We’ve all been there: staring at the pantry and wondering what on earth we should make with that random can of black beans. But considering those little guys are packed with protein and fiber, are vegetarian-friendly and make a versatile base for healthy meals (hello salads, soups and grain bowls), it shouldn’t be so hard to find some inspiration. You don’t even have to soak them! Ready to board the legume train? You’re in luck—we have 55 black bean recipes for you to try.
55 Black Bean Recipes That Go Beyond Burrito Bowls
1. Sweet Potato And Black Bean Tacos With Blue Cheese Crema
We give you full permission to eat four.
2. Sweet Potato Chili With Turkey And Black Beans
This one can easily be made vegan; just replace the ground turkey with more black beans (or another type of bean).
3. Huevos Rancheros With Black Beans And Chipotle Salsa
Savory brunchers, this one is for you. The best part is that it takes less than 20 minutes to make.
4. Instant Pot Black Bean Chili
A pressure cooker makes quick work of soups and stews that would normally take hours to make. This recipe uses dried black beans, but there’s no need to soak them beforehand.
5. Quinoa Bowl
When we picture a delicious, filling, non-sad lunch salad, this is exactly what we have in mind.
6. Ultimate Vegan Black Bean Burgers With Creamy Tahini Garlic Sauce
Say buh-bye to the freezer aisle veggie burgers that always let you down. These are plant-based and packed with protein (and you can even freeze them yourself).
7. Quinoa Black Bean Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
There’s no ground beef in sight and—no offense to ground beef—that is a very good thing.
8. Loaded Breakfast Nachos
We wouldn’t mind waking up to skillet nachos blanketed in cheese.
9. Butternut Squash Quesadilla With Caramelized Onion
Are quesadillas the ultimate quick, convenient, crowd-pleasing dinner? That’s a rhetorical question.
Get the recipe
10. Fresh Black Bean Salad
This would make an excellent filling for lettuce wraps or burritos…or a chunky dip for tortilla chips.
11. Cheater’s Power Salad
What makes it a power salad? Well, it’s cheap, easy to make and requires just five minutes of prep. Oh, and it’s darn tasty.
12. Easy Chorizo Sweet Potato Tacos With Black Beans
The filling itself is just three flavorful ingredients, so you can spend time prepping your favorite toppings.
13. Black Bean Butternut Sliders With Chipotle Ketchup
They’re obviously mini so you can eat more of them.
14. Easy Southwest Black Bean Polenta Casserole
It’s gluten-free, vegetarian and freezer-friendly. What more could you ask for?
15. Veggie Black Bean Enchiladas
They’re filled with broccoli, spinach and bell pepper, but you could swap in other veggies if you want.
16. Instant Pot Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
Dinner is ready in 30 minutes.
17. Cuban Black Beans And Rice With Baked Plantains And Red Peppers
The next best thing to a trip to Cienfuegos.
18. Chipotle Black Bean, Brown Rice And Mango Quesadillas
Reinvent Taco Tuesday.
19. Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
Corn, rice and ground beef bring serious flavor, but chipotle Gouda takes these over the top.
20. Chicken Santa Fe
A new family staple.
21. Overstuffed Sweet Potatoes With Chipotle-lime Yogurt
The sweet potatoes will keep for five days in the fridge, so you can totally roast them ahead of time. Meal prep, anyone?
22. Quick And Easy Spicy Coconut Black Bean Soup
Need proof that dinner can be both flavorful and low-effort? Look no further. This dish takes 35 minutes from start to finish.
23. Low-carb Zucchini Enchiladas
Tortillas, we hardly knew ye. (FYI, this one reheats really well, so you can make a big batch and eat it all week.)
24. Slow-cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
The most difficult thing you’ll have to do is open a bag of tortilla chips.
25. Black Bean Hummus
Break out a bowl at your next cocktail party and watch it disappear like magic.
26. Quick Guacamole Quinoa Salad
If a dip and a salad had a very delicious baby, this would be it.
27. Slow-cooker Meal-prep Burrito Bowls
Pack one for your kid and it will inspire all the lunch envy.
28. Portobello And Avocado Quesadillas With Magic Green Sauce
The classic chicken and cheese filling is getting a little stale. Spice things up with crispy mushrooms, creamy avocado and, of course, beans.
29. One-pot Vegetarian Chili
Chili in an hour? You bet it’s possible. And you won’t even miss the meat.
30. Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
Roasted corn, black beans, fresh cilantro, sweet potato mash, spicy chipotle and melted cheese, all loaded into our favorite orange tuber—what’s not to love?
31. Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins
You totally can’t taste the beans in this delicious treat, but they add tons of protein and fiber. Your kids will never know the difference.
32. Tofu Scallion Black Bean Scramble
A protein-packed breakfast that will keep you going until lunch. Tip: Don’t skip the tahini, it adds delightful creaminess to your eggs.
33. Chipotle Lime Shrimp Bowls
The best part about this easy dish is how customizable it is—feel free to substitute whatever grains, protein or vegetables you have on hand. Just don’t skimp on the chipotle marinade.
34. Black Bean Butternut Sliders With Chipotle Ketchup
They’re small, so go ahead and have two (or three).
35. High-protein Black Bean Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwiches
If you’ve got five minutes then you have enough time to make this healthy and satisfying no-cook lunch.
36. Avocado And Black Bean Tortas
This flavor-packed sandwich makes your ham and cheese look plain-old dull.
37. Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
You could team this zesty salad with tortilla chips, add it to a green salad or serve it on top of a burger. Or you could just enjoy it straight out of the bowl with just a spoon. It’s that good.
38. Spicy Poblano, Black Bean And Quinoa Enchiladas
A hearty vegetarian main that uses up lots of pantry staples like onions, garlic, beans, quinoa and spices. Plus all the cheese because, well, it’s cheese.
39. Healthy Avocado Black Bean Brownies
Who says that eating healthy means skipping dessert? Not us. These dairy-free and gluten-free black bean brownies are nutritious and delicious.
40. Black Bean Salad
Keep it simple with this satisfying, creamy-crunchy salad.
41. Crock-pot Pork Adobo With Black Beans
Let it stew.
42. 10-minute Pineapple Black Bean Tostadas
Go Tex-Mex in mere minutes.
43. Cuban Black Bean & Mango Bowl
Havana, ooh na-na (ay)...
44. Roasted Sweet Potato And Black Bean Salad With Fresh Pineapple Corn Salsa
The key to impressing guests without a lot of effort? Homemade salsa.
45. Salmon Bowl With Farro, Black Beans And Tahini Dressing
Jam-packed with protein.
46. Baked Bean Dip
Making this for every party until the end of time.
47. Avocado And Black Bean Pasta Salad
Eat the leftovers for lunch all week.
48. Black Bean Skillet Scramble With Cheesy Polenta
Win brunch, with the help of silky polenta.
49. Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup
Lunch will be ready in a pinch (and it's loaded with carrots and celery, for an added dose of veggies).
50. Vegan Black Bean And Corn Burgers
Make a few extra patties and freeze them for next week’s dinner.
51. Skinny Black Bean And Veggie Mexican Pizza
The kids will love this (and so will the adults).
52. Spicy Soyrizo And Black Bean Empanadas
Who knew you could whip up empanadas from a can?
53. Slow-cooker Black Bean, Quinoa And Chicken Tortilla Soup
We’ll be eating this one all winter long.
54. Game Day Beer Chili
Or as we like to call it, everyday beer chili.
55. Mini Nachos
Permission to eat nachos for dinner granted.