Royal News Roundup: New Pics of Archie, Charlotte & August, Plus Deets on Meghan Markle's New Book
HERE, ALL THE ROYAL NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK OF MAY 6, 2021.
- Last week, Prince William posted an official message on Twitter confirming that he was boycotting social media over the weekend. “As President of the FA I join the entire football community in the social media boycott this weekend. W,” he wrote. William was referring to the extremely important international boycott, which was geared toward stopping online abuse and discrimination.
- Princess Anne broke her silence following the tragic death of her father, Prince Philip. The Princess Royal recently mailed out personalized cards to everyone who sent well wishes in light of her dad’s funeral. The message read, “The Princess Royal thanks you for your kind thoughts and sends you best wishes for the future.”
This week, the future monarchs of Sweden, Norway and Denmark, along with their spouses, participated in a video chat from their respective homes. The group meeting included Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Daniel of Sweden, Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway and Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. During the call, the group discussed everything from their respective family lives and the pandemic to their patronages and the work they are all doing.
Almost 40 years after Princess Diana’s wedding to Prince Charles, we learned that her David and Elizabeth Emanuel wedding dress is set to go on display at her former home—Kensington Palace—in a new exhibition. Called Royal Style in the Making, the new display will also include pieces from the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret and will “explore the relationship between fashion designers and their royal clients.”
NEW: Happy 6th birthday to Princess Charlotte, photographed in Norfolk this weekend by her mother the Duchess of Cambridge. She looks so grown up! ?????? pic.twitter.com/RNu6frr8yh? Emily Nash (@emynash) May 1, 2021
- Carole Middleton recently sat down for an interview with Saga magazine, where she discussed Kate Middleton’s three children. Carole explained that her secret to keeping their attention span while gardening is to have everything ready before they begin. “If I’m doing planting with my grandchildren, I like to have it all laid out at ‘activity stations’ with their own little trowel and pot, so they can get started immediately,” she told the mag.
- Over the weekend, the royal family released an official portrait in honor of Charlotte’s sixth birthday on May 2. The pic features Princess Charlotte wearing a blue floral dress as she smiles for the camera. The image was taken by Kate. A few days later, Prince William visited the Babcock Vehicle Engineering facility and spoke with employees about Charlotte’s birthday celebration. He summed it up pretty succinctly: “She had a lovely day, thank you.”
- On Sunday, the Duke of Sussex gave a speech at the taping of Global Citizen’s upcoming Vax Live: The Concert to Reunite the World. “We are at a defining moment in the global fight against COVID-19. Tonight is a celebration of each of you here, the vaccinated frontline workers in the audience and the millions of frontline heroes around the world,” Harry said.
- On Monday, Princess Eugenie posted a tribute for her husband, Jack Brooksbank, for his birthday on Instagram. The post featured brand-new photos of their son, August Philip Hawke. “You are exceptional..Happy Birthday my love,” she captioned the post.
- This week, Meghan Markle announced that her first children's book, The Bench, is hitting shelves on June 8th. The 39-year-old’s new project is based on a poem she wrote to Prince Harry for Father’s Day. Illustrated by bestselling artist Christian Robinson, the book will be published in print by Penguin Random House and also be made into an audiobook, which will be narrated by Markle herself.
- Queen Elizabeth has signed off on a deal that enables her team to brew a variety of beers using the plants grown at her Sandringham estate, which is located in Norfolk. Buckingham Palace confirmed the exciting news on Wednesday and revealed that two ales are now available for purchase in the Sandringham gift shop.
Kate Middleton celebrated International Day of the Midwife this week. In honor of the holiday, the Duchess of Cambridge participated in a Zoom interview with community Nurse Midwife, Harriet Nayiga, for the latest edition of Nursing Times. The 39-year-old royal looked stunning in black trousers, a simple black top and a chic cobalt blazer by Zara, which features double-breasted buttons, statement shoulders and large buttons.
Kate Middleton and Prince William are now on a new social media platform: YouTube. On Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced that they have officially launched a joint YouTube account. The couple shared the news in a video collage on IG. “Better late than never—we're now on @YouTube Link in bio,” the duo captioned the post. We also noticed that they they changed their IG handle to @dukeandduchessofcambridge.
- On Wednesday, Prince Charles visited the Welsh Guards who participated in his father’s funeral at their barracks in Windsor. During the engagement, Charles met the guards from divisions like The Prince of Wales’s Company, presented non-operational awards and viewed the Battalion’s new memorial. To show his thanks, the prince took a moment to give a heartwarming speech.
- Prince Harry and Oprah Winfrey’s latest project is in the final stages. While the series was originally supposed to air on the Apple TV platform in 2020, the 67-year-old recently revealed that the documentary will drop this month.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, is celebrating his second birthday today. And in honor of the major milestone, his parents are asking fans and followers for donations to help the world achieve COVID vaccine equity. The couple shared an official statement on their Archewell Foundation website, titled, “Join Us in Advocating for Vaccine Equity on Archie’s Birthday.” They also released a brand-new photo of their son, who is growing up so fast.
- In honor of baby Archie’s second birthday on Thursday, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Her Majesty shared individual tributes on social media. The now 2-year-old’s Gan-Gan posted a throwback photograph of Archie alongside his parents on the royal family’s official IG account. In addition, the Cambridges also shared a sweet tribute to their nephew featuring the official portrait from Archie’s christening.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.