Baked Feta Soup
Who could forget the oh-so-trendy TikTok recipe for baked feta pasta? Now that your grocery store is finally restocked on cheese, you can make Feel Good Foodie blogger Yumna Jawad’s baked feta soup. Think of it like a rich, creamy version of your typical tomato (or a grown-up version of Spaghetti-Os).
The recipe starts just like the original, with a dish of cherry tomatoes and a block of feta. The pasta comes in the form of orzo, which is the perfect size to fit on a spoon. If you don’t like orzo, try another small pasta shape, like ditalini or even mini shells.
2 pints cherry tomatoes
One 8-ounce block feta cheese, plus more for garnish
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
¾ cup orzo or any short pasta
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the cherry tomatoes in an oven-safe baking dish. Pour ¼ cup olive oil on top, and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
2. Place the feta in the middle of the baking dish surrounded by the cherry tomatoes, flipping a few times to coat it with the olive oil and seasoning.
3. Bake until the cherry tomatoes burst and the feta melts, 35 to 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the garlic, canned tomatoes, vegetable broth and thyme, and gently simmer over low heat until the tomatoes in the oven are done roasting.
5. When the tomatoes and feta are done, transfer the mixture to the simmering pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the basil. Bring the soup back to a simmer and add the orzo. Simmer until the orzo is fully cooked, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve with more crumbled feta, basil and black pepper.