Butternut is nice and delicata is low-maintenance, but we’re all about kabocha squash these days. Why? Because the winter gourd is beyond creamy, super sweet and you don’t have to peel it. Sure, it’s tasty enough when roasted with olive oil and sea salt—but don’t stop there. Without further ado, here are 20 kabocha squash recipes to make while it’s still in season.
20 Kabocha Squash Recipes to Make While It’s Still in Season
1. Roasted Winter Vegetable Platter With Miso Aioli And Romesco Sauce
Don’t let the season stop you from serving crudités. Aran Goyoaga’s version is hearty and autumnal (and that squash-aioli combo is to die for).
2. Roasted Squash, Caramelized Fig And Feta Salad
Fall salads might be our favorite kind, thanks to all the hearty-yet-healthy toppings. With this easy recipe, everything roasts on one pan—a win-win.
3. Turmeric Ginger Kabocha Squash Soup
She’s creamy, dreamy and ready in 20 minutes (not to mention dairy- and gluten-free).
4. Stuffed Kabocha Squash
Squash bowls are infinitely superior to regular bowls, especially when they’re filled with this vegan and Paleo-friendly roasted vegetable medley.
5. Roasted Squash Salad With White Beans, Bread Crumbs And Preserved Lemon
With all that caramelized squash, you won’t miss the lettuce.
7. Skillet Roasted Moroccan Chicken And Olive Tagine
The briny olives and lemon are necessary to offset the sweetness of the squash. Serve it with couscous to soak up all those juices.
8. Kabocha Ravioli With A Toasted Hazelnut Cream Sauce
Cool weather calls for pasta, and lots of it. This dish feels fancy, but is surprisingly simple to make.
Get the recipe
9. Kabocha Squash Buttermilk Pie With A Crème Fraîche Swirl
Considering how sweet and custardy this gluten-free stunner is, you might never go back to pumpkin.
10. Kabocha Squash Lentil Curry
It might not be the prettiest, but it sure is the tastiest. And even though this curry tastes decadently creamy, it comes in at under 400 calories per serving.
11. Kabocha Celery Salad
No wilty, sad salads here. Crisp celery and squash can stand up to any amount of dressing, making this one ideal for packed lunches and make-ahead dinners.
12. Roasted Squash With Burrata, Spicy Hazelnuts And Maple Vinaigrette
This would be a welcome addition to any Thanksgiving spread. And you already know how we feel about burrata.
13. Roasted Kabocha With Wild Mushrooms, Quinoa And Lemon Thyme
You can play with the ingredients here, swapping another grain or rice for the quinoa and mixing up your mushrooms.
14. Gluten-free Kabocha Empanadas With Gruyère And Thyme
It’s going to be tough to eat just one of these flaky, cheesy appetizers. They can be made with traditional all-purpose flour if you don’t need them to be gluten-free.
15. Brussels Sprout And Kabocha Squash Salad
Here’s proof that the best fall salads are sturdy and filling. This one has a Dijon-maple dressing and can be made ahead.
16. Crock-pot Thai Chicken Curry
Kabocha, meet Crock-Pot. This one-and-done dinner requires just ten minutes of prep and uses ingredients you already have in your pantry.
17. Kabocha Sourdough Milk Bread
Milk bread is an impossibly fluffy Japanese specialty, and the addition of kabocha is fitting, since it’s also Japanese in origin. (Plus, that color!)
Get the recipe
18. Kabocha Squash Shakshuka
Breakfast for dinner? Don’t mind if we do. Adding squash to shakshuka is such a good idea that we might add this to our permanent rotation.
19. Thai Curry With Kabocha Squash
We can’t decide which we love more: the tender, sweet chunks of squash or the spicy coconut milk sauce.
Get the recipe
20. Miso Dumpling Soup With Autumn Squash
Shhh…they’re store-bought dumplings, but no one needs to know.