18 Cold Weather Recipes That Will Warm You Right Up
Winter is here and all you want to do is hide under a blanket until the sun sets later than 5 p.m. again. You could hibernate and survive on takeout for the next few months, or you could master these 18 cold-weather recipes that will defrost your heart and stomach.
1. Mac and Cheese with Crispy Parmesan-Phyllo Crust
This baked comfort-food classic is so decadent, it literally wears a crown...of flaky pastry.
2. Charred Cauliflower with Crunchy Garlic Chile Oil
The crisp char on this cauliflower replicates the flavor of steak, but it’s totally vegetarian and oh so satisfying.
3. Spinach and Three-Cheese Stuffed Shells
When you consider the hidden greens, this stuffed pasta skillet is actually pretty healthy.
4. Cast-Iron Pork Chops with Cacao-Spiced Rub
This restaurant-worthy recipe is keto-approved, so you can warm up while staying low-carb.
5. Spicy Lemon-Ginger Chicken Soup
Beat winter colds before you catch them with this simple soup that has anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Honey Mustard Sheet-Pan Chicken with Brussels Sprouts
Barely any prep work is necessary for these juicy, crispy chicken thighs that bake with a side of veggies for a cozy night in.
7. Antoni Porowski’s Moroccan-Style Pasta Bolognese
Queue up the latest season of Queer Eye and start simmering Antoni’s lamb-based meat sauce.
8. Butternut Squash Risotto with Crispy Leeks
Risotto is one of the best comfort foods, and when it’s topped with homemade crispy leeks, you’re in for a real treat.
9. White Turkey Chili with Avocado
There’s nothing like a lazy night in eating a huge bowl of chili. (And this recipe is light enough that you can have seconds.)
10. Shrimp and Pasta Stew
Part stew, part saucy pasta, each bite of this dish will make you forget about the freezing temperatures.
12. 30-Minute Coconut Milk Braised Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Rice
Seasoned chicken is bathed in creamy coconut milk to create this ultimate night-in dinner. (Add a side of rice, naan or quinoa for a hearty meal.)
13. Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
Pop open a package of cheese tortellini, a box of chicken stock and a few other supermarket ingredients to whip up a cozy winter feast.
14. Garlic Butter Creamed Spinach Salmon
Forget everything you thought you knew about salmon. This creamy recipe is an indulgent riff on chicken Florentine.
15. Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
Chicken pot pie may be the ultimate comfort food, but topped with biscuits, this dish is on another level.
16. Pan-Fried Cod with Orange and Swiss Chard
Warming food doesn’t have to be unhealthy. This cod recipe takes advantage of winter produce to create a light but super satisfying dinner.
17. Eggplant Parmesan
This baked eggplant parm is easier (and healthier) than the traditional fried version, plus you get all that residual heat from your oven to warm up the house while your meal is cooking.
18. Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
Double this belly-warming recipe and save half in your freezer for a long day.