Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
If you asked us our favorite food, we’d respond with a resounding “pasta.” Oh, wait, maybe soup. (We really love soup.) Thanks to this tasty tortellini soup with Italian sausage, we no longer have to choose. And at less than $5 a serving, the price is right, too.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1 dried bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces store-bought cheese tortellini
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, for serving
¼ cup chopped fresh basil, for serving
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more.
2. Crumble the sausage into the pan and cook until it’s well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and broth, and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Add the bay leaf, oregano and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 30 to 35 minutes, until the soup’s flavor develops.
4. While the soup simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the tortellini and cook according to the instructions on the package. Drain well.
5. Stir the tortellini into the soup. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese and basil.