The 10 Best Heated Blankets for Hibernation Season, According to Enthusiastic Reviewers
As we head into fall, we're thinking about stuffing our wardrobes with cozy items but our home decor could use a few hygge-inducing additions before the colder weather fully sets in. The first thing we’re going to invest in? A heated blanket. Because although our throw blanket from last year keeps us pretty warm, there’s nothing like an electric blanket on those truly sub-zero nights. Here, the 10 best heated blankets to shop this year.
Our picks at a glance:
- Best Overall: Serta Reversible Sherpa Heated Electric Throw Blanket
- Best Value: Sunbeam Heated Fleece Throw
- Splurge-Worthy: L.L. Bean Wicked Cozy Heated Blanket
- Best Sherpa Heated Blanket: Pure Enrichment Purerelief Electric Throw Blanket
- Best Heated Blanket for Couples: Degrees Of Comfort Dual Control Electric Blanket
- Best Automatic Heated Blanket: True North by Sleep Philosophy Electric Queen Blanket
- Best Fleece Heated Blanket: Biddeford Comfort Fleece Electric Blanket
- Best Heated Comforter: Micro Flannel Electric Heated Queen Comforter
- Best Wearable Heated Blanket: Beautyrest Ultra Soft Sherpa Electric Blanket Poncho
- Best Heated Blanket for Travel: Treksafe Heated Travel Blanket
Before we go through our finds, let’s go over some of the basics.
Are electric blankets safe?
Simply put: Follow the use instructions in the blanket’s manual and you shouldn’t have any issues. And before you ask, most electric blankets have an auto shut off feature, so you don’t have to worry about them overheating. It should be noted, however, that the World Health Organization recommends that women discontinue the use of heated blankets while pregnant to avoid any possible complications. Additionally, the Mayo Clinic recommends that those with diabetes first consult with their doctor before getting an electric blanket. This is due to the possibility of experiencing neuropathy which damages the nerves and can affect one's ability to feel heat appropriately.
Do electric blankets use a lot of electricity?
Nope! Electric blankets don’t require a ton of power, even if you keep them on for hours. In fact, using one regularly could help you lower your utility costs since you won’t have to keep the overall house temperature as high.
How do you wash an electric blanket?
Follow these steps:
- Check the blanket’s instruction manual for details on how to wash your particular model. It will likely tell you to disconnect the blanket from its power source and remove the power cord from the blanket.
- Stick it in the washing machine. Most heated blankets should be washed in cool to warm water on the gentle cycle. Your blanket’s manual should include specific instructions on how to dry it, too.
Now that we’ve got those questions cleared up, let’s dive into the best heated blankets for hibernation season, according to enthusiastic reviewers.
The 10 Best Heated Blankets
1. Serta Reversible Sherpa Heated Electric Throw Blanket
- Five different power and heat settings
- Auto shut off after four hours
- Machine washable
- Some reviewers say the blanket takes a while to heat up
Coming in 13 different colors, this Serta heated blanket both looks and feels good. The blanket is super soft, thanks to one side of brushed microplush that can be flipped to reveal plush sherpa lining on the other. Combine that with its easy-to-use controller that allows you to set both heat and power settings so that you can find the perf combo to send you off to dreamland in comfort. It also features an auto-shut off function that turns the blankie's heat off after four hours, allowing you to rest easy without fear of overheating. And, to make things even better, this baby is machine washable for an easy clean up. No wonder over 7,000 people have given it a five-star rating on Amazon.
2. Sunbeam Heated Fleece Throw
- Three heat settings
- Auto shut off after three hours
- The fleece material isn’t the softest
When we saw the $25 price tag, we assumed these reviews were too good to be true. But according to buyers, this heated fleece throw—which comes in six color options—actually works pretty well. “This is my fourth heated throw that I’ve purchased through the years [and it’s] by far the warmest,” one shopper explains.
3. L.L. Bean Wicked Cozy Heated Blanket
- Special technology to ensure an even temperature throughout
- Thin, flexible wires for a bulk-free feel
- Auto shut off
- So slick that sometimes it slips off the bed
“Really soft blanket! It toasts up quickly and is attractive enough to be the top cover on our bed,” one reviewer writes. This luxe heated throw from L.L. Bean comes in twin, full/queen and king sizes to fit your bed—rather than just being a standard throw. It also boasts five heat settings, a pre-heat function and soft-to-the-touch material.
4. Pure Enrichment Purerelief Electric Throw Blanket
Best Sherpa Heated Blanket
- Reversible micro mink and sherpa sides
- Machine washable
- No auto shut off feature
One customer says this electric blanket’s Sherpa material is so soft, she never wants to sleep without it. Its 60-by-50 inch size is perfect for naps on the couch or cuddling up with in a reading chair. Oh, and you can choose between four different warmth settings for customized comfort.
5. Degrees Of Comfort Dual Control Electric Blanket
Best Heated Blanket for Couples
- Two heat zones with separate controls
- Adjustable auto shut off after 1-10 hours
- 20 different heat settings
- Smaller sizes do not include a dual controller
If you and your partner are in a constant battle over the thermostat, this heated blanket from Degrees of Comfort is for you. The queen and king sizes come with two separate heat zones that are each managed by their own controller. Each zone has 20 different heat settings, so you can keep your side of the bed’s temp just the way you like it without bickering over the heat with your S.O.. "We use this blanket every night, turning it on before hopping into bed, and we feel warm right away," one reviewer states. "When we turn it off, the blanket still keeps warm for hours and it's now something we can't live without during winter time."
6. True North by Sleep Philosophy Electric Queen Blanket
Best Automatic Heated Blanket
- 20 different heat settings
- Ultra-soft, reversible sides
- Comes with an automatic timer
This weighted blanket from True North by Sleep Philosophy takes the pre-heat feature to a whole new level. Rather than having to turn your blanket on 15 to 20 minutes before you want to get in bed, all you have to do is connect this one to the included automatic timer. Then, it’ll start warming up for you every day at the time you choose. Just a heads up: Buyers say that once you’ve snuggled up underneath this plush design, you’ll never want to get out of bed.
7. Biddeford Comfort Fleece Electric Blanket
Best Fleece Heated Blanket
- Machine washable
- Two controllers
- 10 different heat settings
- Some reviewers received defective blankets
One shopper loved Biddeford’s electric blankets so much, she bought one for every bedroom in her house. “They heat up great and look nice too,” she explains. Others add that the fleece material is lightweight, but warm. And the two controls mean that both you and your partner can adjust the temperature throughout the night without having to get up.
8. Micro Flannel Electric Heated Queen Comforter
Best Heated Comforter
- Soft down alternative fill
- Reaches maximum temperature within 30 minutes
- Separate heat settings for each side
- Some reviewers say it’s too heavy
Want an electric blanket that you can leave on your bed all winter long? Opt for this comforter and you won’t have to worry about layering a less-than-stylish heated throw on top. It looks just like a typical comforter but has eight heat settings and separate heat zones for each side of the bed. Plus, you can program it to automatically turn on at a certain setting every night. As if we weren’t already totally sold, one person goes so far as to call it the best purchase they’ve ever made.
9. Beautyrest Ultra Soft Sherpa Electric Blanket Poncho
Best Wearable Heated Blanket
- Poncho shape that’s designed to be draped over you
- Pre-heat feature
- Some customers say it doesn’t get warm enough
If your main goal this winter is to find a heated blanket you can actually wrap yourself in while you work from home, look no further. This unique shawl design from Beautyrest is made to drape over your shoulders for easy bundling. “[It’s] super soft, extremely warm even on the medium setting and allows me to stay cozy at the computer while I work for hours at a time,” one reviewer attests.
10. Treksafe Heated Travel Blanket
Best Heated Blanket for Travel
- Plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter
- 58’’ cable can stretch to anywhere in the car
- Some buyers say it takes a while to warm up
According to customers, this compact blanket from Treksafe is a game-changer for cold morning commutes and winter road trips. You can drape it over your lap while you drive or keep it in the back for passengers to use. Once you plug it into the cigarette lighter, you’ll feel it warm up in no time.