Shopping for a sofa online is like doing a blind taste test as Goldilocks—you never know what you’re going to get—all while you’re looking for something that’s just right. That said, there’s one thing that everyone wants from their seating: comfort. So, whether you’re looking for something that feels just as good as it looks, something that can withstand three kids and a dog or simply something compact that’ll fit in your tiny apartment, we’ve scoured the web for the absolute most comfortable sofas on the market. Here, our top 18 picks (plus where to look for them).
The 18 Most Comfortable Sofas Money Can Buy, Starting at $500
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
Where to Find Comfortable Sofas
First and foremost: We’ve dedicated an entire article to where to buy a couch online. But when it comes to comfort, there are four retailers that perpetually knock it out of the park: West Elm, Crate and Barrel/CB2 and Horchow. First, you have West Elm—and unless you’ve been living under a rock, you already know what this brand is all about. Aside from its signature, mid-century modern aesthetic, it’s known for having an array of wide, overstuffed seating—along with an ultra-durable fabric library—at a relatively affordable price point (starting at $899). We’re also guessing you’re familiar with Crate and Barrel and CB2, which take a more high-end approach to everyday comfort. For those who don’t know, CB2 is a subbrand of Crate (albeit at a lower price point), where it elevates Crate’s clean lines and classic modern vibe with a more minimalist feel (Think: curvy sofas instead of rectangular ones and velvet/bouclé upholstery instead of polyester/linen). In both cases, however, the brands’ seating options are ultra-plushy with a relaxed, organic modern feel—and it’s worth mentioning that both offer collaborations with buzzy celebs and designers, from Gwyneth Paltrow and Lenny Kravitz to Athena Calderone and Jake Arnold. BUT, if you’re looking for a top-of-the-line, “looks like it’s on the cover of Arch Digest” sofa, Horchow is basically nirvana for interior enthusiasts (who don’t have a tax ID). Neiman Marcus’ sister site is a fan-favorite for its exclusivity, where each option is hand-selected from private vendors that, typically, are only available for purchase through retail stores and interior designers (think: Bernhardt, Caracole, Century and Four Hands, to name a few). The materials are thoughtfully manufactured to have a ‘luxe cush-factor’ you won’t find anywhere else—but consider yourself warned: Pricing reflects that.
Long story short? These brands are the creme de la creme of coziness (and all offer in-home and white glove delivery services). But of course, there are still a slew of other ultra-comfy seating options available—that won’t cost you an arm and a leg—spanning from retailers like AllModern, Burrow and Castlery to unbeatable, budget-friendly options at Target and Wayfair. Luckily, we pored over thousands of reviews to outline the 18 most comfortable sofas on the web, starting at just $500.
The Most Comfortable Sofas At a Glance
- Best Sofa Overall: West Elm Harmony Sofa
- Editor’s Pick: Arhaus Beale Sofa
- Best Sofa Under $600: Gap Home Upholstered Wood Base Sofa
- Best Modular Sofa: Crate and Barrel Lotus Deep Modular Sofa
- Best Trendy Sofa: CB2 Brace Sofa
- Best Apartment Sofa: Castlery Adams Loveseat
- Best Plush Sofa: Bernhardt Montreaux Power Motion Sofa
- Most Durable Sofa: Grandin Road Kye Sofa
- Most Customizable Sofa: Burrow The Nomad Sofa
- Most Splurge-Worthy Sofa: Lovesac Stealth Tech Sofa
- Best Sleeper Sofa: Wayfair Ravine Sleeper Sofa
- Best Deep Sofa: World Market Lukas Deep Seat Sofa
- Best Sofa With Storage: Honbay Sleeper Sofa
- Best Relaxed Sofa: Serena and Lily Beach House Sofa
- Most Unique Sofa: Urban Renewal Kantha Sofa
- Best Linen Sofa: Poly and Bark Capri Sofa
- Best Velvet Sofa: Lulu and Georgia Fabienne Sofa
- Best Leather Sofa: Pottery Barn Jake Leather Sofa
Best Sofa Overall
1. West Elm Harmony Sofa
- Dimensions: 76”x 41”D x 35”H (larger sizes available)
- Delivery and Assembly: White glove and in-store options available
- Why We Love It: Comfort is rated as a level 1 on the firmness scale, pillowy-soft cushions are made from duck down, duck feathers and polyester fiber, over 83 contract-grade fabric options, multiple sizes, hand-built with hand-finished upholstery
Let’s just get one thing out of the way: This sofa is a showcase in how to combine function and design. First, you have its seat firmness, which is rated 1 on the firmness scale (5 being firmest). Mainly, that’s because the reversible, removable cushions include high-gauge springs, duck feather and down filling and polyurethane foam cores for ample support. There’s also its relaxed, modern design (read: organic modern), which features a handcrafted, dark walnut wood frame and over 83 (!!) customizable fabric options to choose from. But the real kicker is its customizable size options, where you can choose between a 76-inch, 82-inch, 92-inch or 104-inch width, and a 41-inch or 47-inch depth, with the latter providing an ‘extra deep’ option (refer to number seven on this list for more on that.
“[Upon testing this sofa for the first time, my husband and I] agreed quite quickly that it was definitely the most comfortable couch we’d ever sat on. I still feel that way every time I plop down onto it after a long day,” one reviewer writes. “The back cushions are 45 percent duck feathers and 5 percent duck down, so basically they are super extra fluffy and soft. [And] as soft and cushy as it is, this couch never looks too worn-in or worn-out, which was a big concern for me when I purchased it. We’ve had it for four years now and it still looks as good as the day we brought it home.”
2. Arhaus Beale Sofa
- Dimensions: 85"W, 43"D, 35”H (available in larger sizes)
- Delivery and Assembly: Includes white glove
- Why We Love It: Extremely durable and long-lasting, goose down-padded seats and memory foam backrests, sinuous springs prevent sagging over time, upholstered with Crypton performance fabrics in five color options, multiple sizes available, materials are eco-friendly and sustainably sourced
ICYMI, performance fabrics make life easier—especially for large families—since the yarns are specially coated with patented technology to resist stains, spills, urine, blood, dirt—you name it. (Check out this video if you don’t believe me). So, thanks to a collaboration with Crypton (aka one of the best performance manufacturers on the market), Arhaus created a sofa that’s designed for comfort and daily use. Aside from its stunning linen upholstery options (available in snow, charcoal, linen, navy and slate), it also features goose down-padded lounge seats and no-sag, sinuous springs with memory foam backrests. The cushions are sterilized with down, feathers and poly-fiber to create a relaxing, “sink-into” feel and the cores are made with eco-friendly foam from plant-based materials.
Take it from one reviewer, who raved over the sectional version of this sofa: “It's [impossibly] comfortable, with luxe goose-down seat cushions complemented by reversible memory fiber-padded backrests…When I lay on it, I feel like I am laying in a cloud. It is the perfect sofa for napping, watching a movie, or reading a book.” It’s also worth mentioning another reviewer's take on how the Crypton upholstery wears over time: “The fabric does just as it says it would with the cleaning kit. [My dog] maybe goes on our couch once a day for a few minutes—and there have been a few stains from his paws. [If he does create a mess, however, the stains] come right out with the kit…[Last week there were], 16 muddy paw prints all over one cushion [and] they came right out with the stain remover.”
Best Sofa Under $600
3. Gap Home Upholstered Wood Base Sofa
- Dimensions: 84"L x 35"W x 36"H
- Delivery and Assembly: Expert assembly available
- Why We Love It: Foam-filled cushions are soft yet supportive, three linen-inspired fabric options, sturdy and durable for the price
Uh, did anyone else know Gap was doing furniture now? Apparently, that’s a thing, and we get why people are raving over this upholstered wooden pick. It features supportive, foam-filled cushions with tight zippers that keep everything in place—and allow you to remove and wash the covers when dirty—and three linen-inspired upholstery options, including oat navy and gray. The real draw, however, stems from the fact that it doesn’t get more wallet-friendly than this, where the final price rounds out to be $545 with tax (or $641, if you opt for the expert assembly option).
“This couch checked all [of my] boxes,” one reviewer raves. “It [has a neutral], modern design, it’s under [$600], it’s long enough to seat three people and it’s comfortable yet supportive. I also like that the seat and back cushions are reversible, in case of stains or damage from pets…Assembly was easy to do with two people but you could definitely do it on your own.” Plus, another person adds: “Love, love, love this couch! Love the color and how super comfy it is. I wasn't expecting it to be as thick and big as it is, but makes me think the cushions will last a long time then.”
Best Modular Sofa
4. Crate and Barrel Lotus Deep Modular Sofa
- Dimensions: 118.5"W, 39.5"D, 28"H (larger sizes available)
- Delivery and Assembly: In-home delivery and pick-up available
- Why We Love It: Eight size options with customizable depth, can build/add pieces to the sofa over time, cushions are packed with down that are supportive and non-sagging, 187 fabric and color options to choose from
Here, a classic Crate and Barrel option that’s not to be missed. As far as modular sofas go, this one is ultra-customizable with eight size options, 187 fabric and color options and the choice between a regular (35.5 inches) or extra-deep width (39.5 inches). On top of that, it also has a cloud-like build, where the cushions are packed with a fluffy down blend and just the right amount of inner support to keep it looking crisp (without sagging or sinking over time).
“This sofa is truly amazing,” one reviewer writes. “Both the back and seat cushions are so much more comfortable than I imagined they’d be. The seat cushions have just enough firmness to them that I know they’ll stay exactly as is over time, unlike with the ‘cloud couches’ where you have to constantly fluff them and/or add more filling to them to get them to be perky again. I got mine in the frost fabric, and it’s the perfect soft off-white. The fabric is thick, and will for sure hold up with pets and children. [Plus, I love how] if I ever move to a bigger space, I [can] buy additional modular pieces to [customize the couch to the space].”
Best Trendy Sofa
5. CB2 Brace Sofa
- Dimensions: 98.75" W, 39.5"D, 28"H
- Delivery and Assembly: In-home and pick-up available
- Why We Love It: On-trend, customizable with 27 fabric and color options, sunken and tufted design, sturdy, durable frame made from pine and plywood
As we mentioned above, CB2 is the trend-forward answer to Crate and Barrel—and this curved sofa is no exception. It’s available in 27 fabric and color options—from velvets and bouclés to wools and linens—and its Italian-inspired, sunken design features rounded edges and metal detailing on the sides that embodies the current buzz surrounding Newstalgic design. Plus, it gets bonus points for its sturdy pine and plywood frame, plush tufted silhouette, and sinuous wire suspension (which makes it feel bouncy and supportive with a springy feel).
One reviewer writes, “It's a stunning design that immediately catches the eye of my guests when they walk in, [and] it's SO comfortable to sit on for day-to-day living! Transitions well from my ‘formal hosting couch’ to my daily, couch-potato hang-out spot for cuddles with my dog.” Several reviews specifically mention the sofa’s firm yet supportive feel: “[It’s] really sturdy but firm…a dense layer of foam keeps [me] from lowering into it too much, and allows for an upright, [supported] posture while chilling. At first, I was a little disappointed but then immediately realized how much I like a supportive couch over a standard, cushiony version.”
Best Apartment Sofa
6. Castlery Adams Loveseat
- Dimensions: 72"W x 35.4"D x 33.1"H
- Delivery and Assembly: White glove available
- Why We Love It: Compact enough to fit in an apartment while still seating 2+ people, springy yet sinkable feel, available in four fabrics with customizable metal legs
Clocking in with a seatable width that’s just under 47-inches wide (set atop a 72-inch frame), this loveseat from Castlery is the perfect option for anyone who’s working with a compact space. The cushions, made from foam, fiber and pocketed spring coils, offer a supportive yet springy feel that won’t sag over time (while still providing a level of ‘sink’ while you’re seated). It has a sleek, contemporary build with straight legs (which you can customize to be black, brass or silver) and four fabric options to choose from—which were all created to be spill- and stain-resistant.
One reviewer writes: “this loveseat is the perfect size for our small living room. It’s firm, yet you can sink into it. [Also appreciate that it’s] easy to spot clean and has reversible cushions with removable covers!” Another person also writes, “I love the fact that even though it’s ‘two-seater,’ the sofa’s big enough to accommodate more than two people (while still being compact enough/not take up too much space. Also love the velvet material, it’s so smooth and very comfortable.”
Best Plush Sofa
7. Bernhardt Montreaux Power Motion Sofa
- Dimensions: 97” W x 43.5” D x 31” H
- Delivery and Assembly: Includes white glove delivery
- Why We Love It: Motion-powered reclining seats, footrests and headrests, hidden USB ports, ultra-cozy faux fur sherpa fabric, oversized curvy design makes it feel current
Introducing: The mecca of chic coziness. Not only does this sofa include a motion-powered reclining feature—where at the push of a button, you can move the seat from upright to reclined and raise/lower the headrest—but it also has USB ports hidden on the interior (so you’ll never run out of juice). What’s more, this thing is actually chic. Unlike other reclining sofas, this one features oversized, sumptuous arms, wheat faux-shearling upholstery (aka ultra-soft) and a rounded, bulbous body that makes it stand out from ugly polyester versions you’d see in big-box stores.
“[This] couches is dangerous,” writes one reviewer. “You could miss a day of work just to stay on this [thing]! Insanely comfortable.” Plus, another person adds: “Not only is it comfortable but it’s so luxurious!!! One caress [of the sherpa fabric] under my hand, and I know this baby was coming home with me.” That said, you want to be sure to spot-clean and vacuum the fabric a few times a month to prevent from dirt build-up and pilling.
Most Durable Sofa
8. Grandin Road Kye Sofa
- Dimensions: 90"W x 41"D x 36.25"H
- Delivery and Assembly: Assembly required
- Why We Love It: Removable covers are spill-and stain-resistant, performance fabric can be tossed in the wash, feather-and-foam cushions are the perfect level of sink and support, available in three upholstery colors
OK parents, this one goes out to you. When looking for a durable sofa (or really, any piece of seating your kids can get their sticky fingers on), you want something that’s equal parts plush and durable. And this number, which features feather-and-foam cushions with Livesmart Performance Fabric, hits both categories with flying colors. Not only is the fabric spill- and stain-resistant, but the cushions (and six included throw pillows) feature removable covers that you can toss in the wash. The cushions themselves, however, are the main selling point, where they have a 50/50 feather fiber blend that provides the ultimate sink-to-support ratio.
“[I] buy a million couches a year. This is THE COUCH,” one interior designer writes in a review. “It feels like it will last a lifetime. Sturdy. [And] it’s the perfect firmness-to-cloud ratio. You sink into a fully supportive cloud…no struggling to get out…and you feel weightless.” More importantly: People are blown away by how easy it is to clean. “The covers come off easily and wash beautifully… [When I removed the sofa from the box upon delivery], there were black hand prints ALL over the cushions and the frame. Luckily, [the] performance fabric [made it easy to] clean, where I could remove the covers, run them through the delicate cycle of my washer and dry-wipe the body of the sofa with a microfiber cloth. Cleaned [the stains right] up,” says one reviewer. And another adds: “Had my grandkids over and it cleaned up with soap and water. [Everything came right out]—and the most important part is that you can’t tell.”
Most Customizable Sofa
9. Burrow The Nomad Sofa
- Dimensions: 85" L x 35" D x 33" H
- Delivery and Assembly: Some assembly required
- Why We Love It: Customizable arm shape and tufted/untufted design, five fabric options, six leg customizations, cushions are formulated with three layers of foam and fiber to for an ultra-soft initial sit, assembly takes 15-minutes, comes with built-in USB ports and a charger
Live in a walk-up? Have a narrow doorway? This modern sofa arrives in eco-friendly packaging and can be assembled sans tools in ten minutes. More importantly: It offers a slew of rare design customizations that go beyond its five fabric options and customizable legs, from the choice between three arm styles (slope, arch and block) and tufted/untufted flip back cushions. And beyond that, the cushions are formulated with a proprietary, three-layer foam and fiber to offer a plush crown and ultra-soft initial sit.
“We love this couch! It [falls] between firm and soft, which is exactly how I like my couches, and the fabric is great…We had a friend spill wine on our couch the weekend we received it and the stain came out so easily. I also have three dogs and their fur doesn’t show up on the light grey color.” Plus, many reviewers applaud its super-easy assembly: “We have a tight staircase, so [we loved that it arrived in multiple boxes]. The couch itself is so comfortable and took us less than 15 minutes to put together once it was all unboxed.” Oh, and did we mention that it also comes with a built-in USB charger & 72-inch power cord?
Most Splurge-Worthy Sofa
10. Lovesac Stealth Tech Sofa
- Dimensions: Customizable
- Delivery and Assembly: Some assembly required
- Why We Love It: Includes Stealthtech technology, completely customizable design with multiple, size, material, pillow filling, arm shape and color options, storage seats available, deep sides, cushion covers are washable, can add extra seats/configurations over time
Speaking of customizations, Editor Olivia Dubyak awarded this sofa a whopping 97 out of 100 points in a PureWow100 review for its 100 percent custom-tailored design: “The size of the couch, material, pillow filling, arm shape and color are all customizable. You can choose a black, two-seater, chenille couch or a white, 12-seater, corded velvet couch with a rolled arm. And you can opt for storage seats and deep sides, and all cushion covers are washable.” It’s also extremely comfortable, per her review: “The cushions are nice and supportive and if you find you have a favorite spot on the couch and notice some denting, it’s super easy to fluff out the filling to reshape them…One of my fave configurations is when I put the seats in the center to shape it like a big mattress. My hubby and I have had high school-esque sleepovers out there plenty of times.” However, she also warns: “My one regret is not getting the deep sides, so you sit lower in the couch instead of higher up.”
It’s also worth mentioning that this sofa includes Lovesac’s newest innovation, Stealthtech, which features sound and charging equipment built into the couch that can hook up to your TV. “The Harman Kardon tech pairs with a soundbar that connects to your TV via Bluetooth and projects the sound from not only the soundbar, but also the arms of the couch, for an experience that’s more like being in a theater than sitting in your living room. You can also set your cell phone on designated areas on the arms to wirelessly charge, you know, should getting up to find an outlet prove too daunting,” Dubyak explains.
Best Sleeper Sofa
11. Wayfair Ravine Sleeper Sofa
- Dimensions: 37'' H x 89'' W x 40'' D
- Delivery and Assembly: Arrives fully assembled
- Why We Love It: Includes memory foam sleeper mattress (queen-sized), fluffy cushions are supported by springs and heavy-gauge steel to prevent sagging and shifting, 51 fabric upholstery choices include performance fabrics,
Need something extra cushy for when you have guests over (or when you can’t take your S.O’s snoring anymore)? This guy is the ticket. At first glance, it’s a two-seater sofa with rolled arms and a loose back with cushions that are supported by sinuous springs and heavy-gauge steel that prevents sagging and shifting. But you can also remove the cushions and pull out the frame to reveal a memory foam sleeper mattress (queen-sized) that’s heavenly soft to sink into. Plus it’s available in over 51 upholstery options, which span from ultra-trendy colors like (sage in the ‘Conversation Capri’ fabric) to Sunbrella performance fabrics that guarantee durability.
“I like that all of the cushions are removable and can be flipped. The back cushions are very comfortable—not too soft or too stiff…[Also love that the cushions are] a little high—a petite person can lean back and have their feet [not] touch the ground. [Plus], the mattress [is very] comfortable for a sleeper—we couldn't feel the bars through it,” one reviewer writes.
Best Deep Sofa
12. World Market Lukas Deep Seat Sofa
- Dimensions: 84.8"W x 37.4"D x 37"H
- Delivery and Assembly: Assembly required
- Why We Love It: Extra deep 37.4-inch depth, supportive yet sinkable foam cushions, made with stain- and spill-resistant performance fabric, removable/reversible seat, arm and back cushions
Yet another design lesson to keep in mind while you’re shopping? The difference between a normal sofa and a deep sofa. Basically, if the depth from the front of the sofa to the back measures 30-inches or above, you [probably] have yourself a ‘deep sofa’ (but be sure to double-check the description). To that end, this one takes ‘extra-deep’ to a whole new meaning with a 37.4-inch depth and overstuffed cushions with removable covers. It also gets bonus points for its stain- and spill-resistant, linen performance fabric (so you won’t have to worry about ruining its elegant ivory finish).
One reviewer says, “we are obsessed with this sofa… it’s so deep and allows for comfortable reclining, but not so much that you sink too far into it.” Another adds: “I bought [this sofa] about three months ago, [and it] still looks pretty new with regular shaking out/fluffing up of the pillows and cushions… it's amazingly comfy and [you] can even take off the pillows and make it a little daybed for guests.” That said, they also warn: “I will say, this is a two-person job to carry the box it came in.”
Best Sofa With Storage
13. Honbay Sleeper Sofa
- Dimensions: 87"D x 55.9"W x 33.9"H (convertible)
- Delivery and Assembly: In-home assembly required
- Why We Love It: Includes six hidden storage spaces under each seat, spring-packed seats and cushions are supportive and sag-resistant, comes with seven modules that can be converted into a full-sized bed or L- or U-shape sofa.
If you’re anything like us, you love a hidden storage piece—and this 6-seat sleeper features storage under each seat for all of your blankets and tech gear. Atop the storage, however, there are spring-packed seats that (per the manufacturer) won’t deform and collapse over time, and foam-filled cushions that offer a supportive yet soft feel. Plus, on top of its storage and softness, the sofa comes with seven modules, where it can be configured into an L or U shape sofa or turned into a full-sized bed that can fit two adults.
“[This sofa is] comfortable for two adults to sleep on, easy to put together, [and soft to the touch]... [the] under cushion storage area [is amazing], and the frame feels super sturdy.” One person also adds: “Sometimes we put all [the modules] together so it’s a giant bed-couch, sometimes we make it a couch with two Chez and an ottoman, sometimes it’s a couch with two lives seats, sometimes it’s a row of seats lining a wall so we can fit more people in the house for a party—you can reconfigure it in minutes, it’s comfortable, looks great. I love it more than I thought I would when I bought it.”
Best Relaxed Sofa
14. Serena and Lily Beach House Sofa
- Dimensions: 96”W x 42”D x 36”H.(available in larger sizes)
- Delivery and Assembly: White glove included
- Why We Love It: Down blended cushions have a relaxed feel, coil springs underneath prevent sagging, customizable size and fabric options, performance fabrics available
If you’re thinking of giving your beach house an upgrade (yes, we’re jealous), you can’t go wrong with anything Serena and Lily. We’re drooling over its latest introduction, The Beach House sofa, which was intentionally designed to look and feel ultra-relaxed. It features a deep, 32-inch depth seat bench with cushions that are blended with down and feathers—and resilient, hand-tied coil springs underneath create even suspension (aka no sagging over time). Yet, aside from its construction, we’re absolutely obsessed with the double-needle topstitching on the cushions (which gives it a classic coastal flair) and its over 157 upholstery options, which include performance fabrics in bouclé, linen and velvet looks. Plus, you can also customize the size, where there’s the option to choose between 96-inch, 108-inch, and 120-inch widths.
That said, it’s worth mentioning that everything is made to order—and if you’re looking to showcase this guy at your BBQ this summer, we recommend placing your order at least 10-12 weeks in advance.
Most Unique Sofa
15. Urban Renewal Kantha Sofa
- Dimensions: 85.5”L x 34.5”W x 29”H
- Delivery and Assembly: Assembly required
- Why We Love It: One-of-a-kind fabric with kantha stitching, cushions are fluffy and comfortable for napping, extra-deep seat depth, wooden legs makes it feel sturdy
ICYMI, minimal-maximal interiors are trending right now—and it doesn’t get more (fabulously) funky than this. The sofa is topped with a cozy, one-of-a-kind boho fabric and kantha stitching that reminds us of something you’d only be able to find at a quaint Massachusetts flea market (making it unlike anything else on the market). It features overstuffed feathered cushions with a deep seat depth of 34.5-inches, plus natural wooden legs that makes it feel sturdy. It’s equal parts kitchy and cool and reviewers can’t get enough of how it feels just as good as it looks.
One reviewer writes: “I finally moved into my house and HAD to get it for this dining space. It’s actually super comfortable which shocked me. And everyone who sits on it is also surprised at how cushy it is. Perfect little nap couch and beautiful statement piece.” Plus, another person adds: “It’s so beautiful; like a work of art. It has hand-stitching along the cushions, the kantha fabrics are rich, bright, and cozy [and I love how everything about the design is] unique.”
Best Linen Sofa
16. Poly and Bark Capri Sofa
- Dimensions: 99"W x 40"L x 28"H
- Delivery and Assembly: Arrives fully assembled
- Why We Love It: Performance blended linen fabric is stain-, spill- and scratch-resistant, cushions are made of sturdy foam with a down-proof layer on the outer shell, reversible back cushions
Let’s face it: Keeping up with a light linen sofa is a struggle (well it was, until performance fabrics came along). Now, we have this introduction from Poly and Bark, which features a linen, viscose, cotton and polyester blend for a fabric that’s stain- and spill-resistant to both water and oil-based messes. Beyond that, however, you have the cozy appeal of its seat cushions, which are made from high-resiliency foam and a layer of feathers in a down-proof cambric shell. Not only are the cushions soft and sinkable, but the reversible back cushions make it super easy to fluff and flip when needed
“It’s so hard to find [linen] cushion sofas, [and this one] gives a clean, modern/organic farmhouse type vibe to the room. It’s nice when you sit down, too, because they aren’t soooo deep to where you have to push yourself back to sit upright…The performance-grade white fabric is [also] a very forgiving texture; it won’t show dirt,” one reviewer says. Plus, another person adds: “[This sofa is] extremely comfortable and stands up to all sorts of [messes], including stains and my golden retriever’s [scratches].”
Best Velvet Sofa
17. Lulu and Georgia Fabienne Sofa
- Dimensions: 90"W x 40"D x 34"H
- Delivery and Assembly: White glove delivery available
- Why We Love It: Available in five vintage-inspired velvet fabrics, polyfoam and down-filled cushions are cushy and durable, curved legs offer a classic flair, casters prevent from scratching the floor, includes two bolster pillows
Yet another trendy option that doesn’t sacrifice snuggle for style? This vintage-inspired piece that looks like it’s straight out of a London townhome. Mainly, this has to do with its velvet upholstery—which is available in blue, cognac, green, moss and natural—and the classic curved legs set atop four casters (and glides that prevent from scratching the floor). What makes it so comfortable? The removable cushions are filled with a polyurethane foam core and a fiber feather-down wrap, so aside from coziness, you won’t worry about them losing their fluff over time.
“I was hesitant to order this [sofa] without sitting on it first, but it is extremely comfortable for lounging. Super cushy, but not so much that you sink into the couch…It's perfect for sitting waaay back (with your feet up) or sitting up. My husband is 6'2" and didn't think he'd like the couch because of the lower back, but he hasn't had any issues with it. We [also] have a lab that sits on it all the time and NO HAIR gets stuck in the fabric. The fabric does get wide wrinkles, but it lends to the casual nature of the couch and contrasts with the more formal style. It's amazing,” writes one reviewer.
Best Leather Sofa
18. Pottery Barn Jake Leather Sofa
- Dimensions: 63"W x 40"D x 31.5"H (larger sizes available)
- Delivery and Assembly: White glove available
- Why We Love It: Soft and sinkable, down-blended cushions offers a soft yet supportive feel, ultra-customizable with multiple size, cushion and upholstered leather finishes
Unlike other leather options that are pretty without being practical, this one is wrapped around down-blended cushions for a fluffy feel. The cushions are crafted with an ultra-relaxed fit and medium-soft feel, so they’re plush yet supportive, and the no-sag sinuous springs provide extra durability where you need it. Then, you also have its totally customizable design, which includes sizes that vary from a 63- to 95.5-inch width, one-, two- and three-seat cushion options (as well as two- or three-back cushions) and choices among choices of leather finishes—from burnished walnut to forest green.
One reviewer writes: “This particular leather finish is soft—almost suede-like—and has an aged charm that encourages visual character to develop over time. The firmness seems to differ slightly between the seat and back cushions, which lends to a comfortable, sustainable overall sit. This version of the Jake stands out, especially among other leather [options I’ve seen online].”
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.