Charred Summer Squash with Whipped Feta
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
It’s no secret that we love feta, whether it’s crumbled on a salad, baked in a skillet or wrapped in phyllo and drizzled with honey. So yes, we’re already smitten with this summery recipe for charred summer squash with whipped feta from The Modern Proper: Simple Dinners for Every Day by Holly Erickson and Natalie Mortimer.
“You’d be hard-pressed to find something that doesn’t go well with this tangy, fresh feta dip,” they write. “Whipped together with cream cheese and a handful of herbs, it’s nothing short of divine—we could eat it with a peeled carrot and be happy campers. However, if you really want to achieve a state of culinary rapture, sauté some tender summer squash and chickpeas in smoky paprika and pair the golden mixture with this cloudlike fluff of feta. Rip off pieces of warm naan and dredge at will.”
Excerpted from The Modern Proper: Simple Dinners for Every Day. Copyright © 2022 by Holly Erickson and Natalie Mortimer. Photography Copyright © 2022 by Eva Kolenko. Reproduced by permission of Simon Element, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
5 ounces feta cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
¾ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Minced fresh mint leaves, for serving (optional)
Warmed naan or flatbread, for serving
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the feta, cream cheese, chives, rosemary, thyme and black pepper. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Spread the whipped feta onto a serving platter.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, paprika, granulated garlic, salt and cayenne. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini with half of the spiced oil and toss to coat.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches as needed, add the zucchini in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, until brown and crispy on the edges, about 4 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side, about 4 minutes more. Carefully transfer the zucchini to the serving platter, arranging it on top of the feta.
4. Add the chickpeas and the remaining spiced oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the chickpeas are evenly coated and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Scatter over the platter with the feta and zucchini.
5. Drizzle the platter with more olive oil and with mint, if desired. Serve with warmed naan alongside.