- Queen Elizabeth was honored on Accession Day, marking the 70th anniversary since she ascended the throne. She marked the special occasion by unveiling a brand-new portrait and sharing a rare personal message to social media.
- In the statement, Queen Elizabeth revealed that she wants her daughter-in-law, Camilla Parker Bowles, to be given the title of Queen Consort when Prince Charles takes the throne.
- The queen hosted a reception at the Sandringham House to celebrate Accession Day. During the event, the monarch held a brown, stick cane that holds great meaning to the queen, being that it was Prince Philip’s cane.
- The cane wasn’t her only nod to Prince Philip. According to the Evening Standard, the monarch’s two Nizam of Hyderabad rose brooches were given to Queen Elizabeth when she got married to the Duke of Edinburgh in 1947.
- In honor of Accession Day, Prince Charles sent his mom a letter of congratulations for her incredible achievement and shared a snapshot of the note on the Clarence House account.
Royal News Roundup: Queen Elizabeth’s Historic Anniversary, Prince Harry’s First 2022 Appearance & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of February 10, 2022.
- This week, Prince Harry spoke out about carrying on Princess Diana’s legacy. The royal appeared via video chat to discuss his mother’s activism for those living with HIV.
- Prince William shared a rare personal statement while en route to Dubai—complete with an informal sign-off and picture from the plane.
- During a visit to the new BAFTA headquarters in London, Prince William acknowledged that even future kings need screen time limits and rules. The royal explained that he and Middleton now regulate screen time for their three kids: George, Charlotte and Louis.
- Kensington Palace announced that Kate Middleton will appear on a segment of the popular British children’s show, CBeebies Bedtime Stories. The program famously features celebrities reading bedtime stories to children each week.
- The Duchess of Cambridge shared a video on the joint Instagram account she shares with her husband. In the caption, Middleton included a Danish phrase, “På snarligt gensyn,” which translates to “see you soon.”
- Prince Harry recently made his first appearance of 2022—and he did so alongside longtime pal Serena Williams. During the virtual get-together, the royal sported a new, shorter haircut.
- During the appearance, Prince Harry explained how he maintains a balance between self-care and family time. “Even if you do have 15 minutes slate of white space, I now put in about half an hour or 45 minutes in the morning when I’m like, ‘OK, one of the kids has gone to school, the other one is taking a nap.’ There's a break in our program,” he said.
- A thoughtful post from Meghan Markle’s now-defunct lifestyle blog, The Tig, has resurfaced in honor of Valentine’s Day. In the column (which was written back in 2015, before she started dating Prince Harry), she shared advice for single ladies, claiming that a solo Valentine’s Day isn’t something to be ashamed of.
- Although Kristen Stewart received an Oscar nomination for playing Princess Diana in Spencer, the actress—along with the film—was completely snubbed from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards (BAFTA).
- Princess Akshita of Mayurbhanj, a royal in the Odisha state in eastern India (and a descendant of the Bhanja dynasty), weighed in on Prince Harry and Markle’s decision to step down as seniors. She told Insider that she understood why they chose to step away from the spotlight.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
More Stories You'll Love
Royal News Roundup: Kate Middleton’s Bold Fashion Statement, Prince William’s Surprising Confession & More
Queen Camilla, Kate Middleton and Princess Beatrice Each Rock Statement Boots Just Days Apart
Why Harry & Meghan Are Ready to Move on from the Monarchy, According to Omid Scobie
Omid Scobie Confirms: Prince Harry & King Charles Are Talking on the Phone Again
The 50 Best Christmas Movies, Ranked
Apparently Prince William Is a Total Swiftie and Now We Have Proof