Royal News Roundup: Meghan Markle & Prince Harry's New Baby, the Queen's Response & More
HERE, ALL THE ROYAL NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK OF JUNE 10, 2021.
- In anticipation of her book’s release, the Meghan Markle sent a copy of The Bench to her close family and friends. Photographer Gray Malin shared a clip of the copy he received from his pal featuring a personal message from Markle. She even signed it “As ever.”
Prince William and Kate Middleton aren’t holding back on the YouTube content. On Friday, the royal couple posted a video montage on their joint Instagram account (@dukeandduchessofcambridge), featuring clips from the royal tour of Scotland.
If you’ve ever wanted to get up close and personal with Princess Diana’s iconic wedding dress, now’s your chance to do just that. The brand-new Kensington Palace exhibit, Royal Style in the Making, is now open to the public. Although the display features a variety of historical fashion pieces, the most notable is the stunning centerpiece: Princess Diana’s wedding gown.
On Thursday, Charles Spencer paid tribute to the anniversary of his late mother Frances Shand Kydd’s death by sharing a rare photograph of the mother-son duo enjoying a family day at the beach. “My mother and I on Brancaster beach, 55 years ago. She died 17 years ago today, aged 68,” he captioned the post on Instagram.
- Princess Eugenie shared a video for her new collective, a charity that works to end modern-day slavery, which featured a thoughtful message, as well as a surprising new look for Princess Eugenie. The royal was seen sporting a shoulder-length hairstyle, with her auburn locks curled at the ends, giving her a very classic appearance.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle recently revealed that they welcomed their second child, a baby girl named Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor. The exciting news was shared on the Archewell website, where they said that Lili was born on June 4 at 11:40 am at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, CA. She was born weighing 7 lbs 11 oz.
- And it seems like the couple is ready to spend some quality time as a family of four. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex officially announced that they will be on parental leave. Part of their statement read: “While the Duke and Duchess are on parental leave, Archewell will continue to do important work and publish stories on the site. We look forward to seeing you!”
- Following the exciting news, Queen Elizabeth released a sweet statement of her own on the official royal family IG account. And she wasn’t the only one. Prince William and Kate Middleton, Prince Charles and even Princess Eugenie revealed their excitement about the news.
- This week, Sophie, Countess of Wessex shared details about her go-to parenting trick. While homeschooling during lockdown, the Countess of Wessex explained that when things got heated, she always made her kids walk away and get some fresh air so they could then return with a clear mind.
- On Tuesday, the 95-year-old monarch conducted two virtual audiences from Windsor Castle. During the event, Her Majesty met with the ambassador from the Republic of South Sudan, Ms. Agnes Oswaha, and with the High Commissioner for the Republic of Mozambique in London, Ms. Albertina MacDonald, who were attending the Zoom from Buckingham Palace.
- Queen Elizabeth is remembering her late husband, Prince Philip, ahead of what would have been his 100th birthday. Last week, the 95-year-old monarch was given a Duke of Edinburgh rose by the Royal Horticulture Society, of which she is patron. Per Buckingham Palace, the deep pink rose was specially gifted to mark Philip’s centenary.
Prince Harry recently broke his silence to set the record straight about the name he and Meghan Markle chose for their new daughter, Lilibet (or “Lili”). A spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex released a rare statement addressing recent rumors, which claim he didn’t ask for Queen Elizabeth’s permission to name Lilibet after her. After debunking the gossip, Prince Harry revealed that he would have picked another moniker if the monarch hadn’t approved.
Want to know more about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s baby girl Lili?
Where does the new baby fall in the British line of succession?
The gorgeous meaning behind the newborn’s name.
The hidden connection between Meghan Markle’s baby name choice and her wedding day.
Turns out the name ‘Lili’ has been on Prince Harry's mind for years.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s request after the birth of their daughter.
Harry & Meghan's daughter has a special tie to Princess Charlotte.
Prince Charles spoke in public for the first time since welcoming his granddaughter.
Meghan Markle’s special gift for baby Lili.
- Why Lilibet has already made history.