25 Totally Free Ways to Practice Self-Care at Home
Finding ways to prioritize your mental and physical health (and yes, even pamper yourself) is paramount on a normal day but particularly essential in times of stress. But when spa days, yoga classes and the latest blockbuster are off the menu, it can be hard to find ways to relax. Here, 25 totally free ways to practice self-care from the comfort of your own home.
1. Take a long, luxurious bath. Pop on a relaxing playlist, light a candle or two and wait for your skin to get pruny.
2. Write a to-done list. Aka things you’ve already accomplished versus things you have to do.
3. Take a nap. Twenty minutes or two hours. Choose your own adventure.
4. Call an old friend. A good catch-up sesh is sure to put a smile on your face.
5. Take a walk. Get some fresh air (away from crowds).
6. Watch a Netflix movie or show that always makes you laugh. Might we suggest one of these hysterical, female-led comedies?
7. Do a yoga tutorial on YouTube. We’re huge fans of Yoga with Kassandra’s free videos.
8. Put your phone on “Do Not Disturb.” If only for an hour, spending time without texts, emails and Instagram stories looming over your head is so refreshing.
9. Paint your nails. It’s cheaper and often longer-lasting than a salon mani.
10. Look at positive affirmations on Pinterest. Cheesy? Yes. Inspiring? That, too.
11. Watch videos of animals being cute. Whether you’re into puppies, pandas or polar bears, @AnimalsVideos is an Instagram treasure trove of adorable clips.
12. Tidy up your house. Do laundry, de-clutter, meal prep. You’ll feel so much better once it’s done. (In fact, here's a complete checklist to deep clean your kitchen until it sparkles...in less than 2 hours.)
13. Create calming morning and nighttime routines. Think about the things that set you up for a happy day and a restful night and turn them into habits.
14. Pick up that book you’ve been meaning to read. Wine is optional, but recommended.
15. Light a candle and listen to music. Everything feels more relaxing with a candlelit glow.
16. Get into your comfiest clothes and meditate. Here are four super-simple ways to start.
17. Clean up your social media follows. That Australian teenager whose abs always send you into a downward spiral? You officially have our permission to unfollow her. Or even just mute her posts.
18. Try a calming breathing technique. It takes only 16 seconds to feel more relaxed—what are you waiting for?
19. Create a gratitude list. Physically writing down the things you’re thankful for will make you appreciate them even more.
20. Jam out to your favorite playlist. You + Beyoncé’s greatest hits = unbridled joy.
21. Take your time going through your skin-care routine. That 12-step routine you bought all the creams and serums to try but never actually do? Give it a weeklong test and chronicle your results. Was it worth it?
22. Do something nice for someone else. Whether that means mailing someone a card, buying a gift certificate for a friend or taking out your neighbor's trash, random acts of kindness are so satisfying.
23. Eat something green. Then follow it up with something chocolate, because balance.
24. Listen to a podcast. Cue up an inspirational or fun podcast to take your mind off things (or just make folding laundry a lot more fun). May we suggest Your Best Life with Anna Victoria or Royally Obsessed?
25. Pencil “me time” into your schedule. Yep, physically block off a few times during the week where you can’t plan anything else.