While we love chopping up a winter squash, tossing it in olive oil and roasting it in the oven, there are so many more inspiring ways to prepare it. Whether you prefer butternut, kabocha, delicata or another gourd, here are 80 winter squash recipes to make from now until spring, whether you’re in the mood for lighter fare, like roasted squash salad bowls, or straight-up comfort food (bring on the mac and cheese).
80 Winter Squash Recipes to Make from Now Until Spring
1. Caramelized Butternut Squash Upside-down Cake
New Thanksgiving tradition? We think so.
2. Roasted Winter Vegetable Platter With Miso Aioli And Romesco Sauce
Nothing against raw veggies, but there’s something cozy and satisfying about a roasted crudités plate.
3. Butternut Squash Risotto With Crispy Leeks
Risotto never fails to put us in a good mood, but this fall-ified version takes the cake.
4. Chorizo-spiced Delicata Squash Tortas
A vegetarian sandwich that can be made ahead? Count us in.
5. Roasted Squash Salad With White Beans, Bread Crumbs And Preserved Lemon
If the squash’s skin is thin, you don’t even need to peel it.
6. Alison Roman’s Roasted Squash With Yogurt And Spiced Buttered Pistachios
We’re absolutely living for that lemon-yogurt sauce.
7. Roasted Squash And Tofu With Soy, Honey, Chili And Ginger
Don’t skip pressing the tofu—it’s the best way to get crispy results.
8. Instant Pot Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup
Oh hey, 30-minute dinner (or lunch).
9. Delicata Squash Rings With Garlic-lemon Sauce
Sorry, onion rings. We’ve found a new favorite appetizer. (Psst: The sauce starts with store-bough mayo.)
10. Dijon-maple Chicken With Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash
Just toss everything on a sheet tray and straight into the oven for an easy autumnal dinner.
11. Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
FYI, delicata squash skin is totally edible, so skip the tedious task of peeling.
12. Dorie Greenspan’s Roasted Acorn Squash Wedges
A pomegranate molasses glaze gives these cuties alllll the sweet and sour flavor.
13. Delicata Squash Agrodolce
Agrodolce is Italian for “sour and sweet,” and this vinegar-honey glazed squash is no exception.
14. Yotam Ottolenghi's Roasted Butternut Squash With Lentils And Gorgonzola
You can serve it warm—so the cheese gets deliciously melty—or at room temp.
15. Julia Turshen’s Radicchio And Roasted Squash Salad
Bitter lettuce and sweet squash is a match made in side-dish heaven.
16. Pizza With Butternut Squash
Tomatoes need not apply. (Yeah, we went there.)
17. Bulgur With Roasted Butternut Squash, Sage And Goat Cheese
It’s flavorful, warming and easy to prep—everything we want in a weeknight meal.
18. Hearty Stuffed Butternut Squash
Aren’t you fancy? (Looks can be deceiving. These are so easy to make.)
19. Vegan Spaghetti Squash With Mushroom Marinara Sauce
Carbs? We don’t know them.
20. Dairy-free Butternut Squash ‘fondue’
It’s just as smooth, tangy and dippable as the O.G. version., just minus the cheese and butter.
21. Butternut Squash And Goat Cheese Pasta Salad
We like to call this one “make-ahead magic,” since it’s even better the next day.
23. Macaroni And Cheese In Acorn Squash Bowls
We found love in a bowl-less place.
24. Butternut Squash Carbonara
No one will know it’s packed with hidden veggies, even your picky kids.
26. Vegan Butternut Mac And ‘cheese' With Smoky Shiitake ‘bacon'
This dish, however, contains no fromage at all. Squash is versatile like that.
27. Sage-barley Risotto With Butternut Squash
Instead of arborio rice, this dish uses barley. It’s quick-cooking and full of protein, a double whammy.
28. Honey Butter Roasted Acorn Squash With Burrata And Pomegranate
You had us at “honey butter,” and again at “burrata.”
29. Lima Bean Butternut Succotash
Serve it will a loaf of crusty bread for maximum effect.
30. Harvest Squash And Ricotta Stuffed Shells
It’s as cozy and delightful as your warmest fall sweater.
31. Savory Butternut Squash Garlic Swirl Rolls
This might be even better than a cinnamon roll, and that’s saying a lot.
32. Shredded Butternut Squash Pot Pies
The crust is made from masa harina, a type of flour made from corn kernels. (Read: It’s extra flavorful.)
33. Baked Butternut Squash Fries With Sage And Anchovy Aioli
You won’t find fries like these in the frozen aisle.
34. One-pan Chicken With Butternut Squash And Brussels Sprouts
The fewer the pans, the better the dinner.
35. Kabocha Squash Lentil Curry
Kabocha squash, also known as Japanese pumpkin, is extra sweet and creamy, so good luck saving any leftovers from this dish.
36. Vegan Baked Spaghetti Squash With Pumpkin And Green Onion Alfredo
We can’t believe it’s not dairy. (The secret is cashew cream.)
37. Roasted Squash With Burrata, Spicy Hazelnuts And Maple Vinaigrette
The spicy-sweet hazelnuts are just the cherry on top.
39. Butternut Squash Quesadilla With Caramelized Onion
Not today, chicken.
40. Wild Mushroom Roasted Squash Pizza
Even your favorite takeout place doesn’t have this on the menu.
41. Sheet Pan Sticky Pomegranate Chicken And Honey-roasted Squash
It sounds like a lot of work…but it’s ready in 40 minutes.
42. Savory Oatmeal With Roasted Butternut Squash And Sage And Walnut Pesto
Yes, you can and should eat squash for breakfast.
43. Butternut Squash Parmesan
You’ve heard of chicken Parm and eggplant Parm, but what about squash Parm?
44. Butternut Squash And Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Don’t forget the tortilla chips for serving.
46. Vegetable Lasagna With Butternut Squash And Shiitake Mushrooms
There are two types of cheese hidden among those layers.
47. Brown Butter Butternut Squash Pasta With Pancetta
All our favorite fall flavors got together in one bowl.
48. Coconut Miso Butternut Squash Soup
It has a little bit of everything: creamy, spicy, salty, sweet.
Get the recipe
49. Roasted Squash, Pecan And Pomegranate Salad
Save the plain old lettuce salad for another day.
50. Baked Butternut Squash Mac And Cheese
Magically, the squash makes this cheesy dish even more decadent.
51. Pan-roasted Honeynut Squash With Creamy Garlicky Pasta
Never heard of honeynut? It’s like the sweeter and more tender tiny cousin of butternut squash (and the star of this dish).
52. Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage And Harvest Veggies
Meal-prep and make-ahead friendly? Yes, please.
53. Creamy Fall Soup In Acorn Squash Bowls
Best of all, you don’t have to wash the bowls.
54. Warm Butternut Squash Dip With Gruyère And Pistachios
This beats sour cream and onion dip any day.
55. Butternut Squash Ravioli With Homemade Pasta
Homemade pasta only sounds difficult to make. It’s actually pretty easy (and calls for just two ingredients).
56. Harissa Roasted Cauliflower With Delicata Squash And Chickpeas
We love the combination of spicy harissa and sweet squash.
57. Spaghetti Squash Fritters
They’re like zucchini fritters, but for fall.
58. Butternut Squash Hummus
You’ll want extra pita for dipping, trust us.
59. Slow-cooker Black Bean, Butternut Squash And Quinoa Chili
Even without meat, this dish manages to be hearty and satisfying.
60. Roasted Acorn Squash
It’s topped with ricotta, honey and pomegranate for good measure.
61. Broccoli Cheddar–stuffed Spaghetti Squash
If only all our green veggies were served this way.
62. Creamy Parmesan Orecchiette With Butternut Squash And Broccolini
It’s rich but not too heavy and packed with seasonal favorites. Swoon.
63. Beef Enchilada–stuffed Acorn Squash
You won’t even miss the tortillas in this one.
64. Butternut Squash Fritters
They’re kind of like latkes, with an autumnal twist.
65. Gnocchi With Butternut Squash, Kale And Sage Brown Butter Sauce
We’ll never get tired of this flavor combination. The gnocchi is store-bought to streamline the process.
67. Creamy Butternut Squash Alla Vodka Pasta
Can this be dinner every night? Asking for a friend…
68. Roasted Butternut Squash Tacos
Everything’s tastier when it’s served as a taco.
69. Spiced Butternut Squash Pie
Yes, you can even use winter squash in dessert. (Pumpkin is a squash, after all.)
Get the recipe
70. Moroccan Lamb And Butternut Squash Stew
Serve it over rice or mashed potatoes, or just on its own.
71. Fall Harvest Salad With Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
When you need a break from the stick-to-your-ribs meals, this feel-good salad will be waiting.
72. Parmesan Sage Crusted Butternut Squash Galette
Pie for dinner? Don’t mind if we do.
74. Roasted Kabocha With Wild Mushrooms, Quinoa And Lemon Thyme
See? Roasted vegetables don’t have to be boring.
75. Simmered Kabocha Squash With Chicken And Enoki Mushrooms
Psst: You can assembly the ingredients in a bag, freeze it, then cook when you’re ready (or feeling super lazy).
76. Brown Sugar Delicata Squash
This is going to be our new go-to side dish, we can just tell.
77. Streuseled Acorn Squash Muffins
This calls for a fresh pot of coffee.
78. Squash Apple Brussel Sprout Bake
You’ve got one pan and 20 minutes to spare, right?
79. Stuffed Delicata Squash With Quinoa, Cranberry And Pistachio
They’re pretty and fancy enough for a holiday spread, but simple enough for any night of the week.
80. Butternut Squash Mezzaluna
Are you a restaurant chef or something?