Now that we’re well into March (and spring cleaning, for that matter), the seasonal itch to give the backyard a makeover seems to be well underway. That said, while string lights and pool floats are great to have on hand for your next soiree, there’s one thing that’ll never disappoint guests when they come over for the 4th: comfortable patio furniture. From sofas and sectionals to dining chairs, hammocks and benches, here are 15 of the most comfortable patio furniture pieces money can buy (plus a quick guide on what to look for).
Here’s The Most Comfortable Patio Furniture of 2023, According to Reviewers
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
How To Look For Comfortable Patio Furniture
Naturally, before you do anything else, you want to consider the materials. For cushions, be sure to keep an eye out for words like “polyethylene foam” and “extra deep.” This means the seating is designed to be thick, supportive and sag-resistant.
Then, for fabrics, you need to account for softness and durability. Since we’re dealing with outdoor furniture, you want to prioritize anything with Sunbrella, which is a performance fabric that was designed to withstand the elements in every type of climate. If Sunbrella isn’t an option, make sure you’re looking for “performance” or “all-weather” fabrics in the description that are water-, UV- and fade-resistant.
Finally, for the frame, make sure you’re looking for something sturdy that can prevent cushions from sagging and sliding. The materials can vary from powder-coated aluminum to eucalyptus—so long as the brand mentions that it was manufactured with durability and seasonal weather in mind.
The Most Comfortable Patio Furniture At A Glance
- Best Conversation Set: Outer Loveseat with Armless Chairs
- Best Set Under $550: Dovecove Lovettsville Seating Group
- Best Luxury Sofa: Serena and Lily Sundial Sectional
- Best Sectional: Castlery Sierra Sectional
- Best Loveseat: Highland Dunes Ducan Sofa
- Best Armchairs: Project 62 Set of 2 Risley Chairs
- Best Chaise Lounger: Joss & Main Langley Daybed
- Best Canopy Bed: Pottery Barn Malibu Daybed
- Best Hammock: Vivere Double Cotton Hammock
- Best Ottoman: Threshold Natural Woven Pouf
- Best Egg Chair: Threshold x Studio McGee Egg Chair
- Best Folding Chairs: Union Rustic Set of 2 Acacia Chairs
- Best Bench: AllModern Louise Loveseat
- Best Dining Chairs: Project62 Set of 2 Apex Club Chairs
- Best Bar Stools: Birch Lane Set of 2 Byron Bar Stools
Best Conversation Set
1. Outer Loveseat with Armless Chairs
- Why We Love It: multi-layer memory foam cushions (similar to those found in mattresses), customizable configuration, removable and machine-washable covers, each seat can hold up to 400 pounds, rust-proof steel frame
- What’s Included: 2 corner chairs, 2 armless chairs, cushions
First up: A modular set—which you can arrange in multiple configurations—that takes ‘sink-in’ to a whole new level. The cushions are made from multi-layer memory foam cushions typically found in premium mattresses (per the brand) and they come with all-weather, OuterShell covers that protect against everyday dirt, debris, and morning dew (removable and machine-washable). Plus, each chair can support up to 400 pounds and the wicker frame is powder-coated for enhanced weather- and rust-resistance. (And the legs are made from polished stainless steel that will “never rust,” according to the brand.)
“The comfort and quality of the pieces are far superior to anything else I looked at. The cushions are thick, supportive and retain their shape. I sit in the same spot on the couch almost daily but you can’t tell by the cushions. And the built-in covers are a game-changer! We live in a very dusty area and the covers keep the cushions clean,” one reviewer writes. Plus, many people rave over its lasting durability—even with daily use: “We have used it for two seasons now, and it's so comfortable and it looks like new! It's more comfortable than the furniture in my house. We use it every day when the weather permits.”
Best Set Under $550
2. Dovecove Lovettsville Seating Group
- Why We Love It: cushions are deep, supportive and easy to clean, can seat 4 adults comfortably, slated design prevents from water pooling, fits with any existing decor style, eucalyptus frame won’t rot or snap over time
- What’s Included: 1 loveseat, 2 chairs, 1 table
Simple, affordable and equipped with a cloud-like feel, this four-piece seating set should be at the top of your list for luxury on a budget. Not only does it feature deep, supportive cushions that are filled to the brim with foam, but the removable/washable polyester covers make cleaning a breeze. Plus, aside from the fact that it features a slated design (to prevent water from pooling), the set has a minimalist, transitional style that’ll fit seamlessly with your existing decor. And of course, it’s made from an ultra-sturdy eucalyptus frame that won’t rot or snap over time.
One reviewer writes, “The quality of the wood is great, not cheap-feeling (or looking)... the chairs and sofa are also a [great] size; they can fit a bigger person, as my husband is a 6-foot-1, big-framed man, and he has plenty of room. He says it’s more comfortable than our sofa in the living room!” Plus, another person adds: “People have commented on how expensive it looks, so the looks of it match its equally tasteful, pretty and comfortable feels.”
Best Luxury Sofa
3. Serena and Lily Sundial Sectional
- Why We Love It: overstuffed cushions offer a cloud-like feel, available in 64 patterned and solid options, construction-grade birch wood frame, removable slipcover is easy to clean with a sponge and mild detergent
- What’s Included: 1 sofa with slipcover
If you’re looking to splurge this summer, we suggest you stop what you’re doing and hit checkout on this sofa before it goes out of stock. First and foremost: Its overstuffed cushions feel like a dream, where you can customize the look with 64 (!) all-weather fabrics—with both patterned/solid options—which are designed to be water-repellent, mildew-resistant and fade-proof under every weather condition. Beyond that, however, the sectional features a sustainable, outdoor-grade birch wood frame and a durable mortise-and-tenon construction with a waterproof, stainless steel base. And yes—the cushions are removable and easily cleanable where you can simply remove the slipcover and wipe with a sponge using mild detergent diluted in water (and the dust, debris and dirt should wash away like magic).
4. Castlery Sierra Sectional
- Why We Love It: extra-deep cushions with a 76-inch depth, customizable dimensions, performance fabric cushions are washable and durable, aluminum and rattan frame features a webbed suspension that ensures stability and support
- What’s Included: 1 sectional
ICYMI, Castlery is quickly climbing the list of the most comfortable seating brands on the market—and its outdoor collection is no exception. The main draw to this sectional—aside from its customizable four-, five- or six-seater design—is its extra-deep cushions, which clock in at 76 inches of seatable depth. Their PU foam filling and oat-beige performance fabric is also a showstopper, where they’re designed to hold up against the elements over time (and are easily removable/washable). The frame is also designed with durability in mind, where its aluminum construction and rattan base feature a webbed suspension that ensures stability and support.
“We are so happy with this sofa,” writes one reviewer. “Compared with other options for weeks but this one seemed to be the best value for something that actually looks nice. The couch looks and feels expensive. Cushions are firm but very comfortable and [it] was awesome to not have to assemble anything.”
5. Highland Dunes Ducan Sofa
- Why We Love It: 6 soft and supportive cushions that won’t sag over time, removable and washable covers, slatted eucalyptus frame prevents water from piling up, designed with durability in mind
- What’s Included: 1 loveseat
Sure, there are a slew of outdoor loveseats on the market. But the most comfortable option we’ve found (that also happens to be 61 percent off)? This number from Wayfair. What makes it so special is its six soft yet supportive foam cushions, which boast smooth curves and shapely angles to prevent sagging. The cushions also include all-weather performance fabric covers and the slatted frame prevents from water piling up underneath. You also have its solid eucalyptus wood frame, which is designed to prevent rotting or fading over time. And to top it all of, the loveseat can hold up to 750 pounds at a time and it comes with all of the tools you need for easy assembly (or the option of expert assembly for an extra $105).
“My 6-foot husband asked for a patio sofa that he could stretch out on,” starts one reviewer. “This one is a great fit and the extra thick bottom cushions are very comfortable. Just beware! The sofa causes napping and neglect of yard work duties.” Plus, many people back the sofa’s all-weather design: “I live in California where it never rains in the summer but of course, it rained the first week after I set up the couch. The couch, though, was completely fine after the rain stopped! No issues at all.”
6. Project 62 Set of 2 Risley Chairs
- Why We Love It: cushions are 5.5-inches thick and designed to be supportive yet soft, oversized fit, removable and washable cushions, sturdy aluminum frame with rope texture
- What’s Included: 2 armchairs
Designed with a focus on comfort, this set of two chairs have curved backs and arms along with deep cushioned seats that basically beg you to open a bottle of rosé at happy hour. Aside from its 5.5-inch-thick foam, the cushions are also filled with a polyester fiber that ensures it’ll spring back up when it’s not in use. Plus, the chairs feature a sturdy aluminum frame with a natural rope texture—and each one can hold up to 250 pounds at a time.
“They [have a] gorgeous design…The bottom cushions are pretty firm and the back cushions are soft. The seat depth is very deep and is a nice chair to curl up in. The white fabric does show dirt more easily but it seems to brush off [very easily]...I plan to try washing the cushion covers at the end of the season since they are removable,” one person writes. Another reviewer applauds its unique design and size: “These chairs [are] so unique and appear to be way more expensive than they are!! The rope is so neat [and the cushions] are also beyond comfortable. My 6-foot-3 husband fits comfortably and was shocked.”
Best Chaise Lounger
7. Joss & Main Langley Daybed
- Why We Love It: thick cushions that are filled with foam and polyester fiber, multiple reclining positions with an option to lay flat, water-, fade- and mildew-resistant, removable/washable design, all-weather aluminum frame is rust-resistant
- What’s Included: 1 chaise lounge
Part daybed, part chaise lounger, this guy has a 4.8-star rating for a few reasons. Its cushions are packed with a foam and polyester fiber blend, which were designed to be water-, fade- and mildew-resistant. Yet, on top of its multiple reclining positions (which includes a flat option, allowing it to double as a daybed), what makes this chair special is its oversized, 74.8-inch length, which can seat two or more people at a time. And of course, you have its ultra-trendy rattan base with an aluminum frame that’s touted to be all-weather and rust-resistant by the brand.
“The kids want me to order six more,” writes one reviewer—and another explains: “Multiple positions for relaxing conversations or for poolside naps. You can also use as a bench for multiple people to sit in the flat position. Very solid piece of furniture. The base is woven cord not wicker…the cushions and fabric are durable and easy to clean—this item is PERFECTION…very modern and luxe, I am going to order two more.”
Best Canopy Bed
8. Pottery Barn Malibu Daybed
- Why We Love It: adjustable shade on the sides/top of the canopy, daybed has two adjustable backrests, thick, foam-filled and removable/washable Sunbrella cushions, multiple color and pattern options, white glove delivery available
- What’s Included: 1 daybed with a canopy
Made from a combination of warm teak and cool aluminum, this daybed includes a canopy with adjustable shades for a totally private space that’s just as cozy as it looks. Here’s the breakdown: First, you have two adjustable backrests on its oversized base—which is filled with thick, foam-filled cushions—and the choice between all-weather and Sunbrella canvas performance fabrics (which are available in a slew of colors and patterns). Then, you have the frame’s solid teak wood and aluminum construction, mortise-and-tenon joinery, and stainless steel hardware—so you know the daybed is built to last. But of course, the real draw is its adjustable shades on top and sides of the canopy, which offer 360 degrees of UV protection.
That said, per the brand, you want to wipe it down with a soft, dry cloth and avoid using harsh cleaners or abrasives when cleaning. Plus, it also offers a white glove delivery option, which includes bringing the furniture to you, unpacking it and assembling it by the Pottery Barn team.
9. Vivere Double Cotton Hammock
- Why We Love It: soft fabric, available in multiple colors (including Sunbrella options), comfortably fits two adults, stand included
- What’s Included: 1 hammock, 1 stand
With a 4.8 out of 5-star rating and more than 36,000 reviews, we had to see what all the hype was about with this hammock. First and foremost: The actual hammock is big enough for two people, and the 9-foot steel frame supports up to 450 pounds (but that doesn’t mean you have to share). Plus, there are more than 30 designs and colorways, and you can choose the level of durability you want with options in polyester, cotton, mesh or durable Sunbrella fabric. “It hasn’t faded, and the fabric isn’t coarse… I’m 5-foot-5 and 175 pounds and can stretch out perfectly. No sagging. My husband is 6-foot-2 and 230 and says it’s comfortable for him too…Good for naps and won’t hurt your back,” one person writes.
Yet, what reviewers love most about this guy is that comes with everything you need to start swinging immediately after receiving the package, no tools required: “Easy to set up. Easy to take down. Easy to set up again. Not at all complicated to disassemble and store in the supplied bag. Only takes a minute to remove the hammock from the assembled frame, and even less to set it up again,” writes one reviewer. It’s also super easy to break down and takes up minimal space if you want to stow it away during the colder months of the year.
10. Threshold Natural Woven Pouf
- Why We Love It: supportive yet sinkable feel, won’t sag over time, weather-, fade- and water-resistant woven texture, carrying strap makes it easy to move around
- What’s Included: 1 ottoman
This budget-friendly pouf from Threshold will not only make a charming, rustic accent in your outdoor space, but it’s just as comfy as it looks. Its unfinished woven texture is soft (not scratchy) while the polystyrene filling makes it supportive and sinkable—without sagging over time. Plus, in terms of durability, it’s made with a fade- and water-resistant construction, so it can withstand the elements—and it even has a portable carrying strap, making it easy to move around.
One person writes: “I got [this ottoman] to go in our backyard seating area, but it's too cold right now outside to enjoy it, so I have it in my living room next to the coffee table. The style is really nice and it's surprisingly supportive. My husband sat on it expecting to sink, but it is firm enough to hold him up.” Its multifunctional design is also a win with reviewers: “I have used it as a seat, [and] I mainly use it as a footrest... I use it all the time and it's very comfortable. It's very light and easy to move and [holds] up well over time.”
Best Egg Chair
11. Threshold Egg Chair Designed with Studio McGee
- Why We Love It: Oversized design can fit two people, all-weather wicker and fabric materials, cushions are supportive and stay put
- What’s Included: 1 chair
Now for a decorative chair that feels as good as it looks. Its egg shape has a 50-inch width to give you plenty of space to stretch out and enjoy a book—and aside from its oversized fit, it features an all-weather, wicker cage construction with DuraSeason Fabric cushions, which repels water, resists fading and is easy to clean.
As for comfort, one reviewer writes: “[This chair is] bigger than it looks online, it comfortably fits two average-sized adults or four kids. Think of it as an outdoor loveseat. The cushion is soft, comfortable and stays put! Love it!” That said, another reviewer says, “The cushion is not paper thin, but it’s not very plush either, so you may need to add an extra cushion underneath the seat if you don’t want to feel the chair frame under your sit bones.” Good to know.
Best Folding Chairs
12. Union Rustic Set of 2 Acacia Folding Chairs
- Why We Love It: supportive and springy feel, nylon straps and acacia wood frame are water- and weather-resistant, easy to store, good for balconies and compact spaces
- What’s Included: 2 folding chairs
We have to admit: At first glance, the word “comfortable” wasn’t top of mind with these folding chairs. But after seeing its 4.8-star rating with a slew of positive reviews, our minds have been changed. The set was designed with livability and portability in mind, where it features everything from woven nylon straps that are springy yet supportive to a sturdy acacia wood frame that can be folded and stored in seconds. The chairs are also finished with weather- and water-, resistant coatings on the straps and frame, which ensure the set will last season after season.
That said, it also gets bonus points for its easy-to-store design: “The most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat in. Have back injuries and this chair is my favorite support chair. Stylish and perfect for compact spaces. Best of all, they fold up for storage,” one person writes. And another reviewer says, “I like to lay out in the sun on my balcony, so I wanted something that could be folded and moved to make room for that, and these are amazing. They're sleek and classy while still being super functional, and they're very comfortable as well!”
13. AllModern Louise Loveseat
- Why We Love It: cushions are overstuffed with foam, bright white cover fabric is stain- and spill-resistant, machine washable, low profile teak wood frame
- What’s Included: 1 bench
Whether you need an extra-long seating option for your conversation set or a cushy addition to your outdoor dining table, this bench is just the ticket. It features bright white cushions and a teak wood frame (which many reviewers have compared to a similar option at CB2)—and the pillows are stuffed with a foam filling that gives its low-profile base a cushy lift. Plus, while the polyester cushions are stain- and spill-resistant, they’re also removable and machine washable (so you can rest assured that they’ll stay just as white as the day you got ‘em).
“This patio loveseat was the ideal fit for my small balcony. Now I can really relax and read a book and there is plenty of room for my puppy. It’s comfortable and looks great! Worth every penny and easy to assemble,” one person says. It’s also worth mentioning one mother’s review of its durability: “[This is] a much cheaper version of a [bench] I’ve been ogling at CB2 for some time…my family has been using the set almost every day for the last couple weeks, and [it’s very] comfortable. My 4-year-old loves to walk and occasionally jump on these—and despite that, it hasn’t caused any breaks [in the frame]. My son also spilled ketchup and suntan lotion on the covers, which were easy to clean.”
Best Dining Chairs
14. Project 62 Set of 2 Apex Club Chairs
- Why We Love It: contemporary yet cozy U-shaped design, cushions are eco-friendly and overstuffed with polyester filling, removable/washable covers are fade- and UV-resistant, metal frame is rust-resistant
- What’s Included: 2 dining chairs
Yet another Target patio set that’s getting rave reviews? This one Project 62. It features two woven club chairs that are set atop a metal frame and its wide, U-shaped bottom makes it cozy yet contemporary. Each chair comes with two cushions—both of which are filled with recycled polyester fill—and the removable/washable covers were designed to withstand the elements while being fade- and UV-resistant. Not to mention that the metal frame is also rust-resistant and manufactured with long-term durability in mind.
One reviewer says, “The quality [of this set] is impeccable. It is incredibly sturdy—withstanding kids bouncing around and climbing on it—and super comfortable so sit in. The cushions are soft [and] the fabric is appropriately thick.” Not to mention its design: “The second we took [these chairs] out of the box, everyone fell in love with [them]. Each piece is beautifully designed and you can see that there were tons of attention to detail. They are incredibly comfortable and spacious (and this is coming from a 6foot-4 guy), sturdy and resistant,” another review adds.
Best Bar Stools
15. Birch Lane Set of 2 Byron Bar Stools
- Why We Love It: Deep foam-filled cushions, footrest bar, rust-resistant aluminum frame, removable/washable cushions, boho design
- What’s Included: 2 barstools
It’s hard to find outdoor barstools that aren’t, well, plastic—but this set of two combines comfort and boho style in a way that won’t mess up the rest of your decor. It features a rattan seat atop an aluminum frame—both of which are weather- and UV-resistant—and the two foam cushions feature a deep 19.7-inch depth that really allows you to sit back and relax. Plus, the footrest at the bottom prevents your feet from dangling and it blends seamlessly into the bottom of the frame (which also happens to be rust-resistant).
“These barstools are fairly easy to put together and are very sturdy. They are nice looking and comfortable as well. The material [is also] durable and withstands the summer heat in Arizona,” one person says. Plus, they’re super easy to assemble: “The assembly was easy enough, took a good 30 minutes for both. The instructions were easy to read and everything is labeled.”
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.