The 40 Best Valentine's Day Cookies to Make with Your Family
Chocolate and candy hearts may be traditional for Valentine’s Day, but when it comes to sweet treats for the whole fam, we’re all about cookies. They’re easy to make and delicious to eat, plus everyone can lend a hand. So grab your partner, the kids, your roommate, your dog…you get the idea—it’s going to be a night of baking on February 14. From heart thumbprints to chocolate brownie cookies, here are the 40 best Valentine’s Day cookies to make with your family.
How to Package Valentine’s Day Cookies as Gifts
Since homemade cookies are far superior to conversation hearts, here are a few tips for packaging and gifting your treats.
- Put together a cookie box with a variety of cookies and other treats like wrapped candies and chocolate
- Package iced cookies in individual glassine bags or envelopes to show off your hard work
- Attach sturdy cookies (like sugar cookies) to lollipop sticks with melted chocolate and arrange them into a bouquet
- Showcase bite-size cookies in mason jars tied with ribbon for a festive touch
1. Berries and Cream Cookies
These cookies have a secret. (Spoiler, it’s freeze-dried strawberries.)
2. Raspberry Sugar Cookies
Who needs icing when your dough looks like that?!
3. Tie-Dye Sugar Cookies
You can apply this icing technique to any shape, but c’mon, the holiday calls for hearts.
4. Big Raspberry-Rye Cookies
Looks can be deceiving, and these humble cookies pack a surprising punch in the flavor department.
5. Tiny Coconut Cookies with Hibiscus Glaze
They taste like a tropical vacation and look like a neon Valentine’s Day dream.
6. Nutella Sandwich Cookies
The family will be psyched when you pull the Nutella out of the pantry for these chocolate-hazelnut sandwich cookies.
7. Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies
Nothing says “I love you” quite like heart sprinkles and red food dye.
8. Pink and White Valentine’s Day Cookies
They’re like the classic black-and-white version, but festive and strawberry-flavored.
9. Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate
We know you have a bag of heart-shape chocolates lying around, waiting to become cookies.
10. Valentine’s Day Heart Sugar Cookies
They definitely taste a lot better than the candy version.
11. M&M Cheesecake Cookie Bars
If you ask us, the more layers the better. These bars have three.
12. Easy Shortbread Cookies
Sometimes simple wins out. These buttery cookies call for just three ingredients.
13. Heart Cookies
Chocolate and sprinkles are two of our favorite things about this holiday.
14. Double Chocolate Chunk Raspberry-Stuffed Cookies
Psst: These cookies are each stuffed with a raspberry or two for a fruity surprise.
15. Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies
Double the chocolate, double the love.
17. Soft and Fluffy Strawberry Cookies with Vanilla Frosting
Freeze-dried strawberries in the dough ensure a burst of strawberry flavor in every bite.
18. Red Velvet Marshmallow Dream Cookies
A cookie that requires a napkin is a very good thing.
19. Chocolate Brownie Cookies
They’re fudgy on the inside and crackly on the outside, just like your favorite brownie recipe.
20. Sparkle Sweetheart Cookies
The pink and red sanding sugars give these cookies a crunchy texture and they look damn cute.
21. Conversation Heart Cookies
The kids dictate, you write. Hilarity ensues.
22. Peanut Butter Sweethearts
Peanut butter and chocolate are the ultimate symbol of love, no?
23. Linzer Cookies
These classic sandwich cookies are equal parts elegant and delicious.
24. Gluten-Free Flourless Cocoa Cookies
No flour equals less mess and more chocolatey flavor.
25. Botanical Shortbread Cookies
Flowers are synonymous with Valentine’s Day, so why not add some edible florals to delicious shortbread cookies? We didn’t think you’d object.
26. Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
You won’t need a rolling pin for these heart-shaped red velvet crinkle cookies. Use a cookie cutter on the warm baked cookies right out of the oven for simple cleanup.
27. Pink Chocolate Dipped Palmiers
You can totally use store-bought palmier cookies to make this baking project stress-free.
28. Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Did you know that boxed cake mix makes extremely fluffy cookies? Grab the pink kind for some festive Valentine’s Day bites.
29. Ice Cream Sundae Cookies
Let everyone toss their favorite toppings into the batter to make these ice cream sundae–inspired cookies.
30. Raspberry Hugs Chocolate Cookies
Can't find Hershey's Raspberry Hugs to stuff inside? Original Hugs are every bit as tasty—as are Cherry Cordial Kisses.
31. Raw Oreos
No time to bake? No problem. Have the family assemble these Oreo-inspired cookies. (Psst: They’re also plant-based.)
32. Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches
The only thing better than a Valentine’s Day cookie? Two, with ice cream in the middle.
33. Lemon Rose Shortbread Cookies
This five-ingredient cookie is pretty basic, but you can jazz it up with dried rose petals and blood orange if your heart desires.
34. Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pretty in pink (and red).
35. Thick and Fudgy Double Chocolate Cookies
Chocolates, schmocolates. Skip the heart-shaped box and devour these little guys instead.
36. Heart Thumbprint Cookies
This is just a variation on a traditional thumbprint cookie, but the two indentations go in opposite directions to create a heart—cue the awws.
37. Jammy Shortbread Bars
Keep the layers on the thin side and they’ll remain stackable for gift boxes (if you don’t eat them all first).
38. Itty-Bitty Sandwich Cookies
They’re meant to be eaten by the handful, so you might want to make a second batch.
39. Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
After the cakes cool, have the kids help you assemble all the whoopie pies. (Icing will be all over their clothes, the floor and the dog. Just go with it.)
40. Easy Geode Cookies
The secret to these gorgeous bejeweled cookies? Rock candy.