- Queen Elizabeth turned 96 years old today, but it’s not the only birthday she will celebrate this year. Although she was born on April 21, the queen also has a second birthday in June (AKA Trooping the Colour).
- The royal family celebrated the monarch’s birthday by sharing a never-before-seen portrait on Instagram. The pic features Her Majesty holding the reigns as she stands between two of her horses.
- Kate Middleton and Prince William marked the special occasion by posting a slideshow of photos. One shows Queen Elizabeth posing with her great-grandchildren.
- For Easter Sunday service, Middleton wore a gorgeous sky-blue coat dress, which she paired with a matching clutch and suede Emmy London Rebecca Riviera pumps. (She previously wore the outfit in 2017.)
Royal News Roundup: Queen Elizabeth Turns 96, Prince Harry Travels Across the Pond & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of April 21, 2022.
- At the Invictus Games, Meghan Markle stepped out in a stunning all-white suit by Valentino. She accessorized the look with a chic white bag, a dainty necklace, a gold watch and white pumps by Aquazzura.
- When she took the stage with Prince Harry, the couple shared a rare PDA moment. In a photo taken by Patrick van Katwijk, the pair are seen smooching, while the audience claps behind them.
- During his speech, Prince Harry shared details about Archie’s career aspirations. “When I talk to my son Archie about what he wants to be when he grows up, some days it’s an astronaut, other days it’s a pilot—a helicopter pilot obviously,” he said, according to Hello! magazine.
- Shortly after the appearance, Markle parted ways with her husband and traveled back to Los Angeles by herself.
- Body language expert Darren Stanton (courtesy of Betfair Casino) analyzed photos of the couple and confirmed that Markle was Harry’s “rock” at the Invictus Games.
PATRICK VAN KATWIJK/GETTY IMAGES
- Ahead of the Invictus Games, Prince Harry and Markle paid a surprise visit to Windsor Castle to see Queen Elizabeth.
- According to a report from Daily Mail editor Richard Kay, the monarch asked the pair to visit Prince Charles before coming to see her.
- Royal aficionados think the meeting holds a special meaning because it took place on April 14, which just so happens to be Maundy Thursday. The religious holiday—which is sometimes called Holy Thursday or Sheer Thursday—focuses on forgiveness.
- The prince later discussed the get-together during a rare interview with Hoda Kotb. Harry said it was “great” to see the queen again, noting that she has “great form.”
CHRIS JACKSON/CHRIS JACKSON/GETTY IMAGES
- During another interview with People, Prince Harry gushed over his wife: “I had always wanted to share these incredible moments with someone special, and to have Meg by my side means everything.”
- The Duke of Sussex also confirmed that his daughter, Lilibet, recently took her first step. “Her current priorities are trying to keep up with her brother; she took her first step just a few days ago!” he told the mag. “Proud papa, here.”
- During the royal tour of Australia and Papua New Guinea, Princess Anne acted as her own glam squad. This means she did her own hair, makeup and styling for the entire trip.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
More Stories You'll Love
Kate Middleton and Prince William Just Released Their Christmas Card Photo and It’s Giving Old School Vibes
Sarah Ferguson Gives Major Life Update While Posing with Queen Elizabeth’s Corgis
Royal Family Shares Striking Portrait of Queen Camilla Standing Alone in a Garden
Chrissy Teigen Posts Rare Childhood Throwback Featuring Mama Vilailuck and Adorable Pup on IG
Princess Diana’s Engagement Blouse Can Be Yours, Thanks to This Upcoming Auction
The Royal Fam Reveals Never-Before-Seen Christmas Pics of Kate Middleton with Her 3 Kids