- Queen Elizabeth posted a heartfelt birthday tribute for her daughter-in-law—Sophie, Countess of Wessex—on the royal family’s official Instagram account. The monarch wrote, “Wishing The Countess of Wessex a very Happy Birthday today!”
- During her first official outing of 2022, Kate Middleton visited the Foundling Museum with Prince William. Instead of donning her signature hairstyle, the Duchess of Cambridge opted for a bouncy blowout.
- Royal expert Victoria Arbiter weighed in on the sibling rivalry between Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret, noting that they had quite a few passionate arguments as kids. “They could go at it. Marion Crawford, their governess, had said they didn’t hesitate to argue and fight. Elizabeth apparently had a good left hook, whereas Margaret wasn’t shy to bite her sister in return,” Arbiter said in the documentary Princess Margaret: Rebel Without a Crown, per Express UK.
- Lady Marina Windsor offered a rare glimpse of her personal life on Instagram by sharing a photo of herself and her older brother, Edward (Lord Downpatrick), taking a winter stroll.
Royal News Roundup: Kate Middleton Changes Her Hairstyle, Prince Harry Gives Back & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of January 20, 2022.
- In honor of MLK Day, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave back by offering free meals to project volunteers and staff at The King Center in Atlanta.
- Prince Harry’s rep issued a rare statement explaining why the royal can’t return to the U.K. The message read, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex personally fund a private security team for their family, yet that security cannot replicate the necessary police protection needed while in the U.K. In the absence of such protection, Prince Harry and his family are unable to return to his home.”
- On February 3, the Duke of Sussex will attend his first major event of 2022. Mental health and employee coaching startup BetterUp announced that the royal, who currently serves as Chief Impact Officer, will participate in their virtual event, “Inner Work Day.”
- Markle’s former Suits co-star, Patrick J. Adams, called out online trolls, who have been harassing him and the Duchess of Sussex. He wrote, “Hello to the people and many bots debating all things Markle and including me in the conversation. I just want you to know a couple of things. 1. I don’t read any of it. 2. Life is short. 3. There has to got to be better things for you to be doing. Even you, bots. #botbetter.”
- Princess Eugenie announced that she’s teaming up with Julia de Boinville to develop a podcast for the charity they co-founded, The Anti-Slavery Collective. The joint statement read, “We were so excited to begin recording our long-awaited podcast this year, due to be released in 2022 so stay tuned!”
- Princess Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, shared a rare glimpse of Althorp House on his personal Instagram account. One of the photos featured an old portrait of Spencer as a child, and he bears a striking resemblance to young Prince William.
- Buckingham Palace confirmed that the queen’s Platinum Party will take place at the royal residence on Saturday, June 4 (AKA Lilibet’s birthday).
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
More Stories You'll Love
Royal News Roundup: Kate Middleton’s Bold Fashion Statement, Prince William’s Surprising Confession & More
Queen Camilla, Kate Middleton and Princess Beatrice Each Rock Statement Boots Just Days Apart
Why Harry & Meghan Are Ready to Move on from the Monarchy, According to Omid Scobie
Omid Scobie Confirms: Prince Harry & King Charles Are Talking on the Phone Again
The 50 Best Christmas Movies, Ranked
Apparently Prince William Is a Total Swiftie and Now We Have Proof