Royal News Roundup: Meghan & Harry’s Secret Engagement Story, Charles’s Surprising Retirement Plan & a Look Inside William's House
HERE, ALL THE ROYAL NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK OF JULY 30, 2020.
- Excerpts from a new tell-all book called Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family came to light this week and revealed a lot of information about the relationship of the royal couple including details on their secret engagement, who said “I love you” first and Prince Harry’s old Instagram handle.
- This week, Queen Elizabeth took part in a major first of her career: a virtual portrait unveiling. The 94-year-old monarch paid a virtual visit to the U.K. Foreign and Commonwealth Office to learn about the organization’s COVID-19 response and participate in the unveiling of a new work of art featuring Her Majesty. And she seemed very pleased with the results.
Prince William pulled back the curtain on a room of his Norfolk home we’ve never seen before. On Monday, the 38-year-old royal sat down to chat with soccer stars (including David Beckham) about the Mentally Healthy Football Declaration, a new part of William’s Heads Up campaign. Luckily, the royal shared a video from their conversations on the official Kensington Royal account.
- That wasn’t the only sneak peek William gave us this week. While promoting one of his new projects, where he joined Peter Crouch for a special episode of That Peter Crouch Podcast in support of the Heads Up campaign, he posted behind-the-scenes footage from the recording sessions which took place inside Kensington Palace.
- Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi recently embarked on a “low-key honeymoon,” it was revealed by The Daily Mail this week. The news broke shortly after the Princess of York was spotted by tourists in the south of France with her new husband.
- Princess Anne set the record straight on her iconic hairstyle. The 69-year-old royal got word of an interview which stated that recreating the look on Netflix’s hit series The Crown took hours. She revealed in her new documentary called Princess Royal: Anne at 70 that the ’do isn’t really that hard to achieve. “I mean, it takes me 10 or 15 minutes,” she said.
NEW: A first look behind the scenes of those royal video calls ??? Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) July 28, 2020
Watch how Princess Anne tried to teach her elderly mother about @zoom_us.
But her elderly mother is, err, the Queen.
?? A great clip from tomorrow?s documentary ?Anne: The Princess Royal at 70? on @itv 9pm ?? pic.twitter.com/duHzozH2x5
- In more relatable news, Princess Anne revealed that she’s had to help her mother, Queen Elizabeth, with using technology, as evidenced by this funny clip from a preview for the new documentary in honor of her upcoming 70th birthday.
- Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles stepped out at the Bristol Distribution Centre to thank some of the 700 workers there for their efforts to keep food supplies moving during the COVID-19 pandemic. During their visit, the pair made a rare statement in regards to the possibility of retiring. In short, it’s not gonna happen.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are saying “ta-ta” to the Sussex Royal Foundation according to new documents. The papers hint that the foundation is undergoing a name change. To no one’s surprise, the new moniker has little-to-no ties with the royal family: The MWX Foundation, which stands for “Markle Windsor.”