The royals are sports enthusiasts, what with video well-wishes for the English women’s soccer team and grinning ear-to-ear at Wimbledon. And while dependable pumps and brogues might be the usual footwear of the royals, sporting and casual occasions call for quality tennis and running shoes,. And like so many outfits we’re cribbing from the royals, these kicks are all attractive, inarguably appropriate and dependably utilitarian. Here’s a roundup of eight royal-approved sneakers worn by Kate, Meghan and Sophie.
8 Royal-Approved Sneakers to Add to Your Wardrobe ASAP
Kate, Meghan and Louise have tasteful kicks down pat
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
Top Lightweight Running
- Material: lightweight woven upper
- Promising Review: “Great everyday gym shoe! Pairs well with lots of staples in my closet. 10/10.” – a TK reviewer
- Size Range: 5 to 12
The newly dubbed “Children’s Princess” wore these lightweight trainers to hit the pitch at the Maidenhead Rugby Club this summer. This shoe is the second generation of lululemon’s hit running shoe debut, and it’s been updated to have a narrower toe box and increased pavement feel. The segmented outsole is made for flexibility, while still staying durable on the pavement; the seamless woven upper hugs the foot without potentially irritating seams. Runners expecting an uber-padded traditional running shoe will need some time getting used to this lower-profile shoe, but the less than 10 ounce weight and nimble design are winning over runners worldwide. And as for appearance, we appreciate that of the 12 colorways, most are versatile neutrals including tones such as raw linen and silverstone.
Excellent Width Options
- Material: breathable engineered knit upper, compression molded EVA foam midsole
- Promising Review: “In my opinion, this shoe is the perfect outdoor running shoe. I've had horrible back, hip and knee pain due to my sport. The Clifton 9's have decreased my aches and pain. My runs are enjoyable now.” – a Hoka reviewer
- Size Range: 5 to 12
In October 2020, Countess Sophie donned Hokas to join a virtual race to benefit the Menscap’s Learning Disability Team. Her model, the Clifton 6, has been updated to the current Clifton 9, a bouncier and firmer design. This shoe is popular for its ultra-cushy footbed and availability in medium and wide sizing. Designed as an everyday running shoe, the 5 mm heel-to-toe drop is suitable for runners with a forefoot running stance or with a history of knee issues, since according to Zappos, a lower drop it moves some of the stride impact force from the knees and hips to the lower leg. Offered in 12 tones, the jellybean colors of cyclamen and chalk violet are standouts.
- Material: leather upper/recycled-polyester lining/rubber sole
- Promising Review: “I’ve been looking for the perfect white sneaker for a while and this Veja nails it. Great with jeans, great with a T-shirt dress. Several compliments with jean shorts and a T-shirt.” – a Nordstrom reviewer
- Size Range: 35 to 42
Kate wore these leather Veja sneakers for a natural history museum visit in London. The metallic logo accent adds a pop of pizzaz to these classic sneakers from Veja, a French footwear brand founded in 2004 that set standards of eco-responsibility and fair trade—for example, materials include organic cotton and recycled plastic bottles—now popular in a wide range of shoes.While the Brazilian leather upper and breathable fabric liner are comfy, the medium padding in this court-inspired shoe is not suited for running distances. Which is lucky, since you’ll keep these that much more pristine for casual wear around town.
Top Travel Shoe
- Material: leather / EVA outsole
- Promising Review: “These shoes are very comfortable, and the leather elevates the shoe. I feel current without being trendy. I can wear them with many outfits.” – a Cole Haan reviewer
- Size Range: 5 to 11
Lady Louise wore these simple leather sneakers while touring the Royal Windsor Horse Show in summer 2022 with her mom, Countess Sophie. With a comfort cushioned footbed and a lightweight EVA outsole that has a fluting detail and rubber pods for traction, you could play a fierce game of tennis in these shoes. But in four elegant color options (pecan, gold, black or all-white leather), we’re seeing these as the travel shoe that’s going to elevate your whole outfit.
Best Energy Return
- Material: uppers made of recycled polyester and 50 percent reimagined ocean waste
- Promising Review: “This is the most comfortable sneaker I own. It's light, but sturdy. Breathable, but durable. Offer great stability. Highly recommended!” – an Adidas reviewer
- Size Range: 4.5 to 12
Meghan was pregnant with her son Archie in February 2019 when she donned basic black—including tone-on-tone Adidas—on a trip to New York City. Good choice of footwear, since Adidas’s signature Boost midsole design has a cushiony feel, and the shoe is engineered to return energy to the leg with each stride, creating a little bounce. And the basic black colorway is available with black or white soles—minimalism at its best.
Excellent Walking Shoe
- Material: leather upper/ textile lining / rubber sole
- Promising Review: “These are suuuuuper stylish with a minimalist look which I LOVE. Very comfortable for walking.” – a Nordstrom reviewer
- Size Range: 35 to 41, whole sizes only
Meghan and Harry visited Australia for the Invictus Games in 2018 and both wore leather sneakers (Meghan sported Vejas, Harry went with Adidas) on an open boat out in Sydney Harbor. Splashes notwithstanding, all the pairs survived the voyage. These Vejas are elegant in their simplicity, with no chrome lace guards to break up the white-leather and black logo. The EVA-cushioned footbed is comfy for long walks, and there’s a choice of suede and smooth leather fabrications in this Veja design.
Top Euro Chic Choice
- Material: textile upper and lining
- Promising Review: “Love Supergas. They fit a wide foot and look great. Bought a pair for each of my girls, both in their 20s. I have my own pair, as I borrowed a pair from eldest and loved them. Great fit and look better than most white flat athletic shoes.” – a Nordstrom reviewer
- Size Range: 5 to 11
The RHS Chelsea Flower Show has a lot to see, and KMid didn’t come for sore feet when she wore her lace-up Supergas. Nice-looking enough to pair with cropped chinos and comfortable enough to stand for hours in them, Supergas are the plain white sneaker MVP. With a flat, minimally cushioned interior and one-inch platform sole, these are stylish but not overly sport-oriented—made in Italy, these murmur “passeggiata” more than passionate stadium-step drills. And the white-on-white design is simple and timeless.
Tops for Warm-Weather Running
- Material: 20 percent recycled fabric in stretchy upper
- Promising Review: “The Vapormax technology creates a bouncy and responsive ride that cushions your every step. It's like getting a personalized foot massage with every stride. Plus, the breathable upper keeps your feet cool and fresh, even during the most intense workouts.” – a Nike reviewer
- Size Range: 5.5 to 12
Kate wore an early iteration of the Nike VaporMax Flyknit shoe in 2017 to a lawn tennis event. Known for its jazzy colorways, stretchy comfort and lightweight Nike durability, today this shoe is a pillar of Nike’s women’s footwear. In seven colorways, this shoe was developed by Nike to mimic the feeling of “running on air.“ With each down step, each lug gets pushed into the Air uniton the sole, ramping up the pressure. Then, as you step off, the pressure sets off a springy bounce that’s really flexible. Made for runners, the futuristic tech is now as popular with speed-obsessed runners as it is street style mavens.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.