No matter what stage of life you’re in, there’s no pick-me-up quite like a gummy bear. Believe it or not, these chewy, teddy bear-shaped candies are a fool-proof way of boosting both your energy and mood, what with their high carbohydrate content (the body’s No. 1 preferred source of fuel!) and adorable shapes that are *almost* too cute to eat. We researched the best gummy bears for you to add to your snacking arsenal based on numerous factors, including taste, ingredients and packaging.
These 10 Brands Make the Best Gummy Bears You’ve Ever Tried
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
What to Look For in a Gummy Bear
There are a few things to look for when selecting the perfect gummy bear snack.
- Flavor: Typically, the label will display a bag’s flavor selections. Check them out to see if they’re to your liking (or if there are any off-limits ones you’d rather not go for). Then again, you don’t need to write off a whole bag if there’s one flavor you’re not into—we’re positive a hungry friend or co-worker would take them off your hands! If it’s long-lasting intensity that won’t fade mid-chew that you’re after, look for the addition of citric acid, which works to “wake up” the flavor.
- Dietary restrictions: A gummy bear (and all candy, for that matter) is considered vegan-friendly if it’s void of animal byproducts. Many types of gummy bears are made with gelatin, a derivative of pig collagen, so definitely steer clear of that if you’re leading a strictly plant-based diet. Additionally, gummy bears tend to be high in sugar. If you currently suffer from any conditions that might prevent you from safely consuming sugar or experiencing insulin spikes, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or migraines, you’ll want to check with your healthcare practitioner before treating yourself to gummy bears (you can also opt for a sugar-free version). Luckily, there are tons of gummy bears on the market that are geared toward folks with all kinds of dietary preferences and restrictions, whether you’re eating keto, paleo or allergen-free.
- Packaging: Did you know that we, as humans, eat with our eyes first? As trivial as it may seem, there is a lot to be said about an alluring bag that’s emblazoned with bold colors and patterns. Let your eyes guide your taste buds when choosing the perfect bag. It’s seriously part of the fun!
Ready to dig into your dream bag of gummy bears? We’ve sourced the best ones right down below.
Best Gummy Bears
- Best Overall Gummy Bears: Haribo Goldbears Gummi Candy
- Best Low Sugar Gummy Bears: SmartSweets Sour Gummy Bears
- Best Gummy Bear Flavors: Albanese 12 Flavor Gummi Bears
- Best Fancy Gummy Bears: Dylan’s Candy Bar Gummy Bears Cupcake
- Best Champagne Gummy Bears: Sugarfina Bubble Bears
- Best Organic Gummy Bears: YumEarth Gummy Bears
- Best Chocolate-Covered Gummy Bears: Muddy Bear Chocolate-Covered Gummy Bears
- Best Natural Gummy Bears: Lovely Candy Co. Honey Gummy Bears
- Best Vegan Gummy Bears: Project 7 Gummy Bears
- Best Cinnamon Gummy Bears: Jelly Belly Cinnamon Gummy Bears
1. Haribo Goldbears Gummi Candy
Best Overall Gummy Bears
Hailed as the original gummy bear, Haribo’s gummi candy has been tantalizing our taste buds for just shy of 100 years!
WHAT WE LIKE: The vibrant colors of these candies, which come 12 bags to a box, are to *dye* for. They have citric acid to keep them fresher, longer, and certain flavors, like pineapple and strawberry, come in unexpected colors (strawberry is green and pineapple is white, for instance), to keep your tongue guessing. The gold packaging, meanwhile, is evocative of the sought-after Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka’s famous Wonka Bars, further adding to its nostalgic appeal.
2. Smartsweets Fruity Gummy Bears
Best Low Sugar Gummy Bears
With just 4 grams of sugar per bag, SmartSweets’ fruity gummy bears are packed with raspberry, apple, lemon and peach flavors that largely rely on natural sugar alternatives, such as allulose, monk fruit and natural fruit juices.
WHAT WE LIKE: Doesn’t it feel good to dig into the *whole* bag? In addition to their energy-boosting carbs, these single-serve bags are oh-so-satisfying to devour thanks to the 9 grams of prebiotic fiber they’re loaded with to promote better gut health. The sour, sugar-free coating also lends a surprising zest that will leave you feeling totally blissed out—and reaching for seconds.
3. Albanese 12 Flavor Gummi Bears
Best Gummy Bear Flavors
Life is like a bag of gummy bears: You never know what you’re going to get! That’s especially true of this five-pack of Albanese gummy bears, which comes jammed to the brim with 12 different flavors in a sweet, soft and chewy bite.
WHAT WE LIKE: These flavors are a departure from your standard lemon and cherry. Here, you’ve also got mango, pink grapefruit and blue raspberry, to name a few, making for an entire dessert table in a bag. They contain carnauba leaf wax to prevent sticking plus citric acid to boot.
4. Dylan’s Candy Bar Gummy Bears Cupcake
Best Fancy Gummy Bears
Sure, a handful of gummy bears is a super kind gesture, but when you really want to up the ante, it’s this stunning Dylan’s Candy Bar gummy bear keepsake box your loved ones will be sure to cherish for years to come.
WHAT WE LIKE: Beyond the unique display case that appeals to our peepers and can be used as storage well after the last bite, you’ll get an assortment of 12 of Dylan’s Candy Bar’s classic gummy bear flavors, including lemon, mango and pineapple—mmm!
5. Sugarfina Bubble Bears
Best Champagne Gummy Bears
Infused with vintage Dom Pérignon champagne, these Sugarfina gummy bears boast sophisticated flavors of Brut and Rose. They also come in stackable cubes that will look great on a tablescape (and even better on your dessert plate).
WHAT WE LIKE: Despite their name, these adorably packaged gummy bears are actually non-alcoholic (the booze is cooked out of the candy), so they’re a great way to get the party started in your mouth while still being able to drive home. Natural flavors, like black currant and carrot, are used to give the gummies a sweet, fruity taste.
6. Yumearth Gummy Bears
Best Organic Gummy Bears
Made in a peanut-free facility, these organic YumEarth gummy bears are safe for those with allergies, including sensitivities to soy, egg and dairy.
WHAT WE LIKE: Tasty flavors, like Pomegranate Pucker and Perfectly Peach, will be just as fun to eat as they are to say. These gummy bears are made with certified organic ingredients, natural colors derived from the likes of apple, pumpkin and lemon concentrates and come in single-serve portions, so you can throw ‘em in your work bag without a second thought.
7. Muddy Bears Chocolate-covered Gummy Bears
Best Chocolate-Covered Gummy Bears
If you’re looking for something extra-special, consider a chocolate-covered gummy bear, like these ones from Muddy Bears. The fruity flavors will pair perfectly with the confectionary treat (chocolate fondue, anyone?).
WHAT WE LIKE: There’s no need to pick between your two favorite snacks. With Muddy Bears, you can have your chocolate and eat it, too. Because these bears are enrobed in creamy milk chocolate, you’ll also stay fuller for longer than you would if the gummy bears were eaten alone.
8. Lovely Candy Co. Honey Gummy Bears
Best Natural Gummy Bears
A blend of cane sugar and honey pack this treat with loads of sweetness in delectable flavors, like apple and orange.
WHAT WE LIKE: Because it's free of gelatin, this delicious, small-batch snack might be a good choice for those on plant-based diets—just note that since the brand's substituted honey is derived from bees, it might not be suitable for vegans. These gummy bears even get their coloring from natural ingredients, such as spirulina, along with fruit and vegetable juices.
9. Project 7 Gummy Bears
Best Vegan Gummy Bears
If animal byproducts, sugar and carbs are four words that don’t mix with your diet (we’re looking at you, keto fam), you’d do well to check out these vegan Project 7 gummies, which feature just 3 grams of sugar and 6 grams of carbs per serving.
WHAT WE LIKE: In addition to the keto-friendly factor these gummies provide, they’re also vegan, since they don’t use gelatin for their stickiness and they’re naturally colored with spices, like turmeric, for their unique flavors (think Front Porch Lemonade and Blackberry Kiss). Better yet, the company works with seven different non-profits (hence the name).
10. Jelly Belly Cinnamon Gummy Bears
Best Cinnamon Gummy Bears
You might recognize Jelly Belly for its jelly beans, but its bears, too, pack a serious punch—especially when they come in sizzling-hot flavors, like spicy cinnamon.
WHAT WE LIKE: These Jelly Belly gummy bears come in a resealable package, so you can safely stow them away for safe-keeping and to retain their soft and chewy texture. They’re coated in a light dusting of sugar, and are sure to keep your breath cinnamon-fresh.