Butternut? Been there, done that. This winter squash season, we’re expanding our repertoire and embracing a new gourd: delicata. Never tried it? It’s small and cylindrical with a nutty, earthy, sweet-potato-esque flavor and a thin, striped rind that—get this—doesn’t need to be peeled. Oh, and it’s versatile to boot, whether you’re roasting up a simple vegetable side dish or transforming it into a fall-friendly soup. Not sure where to start? Try any of these 30 delicata squash recipes.
30 Delicata Squash Recipes to Try This Fall (Because Butternut Is Old News)
But first, a few tips for working with delicata squash
- Delicata squash doesn’t require peeling because the rind is thin and edible when cooked. But breaking down a winter squash can still be tough. Save your precious fingers by using a super sharp kitchen knife (dull knives cause more injuries) and stabilizing the squash with your nondominant hand—fingertips curled under, please.
- To slice a delicata squash into rounds, simply trim the ends and slice crosswise into ½-inch rings. Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- For half-moon cuts, trim the ends, carefully halve the entire squash and remove the seeds with a spoon, then slice each half into ½-inch half-moons.
- To cube a delicata, proceed as if you’re slicing half-moons, but cut the squash halves lengthwise into strips instead, then cut the strips into cubes.
2. Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
Imagine this in your Thanksgiving spread. The fresh flavor and vibrant color will be *so* welcome among all those creamy, rich classics.
8. Roasted Delicata Squash Fries
They’re like sweet potato fries, only elevated.
9. Harissa-roasted Cauliflower With Delicata Squash And Chickpeas
Oh look, it’s our other favorite cool-weather veggie, cauliflower. Pair this dish with a grain for a light-yet-satisfying main.
10. Chorizo-spiced Delicata Squash Tortas
This certainly beats a PB&J. (No offense, PB&J.)
11. Delicata Squash Salad
With cranberries, pistachios, honey balsamic and plenty of feta.
13. Roasted Squash With Brown Butter And Toasted Quinoa
Think of the toasted quinoa like crispy, savory, brown-buttery sprinkles.
14. Crockpot Parmesan White Bean Chicken Soup With Roasted Delicata Squash
It’s so much more interesting than plain chicken soup, and it basically makes itself in the slow cooker while you re-watch every episode of The Great British Bake-Off (or scroll through TikTok).
16. Crispy Sage Roasted Delicata Squash
Sage and squash are a natural pair, and the balsamic glaze just boosts those fall flavors even more. (Bonus, it’s vegan.)
17. Grilled Autumn Vegetables With Sage Brown Butter Dip
If you’re only grilling in the summer months, allow this gorgeous crudité platter to change your mind. You might need a headlamp, but the results are worth it.
23. Buttered Mushroom, Fig And Bacon Galette With Roasted Squash
Pie for dinner > pie for dessert.
26. Vegetarian Tacos With Delicata Squash And Mushrooms
Everything tastes better in a taco.
27. Fall Harvest Quinoa Salad
Summer might be salad season, but fall salads deserve more love. They’re hearty, cozy and an excellent way to enjoy the season’s produce.
29. Grilled Apple Cider Chicken With Grilled Spiced Delicata And Sweet Potatoes
We’re thinking about replacing our Thanksgiving turkey with this dish—just look at it.
30. Wild Mushroom Roasted Squash Pizza
Squash on pizza? Your takeout place could never.