Royal News Roundup: Prince William’s Parenting Struggles, Behind the Scenes of Meghan & Harry’s Wedding & James Middleton’s New Brand
HERE, ALL THE ROYAL NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK OF MAY 21, 2020.
- To mark the beginning of Mental Health Awareness Week in the U.K., the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took over the country’s radio stations Monday morning to remind citizens that they are not alone during the current pandemic. Not to mention, they enlisted the help of pop star Dua Lipa, actor David Tennant, boxer Anthony Joshua and English soccer star Harry Kane for the special broadcast.
- Sarah Ferguson celebrated International Family Day (Monday) with a rare photo of her nuclear fam: Princess Eugenie, Princess Beatrice and ex-husband Prince Andrew, all included. She captioned the pic: “On International Family Day..I am so proud of our united loving family.”
- Prince William is hitting the small screen next week. The trailer for his new new BBC program called Football, Prince William and Our Mental Health aired on Monday. The program will focus on the negative stigma men often face when it comes to mental health.
- In honor of the Royal Horticultural Society's Chelsea Flower Show (which will now be taking place completely virtually for the first time ever), Queen Elizabeth’s social media team shared a series of throwback photos of Her Majesty at the show from the 1950s. They also revealed her favorite flower (spoiler alert: it's the Lily-of-the-Valley).
- Speaking of social media, earlier this week, Prince William and Kate Middleton casually changed their display names on Instagram and Twitter. While the pages were originally titled “Kensington Palace,” they now feature their official names: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.”
- The Duchess of Cambridge’s younger brother, James, launched a dog food company called Ella & Co and announced the news in a radio ad. The animal lover introduced the new concept of providing freeze-dried raw food with healthy, natural ingredients for every pooch.
- Pastry chef, Claire Ptak, took a trip down memory lane in honor of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s second wedding anniversary. On Monday, the British baker shared a throwback photo of herself standing alongside her creamy creation writing, “A very Happy 2nd Anniversary to Harry and Meghan. @sussexroyal My dream job got even better that day.” Did we mention we’ve been craving cake ever since?
- While we’re on the topic of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Markle’s pal Katharine McPhee recently did a virtual interview with Access, where she spilled the deets on her husband David Foster’s relationship with Harry. “They're like father and son.”
- This week, Camilla Parker Bowles added President of Bees for Development to her list of many titles (yes, you read that correctly). In honor of World Bee Day, the Duchess of Cornwall announced her new role and shared a sweet video message emphasizing the importance of bees and the organizations that protect them.
- On Wednesday, the official royal social media account posted a throwback photo of Kate Middleton hard at work in the ‘Back to Nature’ garden during 2019’s Chelsea Flower Show. Why, yes, those are sneakers, jeans and a messy bun. We haven’t seen the duchess rock this look since her college days.
- Mealtime with children is no easy feat, even in Prince William and Kate Middleton’s household. The Duke of Cambridge recently sat down for a virtual chat with the PEEK Project and revealed that getting his kids, Prince George (6), Princess Charlotte (5) and Prince Louis (2), to sit down for dinner all depends on what's on the menu. The struggle is real, your highness.