White Pizza with Béchamel Sauce
Some nights we want a healthy salad. This is not one of those nights. Tonight we want to dive face-first into the creamiest, cheesiest dish we can possibly imagine: cheater’s white pizza with béchamel sauce. Store-bought naan is slathered with an easy-to-make sauce, then topped with four different types of cheese and toasted garlic.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole milk
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 large naan flatbreads or pre-baked individual pizza crusts
4 slices provolone cheese
2 cups diced fresh mozzarella
2 cups shredded white cheddar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1. MAKE THE BÉCHAMEL SAUCE: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
2. Add the milk and cream, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 6 to 8 minutes. Season withthe nutmeg, salt and pepper.
3. MAKE THE PIZZAS: Preheat the oven to 500°F. In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook over medium-low heat until the garlic is evenly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
4. Place the naan on a baking sheet. Spread each naan with ¼ cup béchamel sauce. Divide the provolone, mozzarella and cheddar among the naan; season each with ¼ teaspoon oregano and ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes.
5. Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melty, 8 to 10 minutes. When the pizzas come out of the oven, grate ½ cup Parmesan onto each pizza. Garnish with the garlic.