The 8 Most Memorable Looks in Grammys History
With its inventive musical performances and anything-goes red carpet, we like to think of the Grammy Awards as the Oscars’ rebellious musical cousin. And what better place for celebs to try out the ensembles of their eccentric dreams than a venue so, well, creative? From Lady Gaga channeling Saturn to J.Lo’s legendary plunging Versace dress, here, eight of the most memorable looks from Grammys past.
1. When Cher Was a Beautiful Butterfly (1974)
Long before she performed in nipple pasties, the “Believe” singer walked the red carpet in an outfit we swear we saw at Coachella last year.
2. And Lil’ Kim left her pants at home (1998)
One might say the “Lady Marmalade” rapper trail-blazed the way for Lady Gaga’s many pants-less looks.
3. When J.Lo Pledged Allegiance to Double-Sided Tape (2000)
This gauzy green Versace dress will never not be shocking.
4. AND MISSY ELLIOTT WORKED IT IN A SWEAT SUIT (2003)
Elliott got her freak on and gave us all the Paris Hilton vibes in the process.
5. When Lady Gaga Looked To the Stars for Fashion Inspo (2010)
What has more rings: Saturn or Gaga’s dress?
6. And Nicki Minaj Took a Page Out of Little Red Riding Hood’s Playbook (2012)
Over the river and through the woods, to the Grammys she goes.
8. And Finally, When Rihanna Wore a Loofah (2015)
Ri-Ri’s bringing sudsy back.