Royal News Roundup: Camilla Gets a New Title, Queen Elizabeth Makes a Statement & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of September 9, 2021.
- We don't know if there was anyone who was quite as excited for International Dog Day as James Middleton. The British businessman and brother of Kate Middleton has always kept a pack of dogs by his side, and he celebrated the canine-honoring holiday by snuggling up with his many pups on Instagram last week.
- Camilla Parker Bowles is revealing the recipe for her special Victoria Sponge cake. The official Clarence House IG account recently posted a pic of the duchess holding her delicacy, followed by three slides that give instructions on the ingredients needed and the method for constructing the yummy dessert.
This week, Sophie, Countess of Wessex visited RAF Wittering to attend the annual Countess of Wessex Cup. Per a post shared on the royal family’s Instagram account, the tournament sees “HRH’s military regiments and associations come together to compete in a series of challenges.” The post included a handful of photos featuring Prince Edward’s wife—looking military chic in uniform—alongside servicemen and women at the event.
- Prince Philip is being commemorated by a surprising new group: The Royal National Lifeboat Institution. It was recently announced that the RNLI will be naming a lifeboat after the royal in honor of his love for the sea and his time in the royal navy. “The @rnli have announced that their new state-of-the-art lifeboat will be named after His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh,” they wrote on Instagram.
- A source recently revealed that while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge usually split their time between Kensington Palace and their country home, Anmer Hall, they are “seriously considering” making a permanent move to be closer to Queen Elizabeth. Specifically, the family of five is thinking about joining Her Majesty at Windsor.
- Bowles just received an all-new title, and it involves a cause she holds close to her heart. The Duchess of Cornwall is now an official royal patron of The Mirabel Centre. Located in Lagos, the facility is Nigeria’s first-ever sexual assault referral center, as Hello! magazine points out.
- Kate Middleton and Prince William are making diversity a priority for their official Royal Foundation—at least according to the organization’s newly released 2020 Trustees and Auditor's report. The documents revealed to their trustees that going forward the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge plan on emphasizing diversity (among other things), something that has never been recorded in the report before.
- Queen Elizabeth is congratulating athletes following the conclusion of the Tokyo Paralympics. On Sunday, to mark the end of the two-week event, the 95-year-old monarch shared a rare message of support for those who participated in the games this year. The personal note was posted on the official Instagram account of the royal family alongside a photo of the athletes and their respective flags.
Queen Elizabeth wasn’t the only one sending heartfelt messages to athletes. Kate Middleton and Prince William have also shared a rare statement to congratulate team Great Britain. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge posted a slideshow on their joint personal Instagram account, along with a sentimental note.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royals story by subscribing here.