ICYMI, those cowboy boots you’ve seen on the streets over the past few years are only growing in popularity (even in the bridal world). At this point, you can find a plethora of western-inspired options to shop everywhere from Nordstrom and Bloomindales to Madewell and Reformation. To fully embrace your inner cowgirl, we’ve broken down some ways to wear the trend—and, of course, where to buy a pair. So whether you’re someone who thinks there’s no such thing as being overdressed or you’re more of a jeans-and-a-T-shirt kind of gal, giddy-up for 16 of our favorite cowboy boots for women to suit your personality.
Giddy-Up ‘Cause We Found the 16 Best Cowboy Boots for Women to Wear This Fall
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
How to Wear Cowboy Boots
They may not be as practical at first glance as our beloved Chelsea boot, but cowboy boots are not as intimidating as you might initially think. From cozy casual to formal elegance, cowboy boots have a certain versatility that make them, dare we say it, the Renaissance shoe. Don’t believe us? We’ve broken down eight ways to style your cowboy boots so you will never have to feel like the one trick pony.
- Pair with a mini dress. We may be in denial that the summer suns have set for good this year, but that doesn’t mean your favorite seasonal pieces have to follow suit. We suggest pairing the traditional western style with dainty feminine cuts or bow embellishments for a fun juxtaposition.
- Modernize vintage-inspired silhouettes. Vintage vibes have been spotted everywhere recently—from the streets of NYFW to the depths of our TikTok feeds, Bridgerton-inspired corsets and midi skirts are having a moment. Meld the trends for a stunning contrast between the delicate, lived-in pieces and the stiff boots.
- Wear under maxi dresses or skirts. A chic and dramatic maxi dress or skirt makes for an unforgettable statement look—especially when paired with cowboy boots. Not to mention, it’s such a chic and easy outfit to throw on that will take you from that job interview to dinner date all in a day’s work.
- Match them to your clothes. There’s nothing cooler than looking effortlessly put together, and these models know all the tricks. If you prefer a monochromatic, neutral look, this one is for you. Simplicity is key.
- Don the blazer and shorts combo. If you want to look polished yet casual, pair your cowboy boots with an oversize blazer and longer jean shorts. Business on top, party on the bottom.
- Layer under or over jeans. No need to break the bank to keep up with the trends. Grab your most lived-in pair of denim and toss on boots instead of sneakers. For a peek-a-boo ‘fit, wear your cowboy boots with your favorite puddle pants or tuck in your baggy jeans to really draw the eye towards your feet.
- Couple with a leather trench. Complement the leather of the cowboy boot with that of a leather trench so you can give those leather blazers a break. We especially love how the hem of the trench coat hits right at the start of the cowboy boots.
- Show off with a mini skirt. Brands like Mui Mui continue to favor the miniskirt look, and there’s no denying how fun it is coupled with cowboy boots. While we know this length can be totally daunting to slip on, follow the nine rules for wearing mini skirts to feel your most confident and look sophisticated.
Best Cowboy Boots at a Glance:
- Best Black Cowboy Boots: Coconuts by Matisse Black Pointed Toe Boot
- Best White Cowboy Boots: Nasty Gal Faux Leather White Cowboy Boots
- Best Mid-Calf Cowboy Boots: Urban Outfitters Sierra Mid-Calf Cowboy Boot
- Best Short Cowboy Boots: Dolce Vita Short Cowboy Boots
- Best Pink Cowboy Boots: Steve Madden West Pink Leather
- Best Fringe Cowboy Boots: Jeffrey Campbell Fringe Cattle Boot
- Best Silver Cowboy Boots: Reformation Otto Mini Silver Western Boot
- Best Square Toe Cowboy Boots: Cleo + Wolf Square Toe Boot
- Best Brown Cowboy Boots: Ganni Brown Suede Cowboy Boots
- Best Off-White Cowboy Boots: Dolce Vita Navene Boots
- Best Lilac Cowboy Boots: Idyllwind Lilac Round Toe Western Boots
- Best Knee-High Cowboy Boots: Steve Madden Lasso Knee-High Suede Cowboy Boot
- Best Tall Cowboy Boots: Billini Tall Off-White Cowboy Boots
- Best Over-the-Knee Cowboy Boots: Isabel Marant Over-the-Knee Leather Cowboy Boots
- Best Trendy Cowboy Boots: Song of Style Lasso Boot
- Best Animal Print Cowboy Boots: Jeffery Campbell Dagget F Cowboy Boots
Our Favorite Cowboy Boots to Shop:
Best black cowboy boots
1. Coconuts by Matisse Black Pointed Toe Boot
There’s nothing like a classic black cowboy boot that’s guaranteed to go with just about everything in your closet.
Best white cowboy boots
2. Nasty Gal Faux Leather White Cowboy Boots
Say “I do” to these beautiful white boots.
Best mid-calf cowboy boots
3. Urban Outfitters Sierra Mid-Calf Cowboy Boot
Yeehaw! We’ll be blasting Shania Twain while rocking these suede stunners.
Best short cowboy boots
4. Dolce Vita Short Cowboy Boots
We love the traditional block heel, appliqué detailing and teal piping on these shorter boots. They’re bound to get a few double takes peeking out from your dress or skirt.
Best pink cowboy boots
5. Steve Madden West Pink Leather
Turn heads in these picture-perfect pink cowboy boots we’re almost certain Barbie herself would wear.
Best fringe cowboy boots
6. Jeffrey Campbell Fringe Cattle Boot
Say it with us: fringe, fringe, fringe!
Best silver cowboy boots
7. Reformation Otto Mini Silver Western Boot
On top of being darn cute, these babies are also sustainably made. Win-win in our books.
Best square toe cowboy boots
8. Cleo + Wolf Square Toe Boot
Cleo + Wolf
Pay your respects to the rancher style with these traditional square cowboy boots. Not to mention, your toes will have ample wiggle room for maximum comfort.
Best brown cowboy boots
9. Ganni Brown Suede Cowboy Boots
Chocolate boots or chocolate bar? Both are delicious to us.
Best off-white cowboy boots
10. Dolce Vita Navene Boots
Don’t let these creamy cowboy boots fool you, they’re in no way vanilla. These Dolce Vita boots are bound to be your go-to pair for all your neutral ‘fit dreams.
Best lilac cowboy boots
11. Idyllwind Lilac Round Toe Western Boots
These are for you, our creative soul sisters—the ones who know the Veri Peri Pantone Color of the Year.
Best knee-high cowboy boots
12. Steve Madden Lasso Knee-High Suede Cowboy Boot
These Chestnut beauties will make you look like you’ve stepped right out of a Luke Bryan music video.
Best tall cowboy boots
13. Billini Tall Off-White Cowboy Boots
How does that saying go again? The higher the boot, the closer to God? Sounds about right to us.
14. Isabel Marant Over-the-Knee Leather Cowboy Boots
Between the embellished silver toe and the stacked heel detailing, we’ll be dreaming about these Isabel Marant boots for the rest of our lives.
15. Song of Style Lasso Boot
Song of Style
Our love for these boots is written in the stars and on our feet. The white stitching adds a modern twist on a classic silhouette.
Best animal print cowboy boots
16. Jeffery Campbell Dagget F Cowboy Boots
Brave enough to wear the animal print trend on your feet? These sleek cowboy boots (emphasis on the cow), make it easy.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.