Royal News Roundup: Prince William Turns 40, Queen Elizabeth Gets a Haircut & More
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of June 23, 2022.
- Today, Kate Middleton and Prince William visited the Fitzwilliam Museum to witness the unveiling of their first joint portrait. The duchess looked absolutely stunning in an emerald-green gown designed by The Vampire’s Wife, while the duke donned a black suit with a navy blue tie and a white button-down shirt.
- Queen Elizabeth posted a social media tribute in honor of Prince William’s 40th birthday. The slideshow featured numerous photos, including a snap from the monarch's Platinum Jubilee.
- Prince Charles also shared an Instagram slideshow of himself and his son throughout the decades. This included a black-and-white snapshot that shows a much younger Charles holding a baby William in his arms.
- Prince William posted an Instagram Story in response to the countless birthday wishes, writing, “Thank you for all the happy birthday messages today!”
- To celebrate his birthday, the Duke of Cambridge took to the streets to help sell numerous copies of The Big Issue magazine. The publication held a special meaning to Princess Diana because it aids those who are trying to overcome homelessness.
.@MomsDemand volunteers and staff have been working around the clock for weeks, so it was moving to receive such a supportive note - and snacks! - from the Duchess of Sussex today. ?????? pic.twitter.com/obksyn8Jmu? Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) June 22, 2022
- Meghan Markle sent a heartfelt letter and care package to Moms Demand Action, a movement advocating for safer gun laws. According to Hello! magazine, the royal supported the volunteers by giving them “donuts, bagels, coffee and cookies.”
- Ahead of her 75th birthday, Camilla Parker Bowles spoke with British Vogue about a variety of different topics, from her go-to closet pieces to her philanthropic endeavors.
- Markle supported her husband, Prince Harry, during a polo match at the Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club. The duchess wore a two-tone Canadian tuxedo, featuring a button-down shirt and high-rise shorts.
- Queen Elizabeth met with the Archbishop of Canterbury at Windsor Castle and received the Canterbury Cross award. It didn’t take long for us to realize that Her Majesty was sporting a noticeably shorter hairdo.
- Middleton led her first roundtable with U.K. politicians as she advocated for the importance of early childhood development. The royal wore a pink power suit designed by Alexander McQueen, which she paired with a white shirt and pink stiletto heels.
- Prince William paid a visit to the England women’s football team at St. George’s Park. While speaking with the athletes, he revealed that his daughter, Princess Charlotte, has some pretty killer football skills.
- In honor of Father’s Day, Prince William posted a never-before-seen photo of himself posing with his three kids: Prince George (8), Princess Charlotte (7) and Prince Louis (4).
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made a surprise appearance at the 2022 Royal Ascot. They were escorted across the lawn in a horse-drawn carriage before arriving at the Royal Box.
- The forward-facing carriage seats are usually occupied by noteworthy royals—like Prince William and Middleton—because they 1. offer the best view of the crowds and 2. allow for photographers to easily capture photos.
- Middleton’s Royal Ascot outfit was a subtle tribute to her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana. The duchess donned a black-and-white polka dot dress that resembled a similar frock Diana wore in 1988.
- Middleton and Prince William attended an unveiling of the National Windrush Monument at Waterloo Station in London. During the outing, Middleton used her go-to parenting move when she bent down to eye-level while talking to a small child.