Royal News Roundup: New Christening Portraits, Harry's Heartfelt Statement & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of August 19, 2021.
- To coincide with the International Day of Youth, Prince William has written a very special foreword for The Diana Award’s latest project, Future Forward. William wrote, “The lives of thousands of young people have been impacted by the global pandemic with education interrupted, work opportunities disrupted and social connections strained.” Read the full statement here.
- Following Prince Charles’s recent interview with The Times—during which he shared “special memories” of his friendship with the actress—Barbara Streisand opened up about meeting the Princes of Wales almost 50 years ago. Not long after the meet-cute, the A Star Is Born actress was delivered a bouquet of flowers to her hotel room during a trip to London.
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles have recently been very generous with pictures of their home, Clarence House. This week, on the Clarence House Instagram account, they posted an image of the dining room and highlighted a portrait of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother along the way. They shared a photo of the portrait to their Instagram Story.
- The Princess Royal (AKA Anne) celebrated her 71st birthday this week, which was marked with a gorgeous shot on the official royal family Instagram account. They posted a close-up of the princess wearing a white top and one of her many signature hats. In the caption they said, “Wishing HRH The Princess Royal a happy birthday today!”
- We learned on Monday that Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton have been keeping in touch and working on their relationship lately. In fact, the idea of collaborating on a new Netflix business venture has also come up in conversation. The topic? Middleton and her philanthropy work.
- Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip of Sweden celebrated a major family moment this weekend. The couple christened their third child, Julian, on Saturday at the Royal Chapel of Drottningholm Palace. Much to our delight, the couple shared official portraits on the family’s Instagram account.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are speaking out about the current state of our world. On Tuesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex released a candid statement addressing Afghanistan, the recent earthquake in Haiti and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Shared on their Archewell Foundation website, the letter revealed that they’re both “speechless” and “heartbroken.”
- Sarah Ferguson recently appeared on the Tea with Twiggy podcast, where she discussed her debut romance novel, Her Heart For a Compass. And after chatting about the book, she revealed that her former mother-in-law has always been her "greatest mentor." The duchess also confirmed that it was the queen who had the biggest impact on her life.
- Her Majesty is currently summering at Balmoral Castle (as she does every year). However, a staff member at the Scottish residence has been sent home after testing positive for COVID-19 over the weekend. While we weren’t sure if this meant that the 95-year-old monarch would have to cut her vacation short, it appears she is “carrying on” as usual.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royals story by subscribing here.