Strawberry Galette with Whipped Cream
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
We would never, ever say no to a slice of pie, but we’re even more inclined to indulge when there’s a twist. Such is the case with this strawberry galette from Kelly Senyei’s The Secret Ingredient Cookbook. The crust, filling and whipped cream topping each contain a surprise ingredient to up the delicious factor.
“The marriage of sweet fruit and sour vinegar hit[s] all the flavor high notes,” she writes. “I’ve put this duo, plus a bit of fresh rosemary, to work inside a flaky, free-form galette crust. A second secret ingredient makes its debut in my go-to homemade whipped cream, which gets shine and tang from sour cream.”
If you have leftovers—which, you might not—they make an excellent breakfast.
Excerpted from The Secret Ingredient Cookbook © 2021 by Kelly Senyei. Photography © 2021 by Robert Bredvad. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
1¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
1½ tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
3 tablespoons ice water
Filling and Assembly
4 cups quartered strawberries
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Demerara sugar, for topping (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
⅓ cup sour cream
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Make the dough: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, rosemary, white sugar and salt. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand. With the motor running, slowly stream in the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball.
2. Shape the dough into a disk and wrap it securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
3. Make the filling: In a large bowl, stir together the strawberries, white sugar, cornstarch and balsamic vinegar. Set the filling aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Lightly flour your work surface. Remove the dough from the fridge, then using a rolling pin, roll into a 14-inch round. Drape the dough around your rolling pin and transfer it to the baking sheet.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Using your fingers, fold the edges of the dough up and over the filling. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash, then sprinkle it with cane sugar if desired.
7. Bake the galette until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes. Set the galette aside to cool completely while you make the whipped cream. (The juices in the galette will thicken as it cools.)
8. Make the whipped cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the heavy cream, sour cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract until medium peaks form.
9. Slice the galette into wedges, then top with whipped cream and serve.