30 Delicata Squash Recipes to Try This Fall (Because Butternut Is Old News)
Butternut? Been there, done that. This winter squash season, we’re expanding our repertoire and embracing a new gourd: delicata. Never tried it? It’s small and cylindrical with a nutty, earthy, sweet-potato-esque flavor and a thin, striped rind that—get this—doesn’t need to be peeled. Oh, and it’s versatile to boot, whether you’re roasting up a simple vegetable side dish or transforming it into a fall-friendly soup. Not sure where to start? Try any of these 30 delicata squash recipes.
But first, a few tips for working with delicata squash
- Delicata squash doesn’t require peeling because the rind is thin and edible when cooked. But breaking down a winter squash can still be tough. Save your precious fingers by using a super sharp kitchen knife (dull knives cause more injuries) and stabilizing the squash with your nondominant hand—fingertips curled under, please.
- To slice a delicata squash into rounds, simply trim the ends and slice crosswise into ½-inch rings. Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- For half-moon cuts, trim the ends, carefully halve the entire squash and remove the seeds with a spoon, then slice each half into ½-inch half-moons.
- To cube a delicata, proceed as if you’re slicing half-moons, but cut the squash halves lengthwise into strips instead, then cut the strips into cubes.
1. Delicata Squash Rings with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
We’re calling it: Delicata rings are the new onion rings.
3. Delicata Squash Agrodolce
Agrodolce is just Italian for “sweet and sour.” Here, that means honey, lime juice, white wine vinegar and a side dish that will totally bowl over your dinner guests.
4. Pumpkin Seed Pesto Pasta with Caramelized Delicata Squash
Arugula pumpkin seed pesto is to sweaters and scarves as basil pine nut is to bikinis and beach reads. (Or something like that.)
5. Roasted Delicata Squash with Miso Butter
This dish is simple to put together, but the way the sweet squash and savory, salty miso butter complement each other is *chef’s kiss.*
6. Brown Sugar Delicata Squash
This one goes out to fans of that sweet potato marshmallow casserole number.
7. Roasted Delicata Squash with Hazelnuts
A back-pocket trick to making any vegetable side feel fancier than it is? Add toasted nuts.
12. Stuffed Delicata Squash with Quinoa, Cranberry and Pistachio
If you’re not eating out of a gourd at least once this season, you’re doing it wrong.
15. Roasted Delicata Squash, Pomegranate and Arugula Salad
Great news: It tastes as good as it looks.
18. Sticky Pomegranate Meatball Bowls
It’s easy enough to make on a weeknight, but tastes like the opposite of a boring weeknight meal.
19. Chipotle-Glazed Delicata Squash
Serve the spicy-sweet squash over rice and beans for a complete meal.
20. Delicata Squash Bake with Tahini Sauce
Nine ingredients and 30 minutes are all it takes to add a new staple to your holiday menu.
21. Roasted Root Vegetables with Maple-Vanilla Butter
Maple-vanilla butter on vegetables sounds strange but tastes like magic.
24. Kale Salad with Roasted Delicata Squash and Miso Dressing
If loving kale is wrong, we don’t want to be right. Since it doesn’t get wilty, it’s the ideal pair for hearty toppings like roasted delicata squash.
25. Delicata Squash Salad Bowls
Or flip the script and put the salad inside the squash.
28. Twice Baked Delicata Squash with Crispy Za’atar Roasted Chickpeas
The thin skin makes delicata great for twice baking. Think of them as slightly fancier, slightly healthier potatoes.
30. Wild Mushroom Roasted Squash Pizza
Squash on pizza? Your takeout place could never.