Royal News Roundup: 2 Pregnancies, 1 Surprise Wedding & a Bunch of Never-Before-Seen Christmas Photos
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of December 17, 2020.
- Over the weekend, Prince William and Kate Middleton’s three children—Prince George (7), Princess Charlotte (5) and Prince Louis (2)—made their 2020 red carpet debut. Yup, the entire Cambridge family attended a special pantomime performance at the Palladium Theatre in London. During the event, Prince William, Middleton and their mini-mes walked the red carpet wearing complementary ensembles. And did we mention Louis looks just like Kate’s dad, Michael Middleton?
- This week, Princess Sofia and her husband, Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, revealed that they’re expecting their third child together. The Swedish royals announced the exciting news on their official Instagram account (@kungahuset) by sharing a never-before-seen portrait of the proud parents. The black-and-white photo features Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip embracing each other as they smile for the camera.
Congratulations are also in order for Pippa Middleton and her husband, James Matthews. The couple is reportedly expecting their second child, according to Page Six. Their source revealed the exciting news on Monday and confirmed the pregnancy is progressing as planned. “Pippa and James are thrilled, it’s fantastic news amid a difficult year. The entire family is delighted,” the source told the mag.
- This week, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge revealed their family Christmas card. The photo, which was likely taken at the family’s country home in Norfolk, features the couple, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, all posed outside, sitting in front of some firewood. Not surprisingly, Louis steals the spotlight by showcasing his large, contagious smile.
- Meghan Markle is already handing out gifts to some of her very famous neighbors, including Oprah Winfrey. On Sunday, the 66-year-old TV personality shared a video of herself opening a gift she recently received from the Duchess of Sussex (although she never actually says her name). The present? A latte set from the health brand, Clevr. In the video, Winfrey can be seen perusing the various packets of Clevr oatmilk super latte blends, before complimenting the "nice decoration" of the gift.
- On Tuesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their exclusive, multi-year deal with Spotify. The former royal couple will produce programming by way of their company Archewell Audio in partnership with Spotify. And it seems like some projects are already underway. A “holiday special”—which will be hosted by the duke and duchess—is scheduled to air at the end of this month. Not to mention, they also released a preview for the new project.
- After spending more than a month away from the cameras, Markle surprised royal fans on Sunday by appearing in a special CNN Heroes TV special. Sitting outside amid a backdrop of lilac flowers, Markle delivered a poignant speech that subtly tied back to the op ed she penned for the New York Times earlier this year, revealing the deep pain and loss she personally experienced.
- The Clarence House Christmas card was also released this week, and it's their most colorful one yet. In the photo, which was recently shared on Instagram, Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles are seated together in the garden at their Scottish home, Birkhall. Naturally, the royal pair are all smiles as they bask in the sun, surrounded by colorful flowers in full bloom.
- Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark (who is also the godson of the late Princess Diana) secretly married fiancé Nina Nastassja Flohr in an intimate civil ceremony over the weekend. Flohr shared the exciting news with her Instagram followers on Wednesday by posting a wedding photo. "Just married (civilly)," she captioned the post.