The next time you start to feel stressed or overwhelmed by adulting, take a deep breath and consider indulging in one (or all) of the items on this list. That annoying project can wait until after your candlelit bath, thank you very much.
20 Ways to Practice Self-Care Right Now
1. Buy yourself fresh flowers just because it’s Tuesday and your desk looked sad and sparse.
2. Watch your favorite movie with a giant bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine nearby.
3. …Better yet, make it a sad one and have a long, hard, cleansing cry, just because.
4. Light some candles and draw a bath. (Don’t be stingy with those fancy soaps and oils, either.)
5. Or take a leisurely shower that involves hair masks, full-body exfoliation and shaving your legs...only if you want to.
6. Then brush your hair slowly and deliberately (like you’re Rapunzel and you’re treating yourself to a scalp massage).
7. Instead of focusing on the things you need to do, write down a list of your accomplishments. Because you’re awesome, dammit.
8. Treat yourself to a massage…and hey, what the heck, why not add on a facial, too?
9. Cancel unnecessary plans. Like drinks with that friend-of-a-friend you’re not sure you even like (or remember) in the first place.
11. …And then hang out with your pet (or stuffed animal friend) all day.
12. While you’re at it, take a break from social media. You won’t miss much—maybe another photo of your friend’s kid or the meal your boss ate on vacation.
13. … And then watch all of the Carpool Karaokes instead. (Marry us, James Corden.)
14. Wrap yourself up in a blanket and read to your heart’s content. (Maybe pause briefly to let the delivery guy in.)
15. On that note, eat something that reminds you of your childhood…or being a college freshman. (The breadier and cheesier the better. It’s only one meal, y’all. There’s no need to feel guilty.)
16. Take a long walk in your neighborhood. No time constraints or errands involved.
17. …Or venture to a nearby trail and just enjoy the beautiful nature around you.
18. Listen to the songs that make you happiest. (Full disclosure: That might mean the Backstreet Boys for some of us.)
19. Lose yourself in a coloring book. (Psst, they make them for adults now.)
20. Dance or jump around your house with reckless abandon (with those aforementioned happy jams, natch.) Repeat at least once a day. Hey, it’s for your health.