14 Awesome Things to Do in Dallas This Winter
Winter is a mysterious time in Dallas. Will it be freezing? Will it be warm enough for shorts? Perhaps both…in the same week. Either way, consider this your checklist for an A+ winter 2018.
1. Buy your annual new pair of comfy pajamas. We’re loving these from U.K.-based Desmond & Dempsey, now available at Neiman Marcus. They’re super-comfortable but in, like, a totally dignified, British way.
3. Book your carriage ride through Highland Park to check out the Christmas lights. Whether you’re riding with a new S.O. or a gaggle of kids, you can’t deny the magic of taking a spin through one of the most magical neighborhoods in Dallas.
4. Add your name to the list to get your brows done by Nicole Blankenship at The Brow Project. She has a long waiting list (bummer), but that just proves she’s legit at her craft. (Ask her about shading, which is totally the new microblading.)
5. Find a time to have holiday tea with your girlfriends at the Adolphus Hotel’s recently renovated French Room. Can’t find a day that works for everyone before December comes and goes? Regular afternoon tea service resumes on January 5.
6. Barry’s Bootcamp recently opened in West Village, and if you’ve ever tried the cult-fave workout, you need no additional explanation. But just in case, it also happens to be a great time to get a jump on that New Year’s resolution.
7. Treat yourself to a fancy dinner at Bullion, Michelin-starred chef Bruno Davaillon’s gorgeous new downtown restaurant that’s already creating major buzz. Think escargot, foie gras, suckling pig and duck à l’orange. (It doesn’t get any more French than this, people.)
8. Attend a fun philanthropic event to support a cause that means something to you. Looking for a place to start? Look into The Birthday Party Project Turns 6 on January 27 or the Genesis Young Leaders Masquerade on February 17.
9. Test-drive the new Cherry app and enjoy a manicure and pedicure at your house. Yep, two awesome Texas entrepreneurs—Amber Venz Box (LIKEtoKNOWit) and Whitney Wolfe Herd (Bumble)—just launched their brand-new baby in Dallas and simultaneously made our holiday party prep so much more convenient.
10. On Saturday, December 16, U.S National Champions, Olympians and siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani will be skating at the Galleria. Watch them and then hit the ice yourself to show off all of your sweet tricks (or, you know, just stay upright).
11. Grab your classical-music-loving ladies and head to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra to listen to Beethoven’s Violin Concerto featuring violinist Nicola Benedetti and conducted by Donald Runnicles (January 18 through 21).
12. Buy tickets for the February 10 Little Big Town concert with special guests Kacey Musgraves and Midland at the Verizon Theatre. Because if you’ve never listened to Little Big Town live, are you even really a Texan?
14. Take a break from hydrangeas, peonies and other high-maintenance floral arrangements and buy a stunning succulent box from Urban Spikes. They can last for weeks and are sure to be the talk of your next dinner party.