In a perfect world, we spend a third of our lives sleeping. And even when we’re suffering from insomnia, we’re often lying in our beds, scrolling away through social media. That’s why it’s no exaggeration to say that your bedsheets are an item you should take great care with when purchasing—it can (quite literally) make or break a good night’s rest. So, since no two sleepers are alike, we called on our editors to see which sheet sets they’re loving—from flax linen sheets that hit each of this year’s design trends to cooling and organic options for sweaty sleepers and those with sensitive skin. But before we get into the nitty-gritty, here are some things to look out for when shopping for these bedding staples below.
Here Are our Editors' Absolute Favorite Sheet Sets—From $15 to $598
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
The Best Fabrics for Sheets
- Cotton: According to experts at Parachute, cotton is the most popular sheet fabric for a reason: It’s breathable and inherently soft—making it great for anyone with sensitive skin—and incredibly versatile with several different plant varieties and weaves to choose from. While the materials include long-staple Egyptian cotton (AKA the créme de la créme of luxury bedding), Turkish cotton (known for its ability to get softer over time) and organic cotton (planted from non-GMO seeds), it also comes in a number of styles from percale and sateen to flannel (which is thicker for warmth) and jersey (the same soft material used in many T-shirts).
- Linen: “Linen is a go-to fabric for keeping cool,” writes former editor Brianna Lapolla in a round-up of the best linen sheets. “The fabric's unmatched breathability is thanks to the fact that it's loosely woven from flax fibers (which are more hollow than cotton fibers), [and] allows air to circulate more freely.” Plus, aside from it being the world's strongest natural fiber (30 percent stronger than cotton), “it can absorb up to 20 percent of its weight in moisture [and] it's so durable, you hardly have to worry about upkeep. Linen can be tossed in the washing machine with cold water when it's time for a wash.”
- Bamboo: First and foremost, bamboo is one of the most environmentally friendly materials in the world. Wanda Thompson, creator of Householdwonders.com explains: “Since bamboo doesn’t need pesticides to grow naturally, the plant has less of a negative impact on our planet in terms of pollution, especially chemical pollution.” And in case you’re worried about sacrificing softness for sustainability, it’s just as plush as cotton (and, in some cases, softer). “Egyptian cotton can be extremely soft [at] high thread counts, but bamboo is naturally softer, stronger, more absorbent, more breathable and more eco-friendly than Egyptian cotton. On top of that, bamboo sheets are generally less expensive than Egyptian cotton,” Thompson adds. Not to mention that it absorbs five times more carbon and produces 35 percent more oxygen (which makes it a more breathable, moisture-wicking option for sweaty sleepers).
- Microfiber: The term ‘microfiber’ comes from the fact that “the fabric is made to be thinner than regular polyester fabrics,” according to experts at Sunday Citizen. “Microfiber is generally created by combining polyester with nylon to make the fabric more breathable and absorbent…[yet] is much softer [than polyester] due to its thinner fibers and silk-like texture.” However, while these synthetic fibers are more durable (e.g. less likely to wrinkle) and relatively affordable, it’s worth noting that “microfiber, just like polyester, should also not be washed or dried at high temperatures. It’s best washed with other microfibers to keep lint and fibers from getting stuck in the fabric.”
- Silk: Parachute experts also recommend investing in silk sheets “if you’re looking for a breathable, incredibly-soft fabric that works perfectly year-round,” according to a blog post. Not only does this material offer the most lightweight, buttery-soft feel on this list, but it’s a popular pillowcase fabric because “[silk] is smooth and less likely to cause ‘crush wrinkles’ on your skin or absorb moisture.” Plus, “another benefit to sleeping on a silk pillowcase is that every day will be a ‘good hair day.’” (Mainly because silk’s smooth texture prevents frizz.) That said, the experts also note: “We say ‘invest’ because [this] luxurious material comes with a similarly extravagant price tag.”
- Eucalyptus: Elle Liu, founder of Eucalypso says, “most eucalyptus sheets are made from eucalyptus lyocell,” according to Healthline.com. Eucalyptus Tencel—a branded form of lyocell that’s known for its sustainable manufacturing processes—is the most popular iteration of this material, where “it’s one of the most environmentally responsible and eco-friendly fabrics in the world,” according to Liu. “The weave creates a luxuriously soft, smooth texture, similar to silk. And sheets made with eucalyptus are naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial.”
THE BEST SHEETS OF 2023 AT A GLANCE
Scroll down for in-depth reviews of each.
- Best Overall: Brooklinen Linen Hardcore Sheet Bundle
- Best on a Budget: Mellanni Sheets
- Softest Sheets: Cariloha Classic Bamboo Sheet Set
- Most Durable Sheets: Snowe Home Linen Sheet Set
- Best Linen Sheets: The Citizenry Stonewashed Linen Bed Bundle
- Best Percale Sheets: Frette Lux Percalle Sheet Set
- Best Cotton Sheets: Casper SuperSoft Sheet Set
- Best Bamboo Sheets: Cozy Earth Bamboo Sheet Set
- Best Sateen Sheets: Parachute Sateen Sheet Set
- Best Cooling Sheets: Allswell Percale Sheet Set
- Best Organic Sheets: Coyuchi Organic Chambray Sheet Set
- Best Sheets for Sensitive Skin: Silvon Silver Infused Bed Sheets Set
- Best Silk Sheets: Mulberry Park Silk Sheets
- Best Eucalyptus Sheets: Eucalypso Classic Sheet Set
- Best Jersey Sheets: Amazon Basics Jersey Sheets
- Best Printed Sheets: Mélange Home Sheet Set
- Best Microfiber Sheets: Utopia Bedding Microfiber Sheets
- Best Flannel Sheets: Bare Home Flannel Sheet Set
- Best Colorful Sheets: LuxClub 6-Piece Sheet Set
- Best Textured Sheets: Amrapur Overseas Crochet Lace Sheet Set
Our Editors’ Favorite Sheets of 2023
After seeing this TikTok influencer’s dreamy bed setup, we knew we had to give Brooklinen Linen Hardcore Sheet Bundle a try. Not only do these European flax linen sheets feature a light and airy weave—so it’ll give the relaxed yet refined bedding look that’s trending right now—but the stonewashed finish is breathable and plush to the touch (and OEKO-TEX-certified, no less).
Take it from the 94 points it scored in a PureWow100 review, where former editor Brianna Lapolla writes, “[While] I love the slightly undone look of linen sheets, I [also wanted] the crisp, soft feel of cotton. I was slightly apprehensive about trying something different, but Brooklinen’s [linen] sheets are so soft, and not the least bit scratchy (which is what I was picturing). They give my room a bit more of a carefree, California vibe—I feel more relaxed just looking at them.” Plus, not only is the set machine washable, but you can save 25 percent by purchasing a Hardcore Bundle, which includes a linen core set, two pillowcases, and a lightweight duvet cover.
Best on a Budget
In another PureWow100 review, Executive Editor Candace Davison writes: “Sure, [TikTokers] were raving about Mellanni Fine Linens’s $35 sheet set, but just because something’s buzzy doesn’t mean it’s worth your money, my inner curmudgeon proclaimed.” However, after seeing the sheets’ 4.5 out of 5-star rating (with over 239,000 5-star reviews), Davison decided to see what all of the hype was about.
“As soon as I pulled the sheets out, I was surprised by their softness. Most sheet sets under $50 have a certain...starchiness right out of the package (unless they’re jersey); these were borderline velvety,” she admits. “Woven out of double-brushed microfiber (which is a fancy way of saying the polyester fibers that have been smoothed on both sides) the threads on the Mellanni sheets are actually so tightly woven together that stains can’t seep in easily, making them durable, too. And the fabric is pretty wrinkle-resistant—even if you’re guilty of leaving them in the dryer for a while before swapping out your bedding, as I am…”
“These sheets are so absurdly soft that I feel the need to comment on them every other night,” says Davison. And apparently, she’s not the only one raving: The bamboo-derived set has amassed over 4,800 ratings (with over 3,600 positive reviews) and hundreds of TikTok influencers have posted videos saying, “these are the softest sheets ever.” Presumably, this has something to do with its premium bamboo-viscose fabric, which offers a silky, sateen feel and lustrous twill weave. And aside from the fabric being ultra-smooth on the skin, it also contains naturally thermal regulating properties—allowing heat to dissipate—and keeping it chill to the touch all night long. “They've held up well over the past year (no pilling!), and they're breathable enough that you don't wake up in a puddle of sweat, even in the middle of summer,” Davison adds.
Most Durable Sheets
“Yes, these sheets are incredibly expensive, but they turn my bed into a cozy haven,” says fashion editor Abby Hepworth in a PureWow 100 review. “They’re ridiculously soft, help me stay cool in the summer and make me feel like I’m sleeping at a luxury resort (instead of my tiny NYC apartment). I was initially worried about my two kitties tearing them apart, but other than a few punctures, they’ve actually held up really well.” It’s worth mentioning, however, that Hepworth docked a few points for value, because of the cost. “To be honest, I love my [Mellanni sheet set] from Amazon just as much. While I highly recommend these, I’d say only get them if you truly have the cash to spare or if you’re filling out your wedding registry,” she adds.
Best Linen Sheets
Yet another TikTok viral sheets set people are loving right now? This stonewashed linen number from The Citizenry. In another PureWow100 review, Davison writes: “Most sheets start getting pilly and ragged after nonstop washing, but these sheets do the opposite: Like a great pair of jeans, they get better with wear. Admittedly, when I first unboxed them, I was unsure—the French flax felt almost like burlap. It was stiffer than I’d anticipated (especially since I’d been sleeping on either bamboo or brushed microfiber sheets, which have a silky feel). But, with each wash, they softened, becoming cozier and cozier. (It’s worth noting these are machine washable: Just use the gentle cycle and dry on low heat.)”
Plus, Davison also mentions: “While many linen sheets have a tighter weave—about 175 to 190 grams per square meter—these clock in at 160, which makes them lightweight and pretty breathable, so you get good airflow throughout the night.”
Best Percale Sheets
This editor is obsessed with Frette’s percale sheets for two reasons: A) they keep me cool all night long, and B) the set makes me feel like I’m crawling into a neatly made bed at the Four Seasons. For those who don’t know, the Italian label has become synonymous with the high-end hotel industry—and this 100 percent cotton set lives up to its reputation. Not only does the crisp, percale construction offer maximum breathability—which goes a long way during sweltering summers—but it includes a sophisticated, open hemstitched design that makes my bed look like it’s straight out of Architectural Digest.
The fabric is lightweight yet durable, and after a few months of use, it still comes out of the wash looking brand new. My only warning, however, is that this set is ultra-lightweight (as opposed to super soft or adaptive). If you’re looking for a substantial version, I’d recommend going with the brand’s best-selling Doppio Ajour Sheet Set instead (which features a thicker cotton sateen weave).
Best Cotton Sheets
Speaking of an ultra-soft feel: Casper recently released a SuperSoft brushed cotton set, which our tester called, “as snuggly as flannel, and as breathable as bamboo.” The 100 percent organic cotton material is brushed—making it equal parts plush and lightweight—and its satin weave offers extra breathability for anyone who sleeps hot. Plus, per the manufacturer, the sheets are 35 percent longer and 45 percent stronger than regular cottons—which means it’ll get softer with every wash. And of course, as with all Casper products, the company will take back the sheets after a 30-day trial period, and give you a full refund, if you find the set to be too heavy (or vice versa),
Best Bamboo Sheets
"There's a reason that Oprah is obsessed with these [sheets]—they're amazing,” says commerce director Nicole Briese in a review. Indeed, these Cozy Earth sheets have been described as the “softest EVER” by Oprah herself. They feature a bamboo-derived fabric blend (that also happens to be hypoallergenic) and temperature-regulating technology for an airy, breathable feel. “The second I feel them against my skin, I feel a quick little shudder of coolness,” says Briese. “In fact, I worried that they might make me too cold at night at first, but that hasn't been the case—they're just right. They [even] fit my extra-deep mattress, too!”
Best Sateen Sheets
Looking to give your bedroom a Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl upgrade? Parachute's Sateen Sheets are just the (luxurious) ticket. In a comparison of Brooklinen vs. Parachute bedding, this editor says Parachute is the “obvious winner” for its luxurious, velvety weave. I loved how long-staple, certified-Egyptian cotton offered a polished finish, and unlike other sateen sheets, included a four-over-one-under weave—which lends a subtle luster that will gently diminish with washing. Its finish is glossy without looking cheap, and the color (available in white, sand, light grey, blush and cream) holds up in the wash, without pilling, as it intentionally fades to a more muted sheen.
Best Cooling Sheets
Sweaty sleepers; this one goes out to you. In a review of the best cooling sheets, Editor-in-Chief Jillian Quint compares sleeping on this set to “sliding into a wine sleeve straight from the freezer.” Its organic percale fabric is dipped in a special garment wash process for extra softness/breathability—and its durable, 300-thread count construction ensures it’ll hold up in the wash (on cold). “These are actually my go-to summer sheets because they're so light and moisture-wicking (a little too light for winters in my drafty bedroom),” Quint adds. “I love how crisp they feel, especially in an air-conditioned room.” The set also comes with a flex fitted sheet—which is designed to stay in place with unique two-way stretch—so you won’t have to worry about it rumpling on especially sticky nights.
Best Organic Sheets
Woven from organically grown French flax with water-saving techniques, this linen pick from Coyuchi is the most sustainable choice on this list. Its classic chambray weave is made from 100 percent GOTS-certified yarns, meaning it’s carefully manufactured to be just as kind to your skin as it is to the planet. However, after testing this organic percale set—which is one of the only undyed options on the market—freelancer Emma Singer found that, “though not the softest to the touch, they are pleasantly crisp and do indeed provide a comfy and cool night’s sleep for folks who run warm.”
Best Sheets for Sensitive Skin
Here, a self-cleaning, hypoallergenic sheet set that prioritizes skincare over anything else. “[Silvon’s sheets] clean themselves for up to 14 days, [where the set] is woven with pretty silver-coated fibers, [making] it naturally antibacterial since silver attracts, kills and prevents bacteria from forming,” explains Lapolla in a review. Meaning: This set has been clinically proven to treat/help prevent breakouts with a special infusion of silver (according to the manufacturer). “The super-soft Supima cotton is extra breathable, making it even easier for your pores to stay clog-free, [and I] immediately loved them for their cool, soft feel. By night two, [I] noticed that the sheets still felt fresh out of the washer. By nights five and ten? Same thing,” Lapolla adds. And while she didn’t notice a significant change in her skin, Lapolla says, “[I] slept sounder than normal knowing [I wasn’t] weren't surrounded by grimey bacteria.”
Reviewers’ Favorite Sheets of 2023
Best Silk Sheets
While we’re on the topic of beauty, this silk sheet set is the secret weapon to waking up with clear skin and shiny, frizz-free hair. Aside from its dreamy feel—which is constructed from 100 percent, 6A-grade mulberry silk—the set has a 22-point score on the momme scale, where it was intentionally crafted with durability and breathability in mind. One reviewer says, “[the sheets are] great for my skin and helped to decrease falling hair,” while another writes: “I have been using these sheets for several years, and they are incredible. I love the washable silk feature, and they hold up extraordinarily well.” Sure, it’s pricey, but what’s beauty without a little (financial) pain?
Best Eucalyptus Sheets
As we mentioned above, Eucalyptus sheets are made of a blend of lyocell fibers derived from eucalyptus wood—so on top of being sustainable and hypoallergenic, these best-selling sheets are also known for its incredibly moisture-wicking properties.
Take it from one reviewer who raves, “We prefer a cooler sleep and smoother feel compared to the cotton sheets we had before—and [this set] is absolutely worth the money if you want a cooler, softer sleep. They feel wonderful on the skin and even though they seem thinner (in a good way) than cotton sheets, they feel just as durable. I also liked how the fitted sheet had the extra white elastic band on the corners to make it stay secure on the bed.” However, they also warn: “If you care about wrinkling, yes, they do wrinkle a bit, but not enough where I would say it's a deal breaker.”
Best Jersey Sheets
Picture your favorite, softest T-shirt. Now, imagine sleeping in an oversized version of that. That’s exactly what you’ll get with this sheet set, which is made with 100 percent cotton that’s been woven with pre-dyed yarn to create a soft jersey material that is as cozy as it is comforting. It comes with a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and pillowcase (and two pillowcases for full to California king beds), and it’ll cost you less than most high-quality tees.
Best Printed Sheets
This 100 percent cotton sheet set has it all: a silky sateen weave, hypoallergenic properties and a vintage-inspired French floral printed pattern that will make a statement in your bedroom. “[My] guest room has a slight French country vibe so this [set] is perfect,” writes one reviewer. “It washed well on a gentle cycle, cool water and low heat dryer. I removed it from dryer—and while there was a fair amount of wrinkling—it was in a good way [it added to the vintage feel].”
Best Microfiber Sheets
This brushed microfiber sheet set will keep your bed looking effortlessly clean and tidy, since it’s not as likely to wrinkle as other materials, allowing for that “I always make my bed” look. The sheets are soft and shrink-resistant, and are available in solid colors, which means they'll be easy to match to any bedroom.
Best Flannel Sheets
Wrap yourself in these 100 percent cotton flannel sheets, which will keep you nice and toasty in the cozier months. Like a good flannel shirt, they’re fuzzy and warm, making everything you want on a cold night (or year-round if you’re one of those people who are always cold). The set also comes with extra deep pockets, so you can sleep easy knowing that everything will stay in place.
Best Colorful Sheets
There’s no rule that your bedsheets have to only be a neutral or a solid color. Turn your bed into the bright spot of your room with this set that’s just as colorful as it is cooling. With a variety of 42 solid colors to choose from, this six-piece collection comes with a flat and fitted sheet and four pillowcases—all of which are fade- and pill-resistant so that your bedroom can stay cheery for years to come.
Best Textured Sheets
Finally, a crochet-embellished set that features a cottagecore-style texture along the edges of its included pillowcases and flat sheet to make it extra unique—especially since it’s comprised of microfiber, which is typically a more basic fabric.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.