Royal News Roundup: Meghan & Harry’s Letter to Fans, Kate Middleton’s Rare Selfie Video & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of February 4, 2021.
- Many fans are convinced that Netflix's The Crown truly captures Princess Diana and Prince Charles's troubled romance. However, former royal chef Darren McGrady begs to differ. While speaking with Insider, McGrady, who worked for Diana at Kensington Palace for four years, revealed that the series did a poor job of portraying the royal couple's relationship when, in reality, they had their fair share of happy moments together.
- Caroline Yates, CEO of Meghan Markle’s favorite charity, Mahew, recently revealed that the 39-year-old ex-royal has been turning to her rescue dogs, Pula and Guy, for moral support as well as checking in with the animal charity as often as she can. “Whenever we talk to the duchess about the charity, she always references how important her dogs are and what a support they are, particularly during everything that's happened this year, with COVID, and with the personal trials and tribulations she went through this year.”
- During a virtual chat with fellow parents this week, Kate Middleton revealed what it's been like to educate her kids, Prince George (7) and Princess Charlotte (5), from home, and based on her responses, it hasn't been all smooth-sailing. When she was prompted to rate her math skills on a scale of one to ten, Middleton emphasized that it's one of her absolute worst subjects and wrote, “negative five.” She added, “I'm obviously right at the bottom!”
- This week, Meghan Markle and her team spoke out about a recent story that claimed she had her name removed from Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor's birth certificate, leaving solely her title, “The Duchess of Sussex.” “The change of name on public documents in 2019 was dictated by The Palace, as confirmed by documents from senior Palace officials,” a spokesperson revealed in a statement posted on Twitter. “This was not requested by Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex nor by The Duke of Sussex.”
- Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden recently poked fun at each other ahead of the World Men’s Handball Championship final. The pair shared the same photo on their official Instagram accounts, featuring a screenshot of their timely phone call. On one side, Prince Frederik is standing in front of the TV. The other pic features Princess Victoria and her husband, Prince Daniel, posing alongside their two children—Princess Estelle (8) and Prince Oscar (4).
- In honor of Children's Mental Health Week, an event held by her patronage, Place2Be, Kate Middleton posted a rare selfie video on the official Kensington Royal account on Monday. In the footage, the duchess encourages followers to express themselves through “creative ways.” It also appears the mother of three filmed the clip while enjoying some time outside of her family’s country home in Norfolk. And it looks like the Cambridge clan has a ton of land to enjoy.
- This week, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are thanking their fans and followers for their “thoughtful messages” sent during the holidays. On Tuesday, the Twitter account, Gert's Royal Replies Twitter, revealed a thank you card sent out by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex featuring a throwback photograph of the 38-year-old duchess and 35-year-old duke. “Thank you for your thoughtful message,” a note that came alongside the image read.
- Prince William recently shared a rare personal Instagram message about racial abuse. “Racist abuse—whether on the pitch, in the stands, or on social media—is despicable and it must stop now,” he wrote in the note on IG. He even signed the post with a “W.”
Emma Corrin was nominated for a Golden Globe yesterday (and we loved her reaction). On Wednesday, Corrin shared a candid video of the exciting news on Instagram. In an unfiltered IG Story, we saw the moment her name was announced for Best Actress in a TV Drama Series. Her reaction? Leaping off the couch and jumping around the room.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royals story by subscribing here.