40 Black Bean Recipes That Go Beyond Burrito Bowls
We’ve all been there: staring at the pantry and wondering what on earth we should make with that random can of black beans. But considering those little guys are packed with protein and fiber, vegetarian-friendly and make a pretty much endlessly versatile base for healthy meals, it shouldn’t be so hard. (You don’t even have to soak them!) Ready to board the legume train? You’re in luck—we have 40 black bean recipes to try tonight.
1. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Blue Cheese Crema
We give you full permission to eat four.
4. 10-Minute Pineapple Black Bean Tostadas
Go Tex-Mex in mere minutes.
7. Salmon Bowl with Farro, Black Beans and Tahini Dressing
Jam-packed with protein.
8. Baked Bean Dip
Making this for every party until the end of time.
9. Avocado and Black Bean Pasta Salad
Eat the leftovers for lunch all week.
12. Spicy Soyrizo and Black Bean Empanadas
Who knew you could whip up empanadas from a can?
13. Skinny Black Bean and Veggie Mexican Pizza
The kids will love this (and so will the adults).
14. Vegan Black Bean and Corn Burgers
Make a few extra patties and freeze them for next week’s dinner.
15. Game Day Beer Chili
Or as we like to call it, everyday beer chili.
16. Slow-Cooker Black Bean, Quinoa and Chicken Tortilla Soup
We’ll be eating this one all winter long.
17. Cuban Black Beans and Rice with Baked Plantains and Red Peppers
The next best thing to a trip to Cienfuegos.
18. Chipotle Black Bean, Brown Rice and Mango Quesadillas
Reinvent Taco Tuesday.
20. Chicken Santa Fe
A new family staple.
21. Overstuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle-Lime Yogurt
The sweet potatoes will keep for five days in the fridge, so you can totally roast them ahead of time. Meal prep, anyone?
22. Quick and Easy Spicy Coconut Black Bean Soup
Need proof that dinner can be both flavorful and low-effort? Look no further. This dish takes 35 minutes from start to finish.
23. Low-Carb Zucchini Enchiladas
Tortillas, we hardly knew ye. (FYI, this one reheats really well, so you can make a big batch and eat it all week.)
24. Slow-Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
The most difficult thing you’ll have to do is open a bag of tortilla chips.
25. Black Bean Hummus
Break out a bowl at your next cocktail party and watch it disappear like magic.
26. Quick Guacamole Quinoa Salad
If a dip and a salad had a very delicious baby, this would be it.
27. Slow-Cooker Meal-Prep Burrito Bowls
Pack one for your kid and it will inspire all the lunch envy.
28. Portobello and Avocado Quesadillas with Magic Green Sauce
The classic chicken and cheese filling is getting a little stale. Spice things up with crispy mushrooms, creamy avocado and, of course, beans.
29. One-Pot Vegetarian Chili
Chili in an hour? You bet it’s possible. And you won’t even miss the meat.
30. Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
Roasted corn, black beans, fresh cilantro, sweet potato mash, spicy chipotle and melted cheese, all loaded into our favorite orange tuber—what’s not to love?
31. Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins
You totally can’t taste the beans in this delicious treat but they add tons of protein and fiber. Your kids will never know the difference.
32. Tofu Scallion Black Bean Scramble
A protein-packed breakfast that will keep you going until lunch. Tip: Don’t skip the tahini, it adds delightful creaminess to your eggs.
33. Chipotle Lime Shrimp Bowls
The best part about this easy dish is how customizable it is—feel free to substitute whatever grains, protein or vegetables you have on hand. Just don’t skimp on the chipotle marinade.
34. Black Bean Butternut Sliders With Chipotle Ketchup
They’re small so go ahead and have two (or three).
35. High-Protein Black Bean Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwiches
If you’ve got five minutes then you have enough time to make this healthy and satisfying no-cook lunch.
36. Avocado and Black Bean Tortas
This flavor-packed sandwich makes your ham and cheese look plain-old dull.
37. Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
You could team this zesty salad with tortilla chips, add it to a green salad or serve it on top of a burger. Or you could just enjoy it straight out of the bowl with just a spoon. It’s that good.
38. Spicy Poblano, Black Bean and Quinoa Enchiladas
A hearty vegetarian main that uses up lots of pantry staples like onions, garlic, beans, quinoa and spices. Plus all the cheese because, well, it’s cheese.
39. Healthy Avocado Black Bean Brownies
Who says that eating healthy means skipping dessert? Not us. These dairy-free and gluten-free black bean brownies are nutritious and delicious.
40. Mini Nachos
Permission to eat nachos for dinner granted.