The 40 Best Butternut Squash Recipes to Tackle This Sweater Season
Oh, butternut squash, we adore you. Your sweet, nutty flavor. Your hearty, soft texture. Not to mention the bounty of nutrients you possess. (We're talking nearly 300 percent of our daily vitamin A per cup, plus 48 percent of our daily vitamin C and a hefty dose of potassium to boot.) You're also super versatile, so we can toss you into pasta, purée you into pizza sauce (more on that later), fold you into quesadillas or turn you into soul-warming chili or soup. It's no wonder you don't have any haters. And even if you did, these 40 butternut squash recipes would surely convert them. Behold, an ode to our favorite fall vegetable.
3. Butternut Squash Carbonara
The best way to get your veggies? In a big bowl of spaghetti, of course. Pancetta and grated Parmesan take its salty-savory flavor up a notch.
5. Vegan Butternut Mac and ‘Cheese’ with Smoky Shiitake ‘Bacon’
We love everything about this. Everything, from the cashew-butternut "cheese" sauce to the shiitake mushroom "meat."
6. Bulgur with Roasted Butternut Squash, Sage and Goat Cheese
Never tried bulgur? This fall dish will make a great first impression for the ancient grain. It's also got honeycrisp apples, dried cranberries, thyme and toasted pecans, in case the name alone wasn't autumnal enough for you.
13. Sage-Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash
Exhibit A: The definition of yum. Not only does this beauty only take 30 minutes to make, but it also boasts 18 grams of protein per serving, thanks to pearl barley and Asiago cheese.
15. Yotam Ottolenghi’s Roasted Butternut Squash with Lentils and Gorgonzola
How gorgeous is this side dish? It stars earthy lentils, sweet roasted squash and tangy Gorgonzola. We can hear your guests' oohs and ahhs already.
16. Butternut Squash Risotto with Crispy Leeks
Forget boiling water. The risotto cooks in a purée of roasted butternut squash and chicken broth instead, which turns it super savory and creamy.
17. Instant Pot Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup
Introducing the prettiest bowl of soup you'll ever eat. The swirly coconut yogurt, roasted peanuts and sesame seeds are a gorgeous finishing touch.
19. Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
Maple syrup, fresh rosemary and spices take this vegetable a long, long way.
21. Hearty Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Salad
Our favorite part of a salad is always the crispy bits on top. Here, that means cinnamon-maple pecans.
26. Butternut Squash and Apple Pita Bread Pizzas with Cheddar Cheese and Sage
Forget fussing with pizza dough, homemade or store-bought. Mini pitas will work just fine. We'll take extra honey and crushed red pepper flakes on ours, please.
38. Alison Roman’s Roasted Squash with Yogurt and Spiced Buttered Pistachios
This dish tastes like all the best parts of chunky sweater season, from the cumin-turmeric nut topping to the buttery winter squash.
39. Cheesy Butternut Squash, Andouille Sausage and Herb Stuffing
Hunks of French baguette. Shredded Gruyère cheese. Fresh sage, thyme and rosemary. Yup, the gang's all here.
40. Cheddar Apple Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon Pecan Crumble
Isn't she lovely? Unless you want to keep this one-hour wonder vegetarian, a few strips of crumbled bacon on top certainly wouldn't hurt.
For even more great recipes, check out our first cookbook, Only the Good Stuff.