Winter is coming, and all you want to do is hide under a blanket until the sun sets later than 6 p.m. again. You could hibernate and survive on takeout for the next few months, or you could master these 80 cold weather recipes that will defrost your heart and stomach. Think hearty soups, casseroles, bakes and beyond.
80 Cold Weather Recipes That Will Warm You Right Up
1. Mac And Cheese With Crispy Parmesan-phyllo Crust
This baked comfort food classic is so decadent, it literally wears a crown...of flaky pastry.
2. Charred Cauliflower With Crunchy Garlic Chile Oil
The crisp char on this cauliflower replicates the flavor of steak, but it’s totally vegetarian and oh so satisfying.
3. Spinach And Three-cheese Stuffed Shells
When you consider the hidden greens, this stuffed pasta skillet is actually pretty healthy. (OK, OK, healthy-ish.)
4. Cast-iron Pork Chops With Cacao-spiced Rub
This restaurant-worthy recipe is keto-approved, so you can warm up while staying low-carb.
5. Spicy Lemon-ginger Chicken Soup
Beat winter colds before you catch them with this simple soup that has anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Honey Mustard Sheet-pan Chicken With Brussels Sprouts
Barely any prep work is necessary for these juicy, crispy chicken thighs that bake with a side of veggies. It's the ideal meal for a cozy night in.
7. Antoni Porowski’s Moroccan-style Pasta Bolognese
Queue up the latest season of Queer Eye and start simmering Antoni’s lamb-based meat sauce.
8. Butternut Squash Risotto With Crispy Leeks
Risotto is one of the best comfort foods, and when it’s topped with homemade crispy leeks, you’re in for a real treat.
9. White Turkey Chili With Avocado
There’s nothing like a lazy night in eating a huge bowl of chili. (And this recipe is light enough that you can have seconds without feeling bogged down.)
10. Shrimp And Pasta Stew
Part stew, part saucy pasta, each bite of this dish will make you forget about the freezing temperatures.
11. Spicy Chili Crisp Grilled Cheese
The simple addition of grocery-store chili oil amps up an old school sandwich.
12. 30-minute Coconut Milk Braised Chicken With Sweet Potatoes And Rice
Seasoned chicken is bathed in creamy coconut milk to create this ultimate night-in dinner. (Add a side of rice, naan or quinoa for a hearty meal.)
13. Tortellini Soup With Italian Sausage
Pop open a package of cheese tortellini, a box of chicken stock and a few other supermarket ingredients to whip up a cozy winter feast.
14. Garlic Butter Creamed Spinach Salmon
Forget everything you thought you knew about salmon. This creamy recipe is an indulgent riff on chicken Florentine.
15. Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
Chicken pot pie may be the ultimate comfort food, but topped with biscuits, this dish is on another level.
16. Pan-fried Cod With Orange And Swiss Chard
Warming food doesn’t have to be unhealthy. This cod recipe takes advantage of winter produce to create a light but super satisfying dinner.
17. Eggplant Parmesan
This baked eggplant parm is easier (and healthier) than the traditional fried version, plus you get all that residual heat from your oven to warm up the house while your meal is cooking.
18. Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
Double this belly-warming recipe and save half in your freezer for a long day.
19. Restorative Miso Noodle Soup
Soba noodles and shiitake mushrooms give this classic a hearty upgrade.
20. Baked Coconut-curry Meatballs
Baking meatballs is way less effort than pan-frying them.
21. Skillet Gnocchi With Sausage And Broccoli Rabe
Thirty-minute recipes are prime for busy weeknights.
22. 5-ingredient Smoked Gouda-thyme Mac And Cheese
The definition of comfort food.
24. Cheater’s White Wine Coq Au Vin
It's elegant enough to serve to guests—though they'll never know it took you under an hour to make.
25. Pork Scallopini With Lemon, Capers And Radicchio
Almost all the ingredients needed to cook this 20-minute beauty are pantry staples.
26. The Best Damn Tomato Soup
One sip and you'll ditch the canned stuff for good.
27. Dijon-maple Chicken With Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash
And the trusty sheet pan does it again.
29. 30-minute Cheater’s Beef Stroganoff
Buttery pappardelle. Tender button mushrooms. Melt-in-your-mouth beef tenderloin. Consider our souls officially warmed.
30. Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup Casserole
One bite and boom—you're a kid all over again.
31. Shepherd’s Pie
You so don't need to wait for St. Patrick's Day to indulge.
32. Slow-cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Set it, forget it, then bust out the tortilla chips.
33. Slow-cooker French Onion Soup
There's no bad day a crock of caramelized onion broth and melted Gruyère can't fix.
34. The Ultimate Pasta Pie
Aka your kids' new favorite dinner.
35. Pistachio-crusted Pork Tenderloin With Apple And Escarole Salad
You're only 40 minutes away from buttery, melts-in-your-mouth magic.
36. One-pan Roasted Chicken With Carrots
Six ingredients, 30 minutes, minimal cleanup.
37. Honey-mustard Sheet Pan Salmon
Roasted alongside Brussels sprouts, butternut squash and cherry tomatoes to flaky perfection.
38. Baking-sheet Pizza With Olives And Sun-dried Tomatoes
When it comes to cheese, the more the merrier. That's why this pie is loaded with Parmesan, mozzarella and provolone.
39. One-pan Steak With Beets And Crispy Kale
Your broiler does all the heavy lifting.
40. Chicken Gnocchi Soup
One cozy snuggle in a bowl, coming right up.
41. Sheet-pan Lemon Butter Veggies And Sausage
Dig into a rainbow of produce from radishes to eggplant to bell peppers.
42. Cacio E Pepe
Presenting the easiest pasta dinner you'll ever make. Seriously—you probably already have all the ingredients.
43. Shrimp With Cauliflower “grits” And Arugula
Our favorite cruciferous veggie never stops surprising us.
44. The Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie
Store-bought puff pastry saves the day.
45. Pork Dumplings
Something tells us your kids will be eager to help with assembly.
46. Balsamic Cranberry Roast Chicken
If your family doesn't do turkey, we know *exactly* what to serve in its place for Thanksgiving.
47. 15-minute Skillet Pepper Steak
One serving only has 230 calories, so why not make room on your plate for a side of white rice to go with it?
48. Antoni Porowski’s Chile-maple Roast Chicken
You truly can't go wrong with dried chipotle chiles, maple syrup and a whole lot of butter.
49. Cheater’s Slow-cooker Beef Bourguignon
Good things (read: beef, bacon, veggies) come to those who wait.
50. Warm Ginger-scallion Pork And Kale Salad
Keep it paleo by using coconut aminos or substitute soy sauce or tamari instead.
51. Potato Chip-crusted Chicken With Arugula Pesto
This ain't your nonna's chicken parmigiana.
52. Slow-cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Our favorite part is the white cheddar biscuit topper, hands down.
54. Tomato Soup In Grilled Cheese Bread Bowls
Not only is it topped with a mini sandwich, but the inside of the bowl is also lined with melted cheese.
55. Sticky Asian Meatballs With Udon Noodles
The sauce is sweet and savory, thanks to ginger, hoisin, honey and soy sauce.
56. Soba Noodles With Peanut Sauce
Load them up with whatever wilted veggies are hiding in your crisper drawer.
58. Butternut Squash Carbonara
The gourd is so decadent that you don't need any butter or cream.
59. Spicy Turkey Enchiladas With Pumpkin Seeds
We have big plans for all that leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
60. Mexican Posole
Tastes like a soup-chili hybrid—with a generous spritz of lime.
61. General Tso’s Cauliflower
This vegetarian twist on a takeout classic can fool even the most devout of meat eaters.
62. Polenta And Meatballs
You won't miss the spaghetti one bit.
64. Rotisserie Chicken Ramen
Trust us: This version blows the microwaveable stuff way out of the water.
65. Spiralized Winter Vegetable Gratin
Think of it as a healthier potatoes au gratin, only with parsnips, squash and sweet potatoes.
66. Baked Chicken And Mushroom Risotto
The risotto cooks in the oven, meaning you won't have to stir it for hours on the stove.
67. Sticky Orange Chicken With Caramelized Onions And Fennel
The citrus-sesame marinade doubles as a sauce.
68. 15-minute Cheater’s Pad Thai
TBH, you'd spend more time waiting for it to be delivered than if you just cooked it yourself.
69. Whole Roasted Chipotle Chicken
You won't believe how short the ingredient list is.
70. Buckwheat Gnocchi With Cabbage, Potatoes And Fontina
Homemade pasta fit for a dinner party in 40 minutes? Color your guests wowed.
71. Pomegranate-sumac Chicken With Roasted Carrots
The traditional buttermilk chicken brine is spiked with sweet-tart pomegranate molasses, key in Middle Eastern cooking.
72. Sausage, Corn And Poblano Chowder
This spicy one-pot wonder is sure to warm your bones to the core, but feel free to add jalapeño or crushed red pepper to make it hotter.
73. Spicy Bucatini Amatriciana
If you can't find guanciale (salt-cured pork jowl) near you, use pancetta or bacon instead.
74. Slow-cooker Chicken Teriyaki
Not only does the Crock-Pot do all the work, but it's also one of the most kid-friendly dinners ever.
75. Polenta With Roasted Mushrooms And Bacon
Call it a side if you insist, but this cozy dish has main meal written all over it. A fried egg on top couldn't hurt either.
76. Quick Congee
This Asian rice porridge will taste divine topped with herbs, ginger, kimchi, scallions or poached eggs.
77. Slow-cooker Whole Chicken With Potatoes
Roast a chicken in the oven and you'll have to babysit it all day. Use the Crock-Pot instead and you're free.
78. Roasted Cauliflower Macaroni And Cheese
Can't decide between gooey pasta and roasted veggies? Allow us to introduce the best of both worlds.
79. Cheater’s White Pizza With Béchamel Sauce
You won't even need to fuss with store-bought pizza dough, thanks to handy naan flatbread.
80. Slow-cooker Creamy Chicken And Wild Rice Soup
Grab a blanket (and some vino), settle by the fireplace and enjoy.