Who Is Dave McCary, Emma Stone’s Husband-Slash-Fiancé?
ICYMI: Emma Stone sparked rumors that she secretly married her boyfriend of two years, Dave McCary. The couple has remained relatively private about their relationship, but during a recent video interview, the 31-year-old actress appeared to have swapped her pearl engagement ring for a gold wedding band. So who is Dave McCary? Here, five things we know about Stone’s 34-year-old fiancé (husband?!).
1. He’s in a Sketch Comedy GroupBelieve it or not, McCary got his start in a sketch comedy group. He grew up with comedian Kyle Mooney and they both attended the University of Southern California together. It was there that they met Nick Rutherford and Beck Bennett, who would become the two other founding members of their comedy troupe, Good Neighbor. The four of them started Good Neighbor in 2007 and went on to film a Comedy Central pilot, which was produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. Saturday Night Live caught wind of it and worked with Comedy Central to get the foursome out of their contract so they could come work on the iconic sketch show. The rest is history.
2. He Works on ‘Saturday Night Live’
McCary joined Saturday Night Live in season 39 as a segment director along with Mooney and Bennett (who joined as on-screen talent) and Rutherford, who became a staff writer.
3. He Directed a FilmMcCary directed the Lonely Island-produced comedy-drama Brigsby Bear in 2017. The film, which premiered at Sundance and was ultimately released by Sony Pictures Classics, stars Mooney, Mark Hamill, Greg Kinnear, Matt Walsh and more.
4. He Met Emma Stone in 2016
The two have been immensely private about their relationship (rightfully so). As a result, there aren’t a ton of details out there about their romance. We know that the duo met when Stone hosted SNL in late 2016 and starred in the sketch “Wells for Boys,” which McCary directed. They started dating several months later. Since then, they’ve made rare public appearances together, never quite flaunting their relationship—that is, until McCary and Stone shared a ring selfie snapped shortly after the proposal.
5. He Proposed in 2019Although speculation of the couple’s engagement arose in April 2019 when Stone stepped out wearing what appeared to be an engagement ring, she quickly shut the rumors down on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. It wasn’t until December 4 that McCary confirmed the couple’s engagement via Instagram (seen above).
So, are they married or not? Looks like we’ll just have to wait for answers.