mac and Cheese with Crispy Parmesan-Phyllo Crust
The decadent, cheesy pasta is just waiting to emerge from that gorgeous blanket of phyllo rosettes.
28. Roasted Squash and Tofu with Soy, Honey, Chili and Ginger
This is technically a side dish, but we recommend serving it as a vegetarian main course with rice on the side.
30. Spinach and Three-Cheese Stuffed Shells
It’s not every day that we dig into a melty skillet full of cheesy, meaty pasta. But it’s Halloween and we’re going all out.
31. Alison Roman’s Roasted Squash with Yogurt and Spiced Buttered Pistachios
Get ready: It’s almost Winter Squash Season.
32. Baked Coconut-Curry Meatballs
FYI, baking your meatballs instead of pan-frying them ensures a tender, melt-in-your-mouth texture that can’t be topped.
35. 30-Minute Coq Au Vin Chicken Meatballs with Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
You had us at browned butter mashed potatoes, but the 30-minute cooking time certainly sweetens the deal.