Cheater’s Mini Strawberry-Vanilla Galettes
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
The minute the farmers market starts filling up with fresh fruit, we’re crafting plans for a seasonal dessert. But we also don’t have the time or energy to spend the day toiling over pie crust or delicate cake batters. Nope, these fuss-free cheater’s mini strawberry-vanilla galettes are the answer to our craving. (They’re only seven ingredients!)
The tartlets start with store-bought puff pastry (our go-to trick for treats on the fly), and the filling is a simple mixture of fruit, sugar and cornstarch, plus vanilla paste for flavor. We love the way it flecks the galettes with vanilla beans, but you can substitute extract if that’s all you have. A dollop of softly whipped cream, a shower of chopped pistachios and it’s officially spring.
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and halved
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, whisked
Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
Softly whipped cream and chopped pistachios, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla paste. Set aside.
3. Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface so it’s slightly thinner. Cut into four rectangles; repeat with the other sheet of puff. Divide the rectangles between the prepared baking sheets.
4. Spoon about ½ cup of the strawberries into the center of each puff pastry rectangle. Fold up the edges, working your way around each rectangle, so each pastry becomes a mini galette.
5. Brush the edges of the pastries with the egg; sprinkle generously with demerara sugar. Transfer to the oven and bake until the edges are puffed and deeply golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Cool completely before serving with whipped cream and chopped pistachios.