55 Songs About Summer to Get You Pumped for Warm Weather
When we’re tired of the cold and longing for the sun, summer is the first thing on our mind. Swimsuits, floats and delicious appetizers—it’s all so much more fun with a playlist that sets the mood for the season. Whether you like soothing jazz, dance-pop hits or only songs about surfing, we’ve rounded up 55 songs about summer that will transport you to warm-weather vibes from any location.
2. “Summertime Blues” by Eddie Cochran (1958)
Basically a teenager himself, gone-too-soon ‘50s rocker Cochran channels that adolescent angst of working all summer long.
3. “Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini” by Bryan Hyland (1960)
The cheeky rock-pop song is all about a girl who’s feeling shy showing off her two-piece. While bikinis are everywhere today, the style was considered revealing and daring back in the day. But no matter what you’re wearing—a muumuu or a thong—this golden oldie is fun to bop around to.
4. “Summer Song” by Louis Armstrong (1961)
Sing along to this ode to the season of sun with lyrics like, “Why must summer, ever end…” and, “Love, to me, is like a summer day,” as you pine for those long June through August days.
5. “Surfin’ Safari” by The Beach Boys (1962)
It’s only right that the eponymous Beach Boys would make the song about the Cali water sport. In fact, they made a few more than one…
6. “(Love Is Like a) Heatwave” by Martha and the Vandellas (1963)
Ah, the feeling of the summer heat and love is combined in this '60s hit. With lyrics like, "It's like a heatwave, burning in my heart...," the scorching heat is not the only thing blossoming this season.
7. “Surfer Girl” by The Beach Boys (1963)
Something else the Beach Boys are known for? Their amazing harmonies. In this case, they bring together their love for the surf with their skill for tight chords, and it has us rooting for the song’s couple to stay together forever…well, at least until fall.
8. “Surfin’ U.S.A.” by The Beach Boys (1963)
We don’t even know how to surf, but this is iconic track has us reaching for a board to chase some waves. Hang ten, right?
9. “Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer” by Nat King Cole (1963)
Grabbing a bite, catching a movie and spending time at the beach, Nat King Cole croons all about those nostalgic “lazy-hazy-crazy” summer moments.
10. “Surf City” by Jan & Dean (1963)
This city has it all: summer, surfing and girls. Play this song and fall into this dream where the fun never ends. (Don’t forget your surf board.)
11. “A Summer Song” by Chad & Jeremy (1964)
The English pop duo sure know a thing or two about lost summer love with lyrics like, “And when the rain, beats against my windowpane, I’ll think of summer days again, and dream of you.”
12. “Under The Boardwalk” by The Drifters (1964)
The best part about warm weather? A chance to hang out at the boardwalk. This soulful hit brings us right back to the our favorite seasonal vacay spots.
13. “California Girls” by The Beach Boys (1965)
Before Katy Perry, the “Kings of Surf Music” dedicated a whole song to West Coast girls. And hey, they’re not wrong.
14. “Summer In The City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful (1966)
“All around, people looking half dead, walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head…” Someone sure knows about summers in New York City.
15. “Summer Wind” by Frank Sinatra (1966)
While Frank Sinatra sang hits like “New York, New York” and “Come Fly with Me,” he also made us wallow in heartbreak at this summer love song.
16. “Summer Rain” by Johnny Rivers (1968)
Johnny Rivers describes the moments he and his love danced all summer long. Talk about a romantic.
17. “Hot Fun In The Summertime” by Sly & The Family Stone (1969)
Between the harmonies and upbeat instrumental beats, this soulful track can revive any summer shindig.
18. “Summer Breeze” by Seals & Crofts (1972)
Roll down the car windows, listen to this feel-good song and just take in that good ‘ole summer breeze.
19. “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper (1972)
Remember when the last school bell finally rang? Add head-banging beats and rock legend Alice Cooper and you have a heavy-metal version of that exact feeling.
20. “Saturday in the Park” by Chicago (1972)
Inspired by the excitement of Central Park, the band Chicago paints a picture of people coming together to enjoy the weather at one of the most beloved and traversed public places in the city.
21. “Summer” by War (1976)
That first line captures it all: “Ridin’ ‘round town with all the windows down…” That ‘70s feeling is still very much alive in this R&B single.
22. “In The Sun” by Blondie (1976)
While we always have “Heart of Glass” and “Rapture” on repeat, this 1976 rock song is the perfect addition to a day at the beach.
23. “Rockaway Beach” by The Ramones (1977)
This 1977 song is an ode to the largest public beach in Queens, and it might just convince you to book your next getaway to the sandy shore.
24. “You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)” by Meat Loaf (1977)
If anyone can sing passionately about a summer fling, it’s Meatloaf. Take it from the singer, “There’s not another moment to waste!” and make the most out of the steamy season.
25. “Summer Nights” by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John (1978)
The duet between John Travolta and Oliva Newton-John will have you singing “tell me more, tell me more” as their characters relay the memories of those faithful months together (even if they have a different perspective on it).
26. “Sun Is Shining” by Bob Marley (1978)
With lyrics like “Sun is shining, the weather is sweet...Make you wanna move your dancing feet now,” it brings us back to some of our favorite barbecues and chill summer days.
27. “Hot Stuff” by Donna Summer (1979)
While it's not really about summer, the funky melody and Donna's vocals are enough to hit the dance floor this season. (Plus, summer is literally her name. That has to count for something, right?)
28. “Summer Night City” by ABBA (1979)
This Swedish pop group has some of the most iconic songs in music history (Think: “Dancing Queen,” “Mamma Mia,” to name a few). So it’s no surprise they have a summer hit to get you on your feet.
29. “Vacation” by The Go-Gos (1981)
Siri, play us a song to help get over someone. This ‘80s jam from the all-girl band The Go-Go’s embodies the struggle of moving on from a summer romance. With punk icon Belinda Carlisle on vocals, we give you permission to rock out.
30. “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama (1983)
Think crowded cities, burning hot pavement, and the sun beating down on your back, and you’ll get this funky track from another all-female girl group.
31. “Suddenly Last Summer” by The Motels (1983)
Could this be the ‘80iest song of all time? It might just be, and that’s why we love it.
32. “That Summer Feeling” by Jonathan Richman (1983)
Grab the marshmallows and get the ghost stories ready—this acoustic melody may be veer into the melancholy side, but it sure makes us feel like we’re around a campfire.
33. “Walking On Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves (1983)
Grab a dance partner and bust a move with this feel-good pop song. And don’t forget to sing out every time the chorus comes on.
34. “The Boys Of Summer” by Don Henley (1984)
Don Henley reflects on an old relationship and accepts the past for what is...a fond memory. (A fond memory that we’re adding to our playlist, stat.)
35. “Summer of ‘69” by Bryan Adams (1985)
Certain summers stick out clearly in our minds, like the summer 1969 filled with romance and freedom. Oh, you don’t remember 1969? This song will jog your memory.
36. “Wipeout” by Fat Boys and The Beach Boys (1987)
The Fat Boys trio and the Beach Boys joined bizarro forces to produce this romp that rock lovers and early hip-hop aficionados can both agree earn a spot on the BBQ playlist.
37. “It Takes Two” by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock (1988)
Whether you're hosting a BBQ or got invited to a summer shindig, chances are this '80s song is on the top of the party playlist.
39. “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (1991)
This epically ‘90s summer jam by a young Will Smith is mandatory to play at every block party, OK?
40. “Summer Girls” by LFO (1999)
From Home Alone to Abercrombie and Fitch, play LFO’s 1999 hit and make a fun game out of it by counting all the cultural references. Whoever loses has to karaoke to the song later.
41. “We’re Gonna Save The Summer” by The Pearlfishers (1999)
What would you do to save a summer love? From the looks of the Pearlfishers’ lyrics, they would do anything, “We’re gonna chase away all the dark clouds, we’re gonna save the summer, we’ll save the summer…”
42. “Island In The Sun” by Weezer (2001)
Picture a sunny paradise as the indie rock track reminds you how fun summer can be. So, put on some shades, sway to the upbeat sounds and sing along to the “hip, hip” of the song.
43. “Hot in Herre” by Nelly (2002)
This 2002 hit explains the summer sun to a T. Seriously, we completely agree with Nelly on this one. Sometimes you just want to take your clothes off (especially if your AC is acting up).
44. “Summer Love” by Justin Timberlake (2006)
Grab your significant other—or crush—and dance along to this pop banger as the one and only J.T. brings you back to the wonders of 2006 and the thrill of falling in love.
45. “Toes” by Zac Brown Band (2006)
A vacation sounds nice if a beach, a nice cold beer and warm weather are involved. Lead singer Zac Brown sings all about a trip to Mexico and we’re ready to book a flight.
46. “Constructive Summer” by The Hold Steady (2008)
Grab a cold one from the cooler and shake it out to this track about taking the season by its horns.
47. “California Gurls” by Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg (2010)
One of the summer anthems of the 2000s, Perry devotes a song to the oh-so unforgettable Cali girls. While you’re dancing to the pop beats, we’ll be booking our next vacay to the Golden State.
48. “Summertime Sadness” Lana Del Ray (2012)
Lana Del Ray is known for sad love ballads, and, shocker, “Summertime Sadness” is no different. It’ll take you on a rollercoaster of emotions, so we hope you’re strapped in for the ride.
50. “Summer” by Calvin Harris (2014)
Nothing screams summer festivals, friends and dancing until the sun goes down like this 2014 hit by DJ Calvin Harris. The second the beat drops we have no choice but to dance the night away.
51. “Cool for the Summer” by Demi Lovato (2015)
The upbeat pop song is all about taking risks and making a move on your summer crush before the season is over. Hey, if Demi Lovato is telling you to go for your crush, it’s gotta be the right move.
52. “Summer Girl” by HAIM (2017)
The sister pop rock trio croons this cool, jazzy love song that sings sweetly of Los Angeles and the healing power of unconditional love.
53. “I Like It” by Cardi B featuring Bad Bunny and J Balvin (2018)
In 2018, we started the summer strong with this Cardi B number. From sampling the '67 hit "I Like It Like That" to fusing hip-hop and salsa beats (and adding Bad Bunny and J Balvin to the track), we can't stop playing it every time the season comes around.
54. “Hot Girl Summer” by Megan Thee Stallion feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign (2019)
The term “Hot Girl Summer” took over 2019 in more ways than one. This is powerful female anthem that’s all about calling for to women live out their best lives in the season of the sun. So blast this summer smash at your next girls’ night.
55. “Watermelon Sugar” by Harry Styles (2019)
While many fans have mixed interpretations of the song’s meaning (aka being more than enjoying a nice bowl of summery fruits), you can’t deny the lyrics and guitar-horns sections are peak summer vibes.