As much as we’d love to have lush, bouncy hair, our strands would more accurately be described as thin, flat or limp. But fear not: There are actually a ton of shampoos that cleanse your scalp and pump up the volume. We spoke with a panel of experts for some clarity.
The 12 Best Volumizing Shampoos That Will Revive Even the Limpest Strands
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
Meet The Experts
- Philip B. is a hairstylist and founder of Philip B Haircare.
- Erinn Courtney is a natural hair professional and StyleSeat Pro.
- Amy Stollmeyer is a lead hairstylist and co-founder of DESIGNME.
What are the benefits of using a volumizing shampoo?
On limp locks, a volumizing shampoo can really make wash day ten times better than using a regular one. Here are three key reasons why:
- It cleanses more deeply. “A volumizing shampoo is designed to clear away excess sebum at the roots and eliminate any buildup. It also gives strands more movement and bounce,” says Philip B.
- It thickens fine strands. “A great formula infuses moisturizing properties (like keratin protein) to thicken, lift and strengthen strands—without any additional weight,” explains Philip B.
- It adds bounce. “Volumizing shampoo helps your hair look fuller and thicker,” says Courtney. “It will also help you achieve that weightless bounce and an overall healthier look.”
What hair type can benefit from using a volumizing shampoo?
People with fine, oily and/or thin hair will benefit the most from adding a volumizing shampoo to their haircare routine. All experts recommend using a volumizing formula one to two times a week for the best results. Philip B. adds that people with very oily locks should alternate between a clarifying shampoo and a volumizing shampoo bi-weekly for an even deeper clean.
As for other hair types, Philip B. advises that you skip volumizing shampoos for something more nourishing instead. “Volumizing shampoo is not designed for those with frizzy, dry, coarse or more textured curly hair. Those hair types, as well as people with aging or super damaged hair require a more intensive shampoo for deep hydration, smoothing and shine,” adds Philip B.
What ingredients should you look for in a volumizing shampoo?
Ingredients like biotin, hyaluronic acid and polymers can stimulate scalp circulation (which can help with hair growth and strengthen strands), while also maintaining moisture and volume.
On the flip side, you want to avoid ingredients that weigh your hair down, such as parabens, sulfates and mineral oils. “A combination of these ingredients can cause skin irritation and excessive dryness on the scalp and follicles,” cautions Stollmeyer.
Now that we’ve got that settled, here are the 12 best volumizing shampoos, according to our panel of experts (and some super-enthusiastic reviewers).
Best Volumizing Shampoos At a Glance:
- Best Gentle Formula: Living Proof Full Shampoo
- Best Vegan Formula: Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo
- Best for Color-Treated Hair: L’Oréal EverPure Volume Shampoo
- Best Scent: Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo
- Best for Shine: JVN Embody Daily Volumizing Shampoo
- Best Salon Treatment: Redken Volume Injection Shampoo
- Best Budget: Monday Haircare Volume Shampoo
- Best for Mature Hair: Better Not Younger Wake Up Call Volumizing Shampoo
- Best for Exfoliation: Christophe Robin Volume Shampoo Paste
- Stylist Pick: Ouai Fine Hair Shampoo
- Most Nourishing: Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo
- Best for Softness: DESIGNME Puff.Me Volumizing Shampoo
1. Living Proof Full Shampoo
Best Gentle Formula
This volumizing shampoo will give you a gentle yet thorough wash. The sulfate-free blend of amino acids and peptides removes any residue from your strands, so you end up with a cleaner and fluffier mane.
2. Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo
Best Vegan Formula
Calling all vegans: This volumizing formula is cruelty-free and made without any animal products. Ginger and ginseng work to stimulate hair follicles while biotin supports long-term growth. Just give it a little time to really work its magic, as results are a bit more gradual.
3. L’oréal Everpure Volume Shampoo
Best for Color-Treated Hair
With over 2,000 five-star reviews, this budget-friendly pick has earned a reputation for reviving flat hair. The sulfate-free formula protects colorful tresses, while boosting volume and thoroughly cleansing the scalp.
4. Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo
This plant-based formula features kaolin clay to soak up excess oils and certified-organic acacia gum to add volume and softness. With notes of jasmine, peppermint, palmarosa and ylang-ylang, it also smells divine. Heads up: You’ll only need to use a small amount for it to work its magic.
5.Jvn Embody Daily Volumizing Shampoo
Best for Shine
Bring back body and shine to lifeless locks with this shampoo. In it you’ll find nourishing ingredients like squalene and aloe leaf juice, which help hydrate and restore damaged hair over time. Reviewers also rave about the fragrance, which has notes of jasmine, bergamot and sandalwood.
6. Redken Volume Injection Shampoo
Best Salon Treatment
In addition to cleansing your scalp and hydrating your strands, this shampoo brings volume, shine and softness to fine hair. Its signature “bodifying complexion” features filloxane, a softening polymer that offers a boost without drying out your mane.
7. Monday Haircare Volume Shampoo
The clean formula (it’s loaded with coconut oil and ginger root extract) delivers hydration and stimulates hair growth for a fuller appearance. Plus, the aesthetically pleasing pink bottle gives off luxurious vibes with a super affordable price tag.
8. Better Not Younger Wake Up Call Volumizing Shampoo
Best for Aging Hair
Whether you have colored, chemical-treated and/or graying locks, this volumizing shampoo deeply cleanses, while still preserving moisture and volume. The plant-based ingredients include burdock root, hops and bamboo to nourish the scalp and thicken strands with every wash.
9. Christophe Robin Volume Shampoo Paste
Best for Exfoliation
This paste-to-foam shampoo deeply exfoliates your scalp and gives flat strands a boost of volume. It’s formulated with rassoul clay and rose extract to lift hair at the roots and add a visible thickness throughout your mane. Plus, the rose scent is a great touch.
10. Ouai Fine Hair Shampoo
Courtney recommends this volumizing shampoo for anyone with fine, flat hair. The gentle formula, featuring biotin and chia seed oil brings volume and bounces back to lackluster locks. It also includes keratin that strengthens weakened strands, smooths frizz and adds shine throughout your mane.
11. Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo
Yes, volume is your number one priority (which this shampoo definitely helps with), but that doesn’t mean you should neglect your other hair needs—like proper nourishment. With ingredients like green coconut water and cottonseed oil, this pick hydrates and detangles locks. The formula also includes polymers, vitamins and proteins to protect your strands against environmental damage and harsh UV rays.
12. Designme Puff.me Volumizing Shampoo
Best for Softness
A quarter-sized amount is all you’ll need for clean, lush hair. The key ingredient—sunflower seed oil—increases moisture, improves breakage and restores strands. Tip: Spend at least two minutes massaging this into your strands to remove any build up and leave a cleaner scalp behind.