Royal News Roundup: Queen Elizabeth’s Big Return, Meghan Markle’s Take on Social Media & Updates on Baby Archie
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of October 14, 2020.
- Kate Middleton, 38, recently hosted a virtual ceremony at the Natural History Museum, where she announced the winner of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year award. Shortly after filming the address, Kensington Palace shared a rare behind-the-scenes photo from the shoot. For the occasion, Middleton looked chic in an all-black tailored pantsuit and blazer (which is reportedly from one of her favorite designers, Alexander McQueen).
- In honor of World Mental Health Day, Meghan Markle appeared alongside her hubby, Prince Harry, on the Teenager Therapy podcast (hosted by five students from Anaheim, California) to discuss the impact of social media on mental health. During the interview, the Duchess of Sussex opened up about “the most trolled person in the entire world.”
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex took part in another video conference this week. While having a virtual chat with education activist Malala Yousafzai for International Day of the Girl, the couple opened up about spending more quality time with their one-year-old, admitting that they were able to see him walk for the first time. Prince Harry revealed, "We were both there for his first steps. His first run, his first fall, his first everything."
- Earlier this week, Princess Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank, celebrated their second wedding anniversary. On Instagram, Queen Elizabeth's granddaughter marked the occasion by posting a romantic tribute to her husband, including a montage with never-before-seen wedding photos. She wrote, “Been the best 2 years married to you and 10 years with you in total.. Happy memories always my dear Jack.”
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently received a formal apology for invasion of privacy and harassment they (as well as their son Archie) experienced earlier this year. The company in question (the news agency X17) has agreed to settle a lawsuit and “to turn over the photos to the family, destroy any copies in its archives or databases and never again traffic in any photos of the couple or their son taken by similar means.”
- On Tuesday, Markle had a virtual chat with Fortune for the Most Powerful Next Gen Summit, where she discussed the importance of taking action and using social media for good. But while Markle fully supports using social platforms for change, she revealed that she's been keeping her distance from it for her "own self-preservation."
- On Wednesday, the Duchess of Cambridge paid an unexpected visit to the Institute of Reproductive and Development Biology at Imperial College London to meet with families affected by miscarriage, stillbirth and premature birth as well as hear from researchers specializing in those areas. For the occasion, the 38-year-old opted for a deep blue, long-sleeve midi dress by Emilia Wickstead with matching colored Prada pumps.
- On Thursday, Queen Elizabeth and Prince William visited the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) near Salisbury to formally open the new Energetics Analysis Centre. During the outing, the duo viewed a demonstration of a Forensic Explosives Investigation and met staff employed in counter-terrorism and security as well as members of the military. The event not only marked the first time the queen has attended a public engagement in seven months but it's also the first time in two years she and Will have done a solo joint outing.